Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Are these licensed as motorcycles when used on the street or are they off-road only? Their website said off-road but couldn't find the reason why? Maybe no brake or running lights? Uses a 60V power plant with top speed of 40mph. I'm not looking for a highway EV bike, just something around town.
I think Off road only. They would fun in town though.
Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Particularly not the Cyberquad which you don’t even need to register (might need to get stickers, but I don’t think that’s as traceable as licensing).
In Arizona everything motorized has a traceable title. If you want to use it off road in public spaces, you get a $25 OHV plate. For street, you then add street registration. A Cyberquad would be easy to make street legal here, and basically impossible in places like CA.

Their website said off-road but couldn't find the reason why?
There's a huge list of problems, down to getting DOT approval on the lights, and so much more. Many states allow you to very easily make something legal, but for a federal approval, there's much more involved. And for fed approval, it has to meet the law for all states. So we can register a UTV or quad in AZ, but then it's not legal to ride in CA.

Ask me how I know.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
In Arizona everything motorized has a traceable title. If you want to use it off road in public spaces, you get a $25 OHV plate. For street, you then add street registration. A Cyberquad would be easy to make street legal here, and basically impossible in places like CA.
So could I register it in Az and drive it in California the way I can drive other out of state vehicles?

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
So could I register it in Az and drive it in California the way I can drive other out of state vehicles?
Nope, read my second paragraph. $180 fine.

CA found a way around the federal compact laws that let them keep UTVs and ATVs illegal even if legal in their home state. Kind of like how my legal window tint here is illegal in CA.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The Cyberquad will have a series sticker from the manufacturer and comply with California emissions rules, so it'll be fine to license here. Also California is a massive market.

-Crissa

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
The Cyberquad will have a series sticker from the manufacturer and comply with California emissions rules, so it'll be fine to license here. Also California is a massive market.

-Crissa
I did not think you could plate an ATV to drive on the road in CA? Maybe it is just some counties or cities?

I think that is what SwampNut is referring to, not off-road use (OHV).

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I did not think you could plate an ATV to drive on the road in CA? Maybe it is just some counties or cities?
You can't in CA. You can in AZ. Both states also require an OHV sticker or plate for vehicles that are not road-registered, and under a certain weight (1800 in AZ I think). In AZ, a light vehicle can have both stickers, and if registered as "primarily off road" pays almost no road tax. My KTM dealer did that, though really, I use it more on the street.

I'll bet $100 the Cyber Quad will never be road legal in CA, and the same hundo on someone immediately making one road legal in AZ.

Depends on the state and the ATV.
In AZ, it does not depend on the ATV. I can weld together two pieces of metal, attach lights, motor, and wheels, and plate it here. One funny thing, LICENSE PLATE LIGHT!!! Arizona is super picky about that one thing. It might not have brakes, and nobody will check for them, BUT LICENSE PLATE LIGHT!!!!

Tesla Cybertruck Cyberquad ATV will be produced at Giga Austin says Elon @ today's shareholders meeting 1634828042745

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hey, cover that plate or light and they and Nevada will search your car with drug dogs. Super-invasive.

If Tesla issues a VIN, it would be able to be licensed as an autocycle. It's the emissions and vin requirement that's hard in California.

-Crissa

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I've been through this with a lawyer, and a judge. You cannot license an offroad vehicle for street use in CA, and the AZ plate is excluded from being valid in CA. If you know something they don't, then my friends would really like to know. And CSC even got spanked because they were selling dual sports that didn't technically meet some standard, and they became illegal.

"Only drug dealers drive cars like this" is apparently probable cause. It was a black RX-7 with nice low-profile chrome wheels. Plate was visible.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, VIN and emissions standards are the hard part. Most OHVs don't meet emissions standards, others don't meet VIN requirements.

-Crissa
Sponsored