O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
we have heard the stories about the type of battery that might go into the Model Y and CyberTruck......I read also about all the cost of charging......but what I am really interested in is the range of each type.....I am not so sure the new giga Texas plant will be able to put the new battery in the "Y" when it first rolls out the door.....so I am really wondering what the real range will be in miles with the 2170s......if the CT is holding out for the new battery it may be longer than I want to wait.......

however, if the "Y" gets the new battery, what do you think the range will be?........if it is anything near 425 I just may get the "Y" and not wait another year for the CT......thoughts?
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The Model Y is important to Tesla. It is the vehicle they see as being the most popular car sold in the world.

https://cleantechnica.com/2021/04/26/elon-musk-expect-tesla-model-y-to-be-best-selling-car-suv-or-truck-in-2022-or-2023/ said:
Elon Musk expects the Model Y to be the top selling light-duty passenger vehicle (top selling car, truck, or SUV) in the world in 2022 or 2023. He said he expects that it’s more likely than not that it will be in 2022.
To get there, I think he needs to Go down-market, make the existing product more compelling, and ramp production enough.

Going down market means getting the Model Y SR back on sale in every country they sell the Model Y in. Getting the Model Y back down to the low $40k price range is pretty important, they need the 4680 cells to get to that price point.

A 400 mile range is exactly the sort of thing which would make the Model Y AWD LR a category killer. Right now the Mustang and the ID.4 are in the ballpark in terms of range and price. Boosting the range to 400 miles paired with having a lower priced SR which is range competitive with the Ford/ VW long range products would be a powerful 1 - 2 punch.

Tera Texas and Giga Berlin were designed to give Tesla the hit the kind of production numbers they need. But if they can't make 4680 cells or source microprocessors & microcontrollers they are SOL.

Seems to me Tesla is going to push the range on the Model Y as much as they can. That lets them preserve pricing and margins while putting an irresistible product out there the competition can't match.

I have no idea if they will hit a 425 mile range though, I suspect we'll see a 75kWh battery and range will flow from there. Lower weight from the cast front end and structural battery back will help improve range, but 425 miles? Seems like a long ways from 326 or so.

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
we have heard the stories about the type of battery that might go into the Model Y and CyberTruck......I read also about all the cost of charging......but what I am really interested in is the range of each type.....I am not so sure the new giga Texas plant will be able to put the new battery in the "Y" when it first rolls out the door.....so I am really wondering what the real range will be in miles with the 2170s......if the CT is holding out for the new battery it may be longer than I want to wait.......

however, if the "Y" gets the new battery, what do you think the range will be?........if it is anything near 425 I just may get the "Y" and not wait another year for the CT......thoughts?
I think Tesla will not significantly increase the range of Model Y, but will instead choose to make it with less battery capacity to maintain (or slightly improve) its current range. That will reduce the cost and weight of the Model Y and make it more affordable to more people.

beeeasybro

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Avalon,Outback, and previously Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Boat Captain
Country flag

IMO the cybertruck body is the selling point for me because it is steel and won’t rust
Sponsored