jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
Tax externalities.

The atmosphere is a common. Not taxing the effects of blowing CO2 into the atmosphere is a demonstration of a tragedy of the commons.

You wouldn't want people to just park their car on your local playground - you'd want to discourage that. You can put up a fence, you can use a tax, etc. This is no different.

^-^

-Crissa
That’s not what he said though. He said he wanted to maliciously tax people to the point they have no choice but to bow to his way of thinking. Huge difference to me.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
That’s not what he said though. He said he wanted to maliciously tax people to the point they have no choice but to bow to his way of thinking. Huge difference to me.
That's what you said. That's not what he said.

The externalities are super-expensive right now. Any tax would probably be too low.

-Crissa

MestizoGris

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 and 3 bicycles
Occupation
Retired Energy Engineer
Country flag
We have a 2018 model 3, and a CT and an Aptera on order, I'm retiring soon. Both were put on order in moments of exuberance for all things electric. Although having the CT would be great for overlanding and for the odd job I need it for (plus it's just BladeRunner cool), I just think it would be cheaper and better for the planet to get down to one car, we are not going to need two. We got the Aptera in a 2 for 1 deal, and my wife's sister got the other. We also live in the mountains. I don't think the Aptera is versatile enough for a single future vehicle, nor is the model 3. So I've really been thinking it may be a model Y future. I have a small trailer when I need to haul stuff, and it's got more room than my Subaru Crosstrek. So were really on the fence as to what to do. The CT will also just barely fit (I think) in my garage, so that may also be a deciding factor once we see the final specs (not convinced we've seen that). We have solar and battery (plus solar hot water). Not sure what we'll end up, but I can guarantee it will be electric! I'm already planning to modify my dual sport motorcycle to electric (just gotta hurry up with those 4680s). We are done with ICE even though I come from 2 generations of ICE mechanics - electric is just better.

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
If you really want to be environmentally friendly or economical then you won't be driving your CT by yourself for commuting long distances without a load or need for a truck. While relatively efficient and potentially clean, the energy used by the CT on a per single passenger mile basis is much higher than a model 3 and probably triple that of an Aptera. This energy could be better used elsewhere. The CT also won't be cheap to drive, tires and insurance being major ticket items. The price of electricity should also be going up. Utah is currently $.10/kWhr. I could also see us paying for roads on metric ton/1000kM basis at some time and abandoning the road tax system. That would be the right way to do it anyway.

Personally I think the guys driving the big fancy trucks to the office are tools. I got rid of my truck for that very reason and use trailers and our Toyota Sienna for occasional camping and heavy work type stuff.

Now in my perfect world we would have a CT and small BEV. The ecobox would be used as much as possible and either my wife or I would drive it depending on who had the longest drive with out the need for the CT. But I am married to a strong willed gal. She hates swapping vehicles because she always is missing something. She has made if very clear she will be choosing her next vehicle by herself. I am pretty sure it won't be an Aptera. Most likely a small to mid sized SUV ice (plug in hybrid if I am lucky or if very lucky maybe the model y will come way down in price and she might spring for that.) So I guess I will be that guy driving a truck everywhere when he really doesn't need to or I will need 3 vehicles for 2 drivers. (assuming my young adult children actually leave the house we currently have 6 vehicles around)

So the question is what will be your companion vehicles if any?
Did anyone else see the clean technica rendering and specs for their proposed model A?
I thought it was awesome. I never got the video to load but I presume it was about the scissor doors and maybe moving seats for ease of entry. If they could do this right this will be an amazing compliment to the CT. While I like the hatch back version of the model 3 renderings (Model 2??) I don't see it as the $25k model.

https://cleantechnica.com/2021/11/20/tesla-model-a-the-tesla-mini-car-we-want-to-see/