Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
The point is that you can, and in fact, can have a true third-party audit. Security by obscurity isn't secure.

-Crissa
Being able to review is a good goal. But as an example, last year in the python community there was a very widely used package that was found to have spyware in it. Turns out that the spyware had been there for a long time but no one had been looking so everyone just used the package wholesale and just assumed it would be ok. I do believe that OSS is laudable and has some good points. But it isn’t the be-all and end-all that some people seem to hold it up as. Even OSS has its issues that people need to be cognizant of and taking into account.
Sponsored

Cdncanoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Model X
Country flag
To some degree, this was the same questions being asked by our pre-order Model S club back in 2011. Several were touting then that it would be the last car they ever owned. While I didn’t believe it then, 8 years on now, and I’m less certain it won’t be. My battery has 90% of its original full charge remaining. The GPU and CPU are feeling sluggish sometimes, but Tesla are offering an upgraded version for $2,500. The street value of my 2012 Model S is down to low $20k range, so there’s nothing anywhere close in terms of speed, space, tech, and styling that compares to my old Model S. I consider the $2,500 a future down payment on keeping my S for another 5-6 years. It’s much less than my 2000 HCH cost me in the last four years of its life while waiting for the Model S to arrive. I spent $4,500 on two battery replacements and another $2,000 on other ICE maintenance parts.
My only suggestion on the CT is to go for the largest battery option if you plan on keeping it for 10 years or more. With the new ones likely to be partially embedded to a greater extent after battery day, replacing the pack will likely be $15k or more at some point. You’ll appreciate still being able to go 300 miles on a charge after 20 years, and in the time-being, it’ll be nice going from NC to my family in Canada while only charging once.

windydrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT trimotor, '21 MY LR AWD 7 seater, '21 M3 LR AWD
Country flag
I'm leasing a Model 3 SR+ until the CT is released. That may determine whether I lease or buy the CT or go with the 3 motor

OP
OP
Diehard

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Documents always get "disclosed" and junk yards will always have parts. Always more than one way to skin a cat. If one diy's or does own repairs now you will b able to on CT as well.
Sandy’s engineers were doing a lot of head scratching trying to reverse engineer the control board. But I hope you are correct. There will be too many of them on the road not to have How To YouTube videos on.

OP
OP
Diehard

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I agree and approve that message. Let me know what petition to sign.
I don’t think legislators are sharp enough to regulate fast moving Tech companies.

I think we need open source hardware to take things where software has gone with Linux. organizing the research would be tricky.

OP
OP
Diehard

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don’t know if I agree with that statement, but I do intend to keep my CT for a long time and hope that, being an EV, it will be pretty much worry free. I’ve had 2 hybrids and they have been pretty much problem free even with ICE engines. Our Model 3, so far, hasn’t needed any maintenance. The Teslas are big into electronics so that is an area where they might need maintenance over time.
I think of it as how I think of my iPad. With every update, it is a different Device and I have no idea what has changed. Completely at mercy of apple. And I have been replacing my electronic devices more frequently than my cars. I hope you are correct and that is not the case with EVs. I certainly won’t use them as frequently as my phone and tablet. So I hope they last a bit longer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diehard

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To some degree, this was the same questions being asked by our pre-order Model S club back in 2011. Several were touting then that it would be the last car they ever owned. While I didn’t believe it then, 8 years on now, and I’m less certain it won’t be. My battery has 90% of its original full charge remaining. The GPU and CPU are feeling sluggish sometimes, but Tesla are offering an upgraded version for $2,500. The street value of my 2012 Model S is down to low $20k range, so there’s nothing anywhere close in terms of speed, space, tech, and styling that compares to my old Model S. I consider the $2,500 a future down payment on keeping my S for another 5-6 years. It’s much less than my 2000 HCH cost me in the last four years of its life while waiting for the Model S to arrive. I spent $4,500 on two battery replacements and another $2,000 on other ICE maintenance parts.
My only suggestion on the CT is to go for the largest battery option if you plan on keeping it for 10 years or more. With the new ones likely to be partially embedded to a greater extent after battery day, replacing the pack will likely be $15k or more at some point. You’ll appreciate still being able to go 300 miles on a charge after 20 years, and in the time-being, it’ll be nice going from NC to my family in Canada while only charging once.
Priceless post. Thanks for sharing.

Dtaylorusa

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CT, 1999 F150
Occupation
Software Exec
Country flag
I also keep my vehicles for a long time and perform most post warranty work myself. I plan on keeping my CT for 20 years and hope I'm able to do so, just hoping that Tesla is cooperative. Most everyone understands that up-cycling has a signficantly lower environmental impact than buying a new vehicle. I guess it could provide for a cottage infustry of CT shade-tree mechanics.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
i have a 2013 Model S with over 100,000 miles on it and i would not hesitate for a second to keep the cybertruck past warranty. I bought this car from a non tesla dealer, already out of warranty. While i have had to replace the mobility(LTE upgrade) card, its still less than i would need to have paid for maintenance on any ICE vehicle even over the 6 months Ive had it. are there risks to keeping a car past warranty, yes, but i can tell you first hand, that my model S, at 100k miles has fewer creaks, pops and squeaks than any other car i have been in. These vehicles are built well, period.

OP
OP
Diehard

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
i have a 2013 Model S with over 100,000 miles on it and i would not hesitate for a second to keep the cybertruck past warranty. I bought this car from a non tesla dealer, already out of warranty. While i have had to replace the mobility(LTE upgrade) card, its still less than i would need to have paid for maintenance on any ICE vehicle even over the 6 months Ive had it. are there risks to keeping a car past warranty, yes, but i can tell you first hand, that my model S, at 100k miles has fewer creaks, pops and squeaks than any other car i have been in. These vehicles are built well, period.
Thanks for sharing.

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
Excellent advice.

I have a Dual CT preorder and would like to get the Tri since I do plan to keep the vehicle for 10 years+ (I've driven my Tacoma for as long). I will have to ramp up my investments if I'm going to go closer to $80k instead of $60 with FSD.

OP
OP
Diehard

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Excellent advice.

I have a Dual CT preorder and would like to get the Tri since I do plan to keep the vehicle for 10 years+ (I've driven my Tacoma for as long). I will have to ramp up my investments if I'm going to go closer to $80k instead of $60 with FSD.
I wonder if new Tech and charging infrastructure in 5-10 years could give the old EVs new life at much lower cost. Like compact batteries with higher energy density you can take with you for added range. Or fast wireless charging pads at parking spot for any business that wants to be competitive. All you would need is to add an adapter kit to your old EV. With the race that is going on for EVs and battery development now, I would not be surprised If we see hard to imagine solutions a few years down the road. But at this point it is at most a may be. If you can afford it, it never hurts to have more range. For me cost wise, dual motor is where I draw the line.

Last edited:

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
For me cost wise, dual motor is where I draw the line.
Which is why I preordered the dual. I was looking at spending about $45k on a Tundra to replace my 10yo Tacoma as an upgrade...then I saw this presentation last year. Holy shnikeys.

Part of my strategy for down payment - and I've been doing a lot of planning - is through personal, retail investments in the stock market (I haven't touched anything in retirement, though I own a little $TSLA there, too). If those investments work out well, I would like to consider upgrading to the Tri.

If not, then I know the dual CT is FAR cheaper over 5 years, 10 years, and beyond in terms of TCO than any other competitively priced pickup and is all the truck I really need.

OP
OP
Diehard

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Which is why I preordered the dual. I was looking at spending about $45k on a Tundra to replace my 10yo Tacoma as an upgrade...then I saw this presentation last year. Holy shnikeys.

Part of my strategy for down payment - and I've been doing a lot of planning - is through personal, retail investments in the stock market (I haven't touched anything in retirement, though I own a little $TSLA there, too). If those investments work out well, I would like to consider upgrading to the Tri.

If not, then I know the dual CT is FAR cheaper over 5 years, 10 years, and beyond in terms of TCO than any other competitively priced pickup and is all the truck I really need.
If you got in Tesla stock a year ago, you should be able to get a couple of Tri Motots. I missed the boat on that one. The only hesitation I may have on CT (dual-motor) over Tundra is towing and charging while towing. On everything else no ICE can come close if CT makes it out of production as promised. I can’t wait to see some real world reviews.

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
If you got in Tesla stock a year ago, you should be able to get a couple of Tri Motots. I missed the boat on that one. The only hesitation I may have on CT (dual-motor) over Tundra is towing and charging while towing. On everything else no ICE can come close if CT makes it out of production as promised. I can’t wait to see some real world reviews.
Two years ago, maybe. I didn't justify enough shares from disposable income at the time for 6x growth to cover an entire vehicle. Looking back, I should have done a lot more, but that's likely to always be true. :)

I rarely tow, so that's far less of a concern for me. I do haul material, but rarely over long distances.
Sponsored