Cube topper vs aero topper vs topperless. (200 KWH battery)

John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
Guesstimating CT Wh/mile @ 70 MPH

Cube topper 420 Wh/mi, range 475 miles
Aero topper 360 Wh/mi, range 555 miles (best value?)
Topperless 350 Wh/mi, range 570 miles

Thoughts? Quantified guesstimates?
Tesla Cybertruck Cube topper vs aero topper vs topperless. (200 KWH battery) CT Topper cube vs aero
Sponsored

Last edited:

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
what is wh/mi to miles per kwh? my leaf uses that. it gets 3.8 avg...
and what kind of miles per kwh does a something like a model x get?

OP
OP

John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
I have a Model Y. It's rated at 248 Wh/mi. Get's that in perfect conditions at 63 mph. We average about 280 Wh/mi @ 65 mph & 330 Wh/mi @ 75 mph.
Your Leaf @ 3.8 mi/Kwh = 263. Wh/mi

OP
OP

John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
Because so much of the aerodynamic drags is in the area of separated airflow behind the vehicle a well designed foldout 'whale tail' could both lower the height of the separation from 57" to 41" and narrow it from 80" to 60" This would reduce the separated area from 4500" sq to about 2500" sq. Just a guess but this would seem to increase efficiency range by 10-20%. You'd just have to fold the whaletail to supercharge.

Tesla Cybertruck Cube topper vs aero topper vs topperless. (200 KWH battery) Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 8.19.32 AM copy 2

Tesla Cybertruck Cube topper vs aero topper vs topperless. (200 KWH battery) CT WT

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag

CT Topper cube vs aero.png
No aeronautical engineer, sailor, results defy experience. Top example; aero-design entry bellow to a large chord depth in middle terminating down to a small concave separation. Flyboys call that a wing. A high lift shape that we use on sailboats to power through chop and medium wind<14kts.
Bottom example; smooth transition off the Cybertruck fwd slope, breakover angle>30° terminates at the vehicle limit in-line and 90° to vertical. Fluid dynamics coaching used shaping underwater hull and keels teaches that air attachment separates with that greater than 30° angle. That separation ==turbulence=drag until it cleanly breaks-off at the nice 90° point.
Both examples fail the efficiency envelope adding additional force vectors in lift and drag. Forced to choose? I‘d redesign the bottom example as a collapsible shell. $0.02

OP
OP

John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
Good idea! I am interested in this one. Maybe a dozen pics. Source is just some rendering house.

Tesla Cybertruck Cube topper vs aero topper vs topperless. (200 KWH battery) cybertruck-tesla-3d-model-low-poly-obj-fbx-ma-stl-unitypackage-uasset-3

Tesla Cybertruck Cube topper vs aero topper vs topperless. (200 KWH battery) cybertruck-tesla-3d-model-low-poly-obj-fbx-ma-stl-unitypackage-uasset-1

Tesla Cybertruck Cube topper vs aero topper vs topperless. (200 KWH battery) cybertruck-tesla-3d-model-low-poly-obj-fbx-ma-stl-unitypackage-uasset-5

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
Vortex generators are used to maintain laminar flow over the surface. They do not create turbulent airflow. As the wing or surface gets bigger or smaller the airflow can separate from the surface and create turbulent airflow. The Vortex generator gives the airstream guidance to maintain smooth flow over those surface.

How do Vortex Generators Work? - YouTube

OP
OP

John Forde

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster van
Country flag
I'll just leave this here..... :cool:

Curious as to what conclusion you would like us to draw. Cybertruck is quite different from the F 150. I saw another video that explained why no tailgate was less efficient than tailgate up (makes the entire back of the cab a high drag area) But I have not seen WHY netting improves efficiency or why tailgate down is least efficient.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Curious as to what conclusion you would like us to draw. Cybertruck is quite different from the F 150. I saw another video that explained why no tailgate was less efficient than tailgate up (makes the entire back of the cab a high drag area) But I have not seen WHY netting improves efficiency or why tailgate down is least efficient.
I think the only conclusion is "It's complicated, counter-intuitive, and controversial". :)

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

CT Topper cube vs aero.png
You are suggesting that the CT efficiency will be close to the Model X? The btteries will be two generations newer, the weight will be higher, the drag forces will be (much) higher, and the battery pack size will probably be different than you think. I am wondering why you think the range will be greater than what Tesla published and suggest that you revise your predictions downward to be more reasonable (or publish your algorithm).

https://insideevs.com/news/451212/epa-range-efficiency-2021-tesla-model-x/

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I was going by this one:
I like that video and it is a reasonable set of calculations. But how did you arrive at the range estimates being higher than Tesla published? Using CleanerWatt's numbers the DM CT would have a 107 KwH battery pack and the TM CT would then have to have a 177 KwH battery pack for the published ranges of 300/500 respectively. Your ranges are all higher. You have 570 miles for the topperless (stock) variant. 15% higher. Why? I recall someone at some point claiming that the CT range would be higher but it wasn't Elon that said it. Is that what you are going by? Just curious.
Sponsored