Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Cybertruck will replace both my newish prius and 31 year old Toyota pickup(that i drive almost daily). We've had it since I was like 6.
I really hope it lasts a long long time. Maybe I can pack it on a starship in 25 years to go to mars.

Regarding the future electronics parts...I was talking to a patent attorney here in the bay area, he said it's looking like the tech companies will win, so we cant really expect to 3rd party modify the cars much, If at all.

Current cars you can swap out the eco to get some more power, retune the turbo timing, etc.
Not with teslas!
Unless they offer it. Or let others make replacements
Sponsored

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
In my point of view having your vehicle last as long as possible is a large part of being sustainable. It takes a ton of energy to build any vehicle. If I cant easily extend the life of my own vehicle by doing repairs myself I will opt out of purchasing said vehicle. I don't care how much I like Tesla. I have had my eye on this subject for a long time.

Its like my iPhone, if a physical part breaks or stops functioning I don't get a new phone and I don't take it to Apple for repairs. I simply order the part and fix it myself. If my CT breaks down mechanically (wheel bearing, brakes, suspension components ect..) I would like to have the right to perform the repair myself, if the software or computer related parts break I will surely pay Tesla to handle it.
Looking at the year and brand cars you own you have little choice...?

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Looking at the year and brand cars you own you have little choice...?
Haha you would think so, The Audi has been flawless. The Land Rover is finicky at times due to its age but otherwise it has been extremely robust, never left me stranded. The Ford and Jeep I no longer own were complete trash. My point is I tend to not worry as much about what vehicles I purchase because 99% of the time I can just fix everything myself. Tesla is slowly falling into that 1% category.

Rockvillerich

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, tri-motor, and dual motor.
Occupation
Machine fabrication
Country flag
I keep my cars for a long time and cost of ownership over life of the vehicle is a factor in my decision. Would you keep yours CT after warranty?

Are there any Tesla owners here that have kept their cars long after warranty and willing to share their experience?

This is talking about the same issue:
I've managed to keep my Ford Ranger running for well over 200k, for the past 23 years, so I'm expecting my CT will be around for a long time after the warranty is up. I think we can also expect a big following, along with an extensive after-market presence to maintain and service the very hard to kill CT's as they age.

Last edited:

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
There's also The Electrified Garage in the Eastern US and a few other businesses in Canada. I'm sure more will pop up to service EVs.
Cool thanks!! Completely forgot a out Electrified Garage. I'll have to look up those businesses that are in Canada too. :)

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Cool thanks!! Completely forgot a out Electrified Garage. I'll have to look up those businesses that are in Canada too. :)
Damn that car in your avatar is GORGEOUS!!! It reminds me of the Gulf Porsche McQueen drove in Le mans. HAHAHA also my avatar colors! :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Diehard

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Some notes on senior Teslas:

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I keep my cars for a long time and cost of ownership over life of the vehicle is a factor in my decision. Would you keep yours CT after warranty?

Are there any Tesla owners here that have kept their cars long after warranty and willing to share their experience?

This is talking about the same issue:
TSLA millionmile battery implies that Tesla is selling a vehicle to you whose life is engineered to equal or better a million miles driven.

A million miles for the average driver exceeds 50years that TSLA would need to support its vehicles at 20k mi/yr. Ummm No! But you can see that 25 yrs will be standard, normal acceptable practice.

I have an ICE running 23yrs with oil changes ~3k. So BEV is easily within reach of 25yrs. @25 DMV considers antique vehicle registration. TSLA may leverage its support off on that alone.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag
Priceless post. Thanks for sharing.
Good point, regarding structural 4680 battery packs. They are likely glue-in cells, non-serviceable. Software will be capable of isolating non-compliant cells and abandon in-place.

Go BiG or buy down models with lesser cells?

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag
Cybertruck will replace both my newish prius and 31 year old Toyota pickup(that i drive almost daily). We've had it since I was like 6.
I really hope it lasts a long long time. Maybe I can pack it on a starship in 25 years to go to mars.

Regarding the future electronics parts...I was talking to a patent attorney here in the bay area, he said it's looking like the tech companies will win, so we cant really expect to 3rd party modify the cars much, If at all.

Current cars you can swap out the eco to get some more power, retune the turbo timing, etc.
Not with teslas!
Unless they offer it. Or let others make replacements
There’s so much legalese to read what we own when we buy. I use 9/10ths rule.

Regarding Tesla patent infringement, many of us gearheads will likely break warrantee with non-tesla parts, upgrades and additions that invalidate any warrantee. What good is a truck if its limited by patent corridors?

OP
OP
Diehard

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
TSLA millionmile battery implies that Tesla is selling a vehicle to you whose life is engineered to equal or better a million miles driven.

A million miles for the average driver exceeds 50years that TSLA would need to support its vehicles at 20k mi/yr. Ummm No! But you can see that 25 yrs will be standard, normal acceptable practice.

I have an ICE running 23yrs with oil changes ~3k. So BEV is easily within reach of 25yrs. @25 DMV considers antique vehicle registration. TSLA may leverage its support off on that alone.
All fair points and most likely true. The question is not how long a CT can last. If it is designed to last through apocalypse, it is likely to be capable of rolling around for many years. My concern is what the experience is like for the owner throughout those years. My ICE is not as old as yours (only 18 years) however the cost of ownership throughout it's life so far has been minimal. I have had the option to get parts from ton of vendors at low price and take it to any mechanic to repair or in many cases do the fix myself. That is part of the reason cost of ownership has been so low and keeping it even longer makes financial sense. Tesla owners on this forum have noted replacing one door handle cost $750 most likely because you can't go to Pep Boys and get a a chineese knock off and even if you could, you may need special tools to do the job that you can't order on line and even if you could, you may not have the knowlege on how to reset the relevant part of control unit....... you get my drift. You are driving down the road with your million mile battery and MCU goes out. If Tesla is not selling it or supporting the software, you may be out of luck. If they are, you probably will be paying through the nose to get it and install it. Both a BMW and a Subaru can last a long time but you don't see as many Subaru owners buying extended warranty. All of this is the paranoid side of me talking based on how most other monopolies have behaved in the past. Hopefully other manufacturer's catch up and competition helps consumers with ownership experience no matter what EVs they own. Hopefully do it yourself hacks will pop up more as more people own CTs. I definitely will depend on this Forum with my CT issues.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Country flag
</quote>The question is not how long a CT can last. If it is designed to last through apocalypse, it is likely to be capable of rolling around for many years. My concern is what the experience is like for the owner throughout those years.<quote/>

EDICT#1:BEST- Cybertruck bests FORD in every category

Tesla have committed to its pickup in an iconic way that is unfathomable it would then lose in owner experience to BrandX. Ownership experience in Teslas’ hands is the sum total of its product design. Elon dragging FORD bass-ackwards on stage is just one added dimension. Barring Lamborghini doors blown off their hinges, ownership is bound entirely by your Cybertruck, the product. Its use, abuse and misuse that will define your experience. Tesla quantify you, your driving style, use and behavior pattern into a profile. Your Cybertruck’s evidence-based record defines for Tesla that Cybertruck experience. Expect expenses to vary, accordingly.

EDICT#2: Bang for the buck - Cybertruck is the most affordable truck to own!

FORD F-150 pickups run and run and run seemingly forever. It is a fact FORD brags its F-150 is the longest running truck on the road. FORD will never let TSLA forget that Cybertruck is not as long lasting as F-150. Elon made a big show of Cybertruck over FORD. Longevity matters in this pickup market. Millionmile battery means 1,000,000 miles in longevity reign.

EDICT#3: Safety-Tesla rated safest over FORD. Cyber too!

This is a two horse race! Pick your experience!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Regarding Tesla patent infringement, many of us gearheads will likely break warrantee with non-tesla parts, upgrades and additions that invalidate any warrantee. What good is a truck if its limited by patent corridors?
That sort of warranty is not legal in the US.

They have to prove your part contributed to the failure.

-Crissa

I can't say what Ford has in lifetime, but the average lifetime of a truck in the US is shorter than the average life of cars in general.
Sponsored