Atticus

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Duramax
Country flag
I've towed a fifth wheel all over. Wind will absolutely play a factor. Not as much as grade...but does matter. Long drives, wind has cost me an extra stop for fuel.

I reserved on intro day as soon as the pulling numbers showed 3/4 ton ability. I'm sitting on the email, res #1127...I was really hoping that the work on the semi would transition over.

Now, help me out here...I can't pull a travel trailer (call it 6k pounds) for more than...two hours without a stop? Maybe 120 miles? I live in the mountains. So probably 100 miles? Turning a four hour drive into a seven hour drive or so?
Sponsored

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I've towed a fifth wheel all over. Wind will absolutely play a factor. Not as much as grade...but does matter. Long drives, wind has cost me an extra stop for fuel.

I reserved on intro day as soon as the pulling numbers showed 3/4 ton ability. I'm sitting on the email, res #1127...I was really hoping that the work on the semi would transition over.

Now, help me out here...I can't pull a travel trailer (call it 6k pounds) for more than...two hours without a stop? Maybe 120 miles? I live in the mountains. So probably 100 miles? Turning a four hour drive into a seven hour drive or so?
So we start withe your first statement, wind is a factor. Yes, and just because you are pulling 6,000 lbs doesn't mean that you can get a realistic answer to your range. Wind profile is important, as well as the interaction with the Cybertruck.

Mountains really don't impact the range, assuming that for every up, there is a down. Regen gives back would climbing took away.

The amount of time that you have to stop is mostly being exaggerated. Not in the time that you have to stop, but stopping at 20% puts you on the bad side of the charging curve. So yes, it can be less, no, it's not going to be zero.

But when charging, especially with a trailer, that's the perfect time to get out, stretch, do the bio stuff, get some coffee and by that time, charging is often complete.

Yes, if you are one who gets in a vehicle and drives for 500 miles and then stops, it's going to take longer. In my Model Y, when we go from Atlanta to Orlando, charging takes us around 15 extra minutes. Sure, we are charging a lot longer than that, but that's a long trip, we tend to stop for a meal and a couple of stretch breaks and the impact of charging is minimal.

Actual examples of towing range are slowly coming in, and they are getting better. As has been seen with non-towing range, you get first time EV owners that haven't gotten used to driving an EV come up with all sorts of stuff, but eventually, seasoned drivers start posting and things get better.

chinokie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3 LR AWD
Country flag
Personally, I would have towed the CT with the Y while charging the Y from the CT. If both started w/ full batteries you should have gotten a lot more miles.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Personally, I would have towed the CT with the Y while charging the Y from the CT. If both started w/ full batteries you should have gotten a lot more miles.
Interesting idea, but full of flaws.

If the Model Y was fully charged, there would be no regen.
If the Model Y was partially charged (or empty) it would have presented a significantly higher rolling resistance, cause the range to drop even faster

If both the Model Y and the Cybertruck was fully charged and someone was to drive the Model Y, then indeed the Cybertruck would have had a longer range.

CyberTruckeeTheOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Occupation
Retired Operating Plans & Forecasting Manager
Country flag
Or just put a not-too-heavy block on the brakes so it can continually regen. :)

Knucklehead

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Interesting idea, but full of flaws.

If the Model Y was fully charged, there would be no regen.
If the Model Y was partially charged (or empty) it would have presented a significantly higher rolling resistance, cause the range to drop even faster

If both the Model Y and the Cybertruck was fully charged and someone was to drive the Model Y, then indeed the Cybertruck would have had a longer range.
I understood he meant trailer towed like the test, not flat towed on the wheels. But maybe I misunderstood. CT on a trailer, charging the Y. I am sure it wouldn't work, but creative idea.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
I understood he meant trailer towed like the test, not flat towed on the wheels. But maybe I misunderstood. CT on a trailer, charging the Y. I am sure it wouldn't work, but creative idea.
Then when the CT is at 1%, put the CT on the trailer, and tow it! it's a $50k range extender!
Sponsored