Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
A SS Cybervan has to be under development. It makes too much sense and the van life is huge right now. The business case is solid for a stainless van to be built at Austin.

Also, what company doesn’t want a super durable delivery van that could do hundreds of thousands of miles with minimal maintenance on cheaper electricity? It’s a no brainer.

0402AB1B-F055-4F24-80E5-419D7838D57F.jpeg
Looks like a large Johnny Cab. 😜
Sponsored

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Yeah, those people complaining how the 20 minute stop to recharge from a v3 would just be too long... v4 (1MW) is going to so change that calculation...

My speculation is that Semi, Cybertruck, Roadster will use the 1MW...
then later down the line, Model S/X will move to it.

Any theorized/wished for van would also make sense to use this 1MW charging standard...

I am betting that was the reference in the NACS about the higher end of the charging standard.
I wonder if project Highland, the M3 refresh, will use 1000V?

BigAl

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Okay so, tank turn, crab steer, steer-by-wire, airless tires, electric brakes, boat mode, 1000V... what else do I seem to be missing... and what is next? DAMN fine AUTOMOBILE!!!

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
-----------------------------------------------------------

Here is link to Tesla Semi Delivery Event but the video is cued to start at info on SuperCharger V4 MegaCharger and also Cybertruck charging.

Tesla Semi Delivery Event
2020 Dec 1

-------

-----------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Okay so, tank turn, crab steer, steer-by-wire, airless tires, electric brakes, boat mode, 1000V... what else do I seem to be missing... and what is next? DAMN fine AUTOMOBILE!!!
He did say it was going to be a "insane technological bandwagon".

I LOVE the idea that was in the patent applications about the drone carried in the bed that you can launch from the vehicle to scout the terrain ahead of you... LIKE WTF? That sounds so ridiculously Sci-FI I just want it so bad... even though I'm unlikely to use it much...

ScoobyDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck/ F150
Country flag
It puts EV charging time into parity with fuel refilling at superchargers. Which is awesome.
I love fast charging, the faster the better but I doubt it charges at peak the entire time. That calculator is just doing simple math. Doesn’t take the charge curve into account. So maybe 2%-50% is 8-10min and then it quickly trails off after that.

that would be a crazy break through if the batteries could charge at peak amps the entire time.
very excited regardless!

FrankMcEnnis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Express, Cj5, Rockcrawler
Country flag
More Cybertruck news to come. Similar to the Semi the CT is going to be a game changer in the 1/2 ton pickup truck space.
I think the cybertruck wil be a game changer for 3/4 and 1 ton pick up too, It will surpass any pick up class in 1 truck!

OP
OP
samroy92

samroy92

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
samroy.io
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, CT Tri/Quad FSD
Occupation
Head of Technology (SW, DevOps, IT, Security)
Country flag
Lol I fully agree with you. The extra "tech" is largely an excuse to justify increasing the price (margin %). But that being said - we'll still get cooler tech :p

OP
OP
samroy92

samroy92

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
samroy.io
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, CT Tri/Quad FSD
Occupation
Head of Technology (SW, DevOps, IT, Security)
Country flag
Yeah, those people complaining how the 20 minute stop to recharge from a v3 would just be too long... v4 (1MW) is going to so change that calculation...
I want to make sure we subvert expectations, more likely CT will be capable of 300-400kW charging, not 1MW. There is a cell level limitation on C-rate for charging. Semi can get away with it because it is 1000kWh - whereas CT will be ~130-200kWh

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
MW charger confirmed. Basically same chargers. Hmm.. didn't some of us suggest as much? ;)
There is a big difference between “this makes sense” and “this is indeed true”.

Very happy to hear this. That’s a lot of Joules to be shoving through a little tiny hose.

Also cool hearing the details, they cool the cable with water squeezed between the copper wires… that’s crazy cool. Don‘t kind the hose.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I want to make sure we subvert expectations, more likely CT will be capable of 300-400kW charging, not 1MW. There is a cell level limitation on C-rate for charging. Semi can get away with it because it is 1000kWh - whereas CT will be ~130-200kWh
It might peak at 1,000 kW and drop quickly. Tesla has been working on increasing charging speed with new battery chemistries.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This is a paradigm shift in vehicle charging. Charging from 0 to 100% in 10 minutes is a game changer. Tesla just raised the bar.
Not going to happen.

It might peak at 1,000 kW, but it won’t sustain that charge speed for the entire stop. Much like existing chargers peak at 250 kW and average about 100 kW over the duration of the charge.

Plan on doubling that average charging speed at best. Good chance charge times will be similar to existing Teslas, just with bigger batteries.

Raebrek

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Highlander, 2016 Subaru Outback
Country flag
Just a thought that came to my mind today, earlier today. You can’t steal the idea Tesla because I freely give it. If the put their cars in the correct order and snap a picture we see the S3XY. If they elevate the shot and add the Semi to the end after Y it should look like S3XY! With the Semi making a very very large exclamation point.
Sponsored