John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I am headed a different route and creating a remote office experience. Working on a removable expandable insert design. The same approach can be used for camping. I like rigid walls so will see what can be accomplished when I receive delivery.

pull up to a cliff, hvac into bed will climate control my workspace. Toilets are a concern. backup plan is just working out of the cabin. I don’t think I want to pull seats.
Sponsored

OP
OP

John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
Here is two views of a guy my height (6'3")
1. in the windowless vault (incredibly claustrophobic)
and
2. half in the vault/half back seat. (feels do-able, but requires a Mid-gate)
Another reason I feel so strongly more room is needed (like a pop-top) is bathroom breaks at 3AM. I urban stealth camp a lot so bathrooming requires both planning and space.
Tesla Cybertruck CT with midgate as motorhome. Vault Human

Last edited:

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Here is two views of a guy my height
1. in the vault and
2. half in the vault/half back seat.
Another reason I feel so strongly more room is needed is bathroom breaks at 3AM. I urban stealth camp so bathrooming requires both planning and space.
Vault Human.jpg
You just boosted mafia sales with the graphic

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Ogre have you camped a lot? I squat at Walmart a lot. No tents on the ground there. The vault itself would feel very claustrophobic. No windows. A 6" mattress would leave you only 18" at the feet and 28-30" at your head. To me it would feel like a coffin. A Mid-Gate would allow 24" at the feet and maybe 33-36" at your head. Plus windows. A very likely scenario for me. I currently have a Colorado camper van pop top on a Promaster van. It feels like a palace to me. I wish Tesla would make that.
I've done Walmart parking lots and rest stops. Not my thing. I'm not even sure I'd call that camping.

I mostly camp in disbursed camping areas in national forests or campgrounds.

Here is two views of a guy my height
1. in the vault and
2. half in the vault/half back seat.
Another reason I feel so strongly more room is needed is bathroom breaks at 3AM. I urban stealth camp so bathrooming requires both planning and space.
If it's just the vault, it will be very claustrophobic. If there is a midgate or even just a good passthrough, I think it'll be tolerable. Right now we're sleeping in the back of our Model Y and it's decent. But the Model Y is open to the front seat and you have windows all around and above you.

It's hard to know how dealing with middle of the night pee will work in the Cybertruck without seeing the final design. If there is a midgate it will be simple, just pop out the door. Being 6 feet off the ground and having to climb in/ out of a roof top tent does not sound like an improvement to me regardless.

In a pinch, I've been known to just use a pee bottle.

Mostly... different strokes for different folks.

OP
OP

John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
I've done Walmart parking lots and rest stops. Not my thing. I'm not even sure I'd call that camping.

I mostly camp in disbursed camping areas in national forests or campgrounds.

If it's just the vault, it will be very claustrophobic. If there is a midgate or even just a good passthrough, I think it'll be tolerable. Right now we're sleeping in the back of our Model Y and it's decent. But the Model Y is open to the front seat and you have windows all around and above you.

It's hard to know how dealing with middle of the night pee will work in the Cybertruck without seeing the final design. If there is a midgate it will be simple, just pop out the door. Being 6 feet off the ground and having to climb in/ out of a roof top tent does not sound like an improvement to me regardless.

In a pinch, I've been known to just use a pee bottle.

Mostly... different strokes for different folks.
Thanks Ogre, My Promaster pop top is climb down on the inside. Just to be clear that is what I am trying to do with the Bundutec. Cut a hole in it's bottom to access the porta potty without ever leaving the vehicle. Stealth. But yeah, I prefer boondocking too.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The big thing is range.

Keeping things tight, I expect I can get 450+ miles which means I can get to a lot of places and have reserves for camp mode (warm night sleep with no bugs). As soon as you add a big topper, your range is going to plunge.

OP
OP

John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
I did some math comparing space increase versus aerodynamic drag increase.

CUBES
The vault has 84 cu. ft.
The Bundu in the lowered position adds 67 cu ft above the vault, an increase of 80%
The Bundu raised adds 175 cu ft. Total above the vault 232 cu ft. Nearly quadrupling the vault's cu ft
Tesla Cybertruck CT with midgate as motorhome. CT 10' Bundutec Mid Dow

DRAG
The ‘plate area’ of the CTs trailing surface is 18 sq ft
With the fold out ‘whale tail’ the Bundutop adds only 3sq ft of plate area, an increase (in drag) of 16%.
TRADEOFF
So for a 16% increase in drag (& reduction in range?) I can add nearly triple the cubes.
My wife has had a Model Y for a year and after 15,000 miles my range anxiety is greatly reduced.
These numbers suggest a Bundu on a tri motor formally should get 84% of 550 miles or 462 miles. Real world maybe 350 miles? I am fine with that price for a comfortable bed and a warm place to pee.

For stealth urban camping I could leave the Bundu down. At 51" internal height it would seem to be much more usable than the vault alone.
These are my guesstimates.
Tesla Cybertruck CT with midgate as motorhome. CT 10' Bundutec Mid U

Last edited:
OP
OP

John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
Here are two images that inform my thinking about aerodynamic drag.
Tesla Cybertruck CT with midgate as motorhome. Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 8.19.32 AM copy
Tesla Cybertruck CT with midgate as motorhome. Whaletail CoE

OP
OP

John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
Some dimensions of the vault and pop top seal rim.
Tesla Cybertruck CT with midgate as motorhome. CT Vault & roof window seal

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck CT with midgate as motorhome. tesla-cybertruck-2022-569597_proto

Perhaps something like this? With a couple retractable sections. I would not call it pleasing to the eye though. Limited to MS Paint on this PC, lol.

OP
OP

John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
Very interesting! Looking forward to your elaborating on this design.

OP
OP

John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
So, OK, for the moment just thinking about the stock CT. Here is I think the optimum sleeping position, head to the rear about 20-24" thru the mid-gate and into the vault. Front seats moved to max forward. A fairly easy pivot to egress.
Tesla Cybertruck CT with midgate as motorhome. CT Sleeping position

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
So, OK, for the moment just thinking about the stock CT. Here is I think the optimum sleeping position, head to the rear about 20-24" thru the mid-gate and into the vault. Front seats moved to max forward. A fairly easy pivot to egress.
CT Sleeping position.jpg
Why do you think this is the ideal? Personally, I'd rather have my head where elevation is maximum, I can see out, and I'm closer to the climate control.

Also, your illustration looks way too low. I don't think the back seats will fold that low.
Sponsored