A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The first step was to go to the modular rectifiers capable of 24A each. This made sense as that's the number needed for 3 phase mains which are found in some parts of Europe. It also made sense as you could put two in a US sold car and get 48 charging which is adequate for vehicles with smaller batteries. You could also install a 3rd module getting up to 72A and sell that as and enhanced charging option which they did. Not quite the 80A that the original dual charger scheme allowed but pretty close.

Then at the end of 2018 they stopped offering the enhanced charging option and in early 2020 stopped selling EVSE that could support more than 48 A even though they have a new vehicle coming which will demand more than that. I really think the reason they have done this is that they don't want to be exposed to any potential liability associated with EVSE requiring more than a 60 A circuit. Above 60 A a separate, locakable disconnect is required and I'm guessing people were installing HPWC without these. Crazy as it may be what a good lawyer does is make someone with money appear to be responsible for the actions of someone with none. So that's one guess.

Another guess is that Tesla knows or suspects that charging at 48 A extends the useful life of a 100 kWh hour battery relative to that available with 72 or 100 A charge rate.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
As of 7 Jan only 3 people (and I am obviously one of those) indicates that they have reservations for both (R1T only) and 38 for the CT only, This really surprises me.
Surprises me too.

I reserved a Rivian R1T before Cybertruck was announced. Totally blown away by CT pricing. Add range, superchargers and not being first vehicle from a new company... I'm afraid Rivian has dropped to a pretty distant 2nd place. Although I do still really like the R1T.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
Guess I should update and point out that the new HPWC is capable of only 48 A max (60 A circuit). I'm wondering if Tesla will rig the CT ala the Semi i.e. with dual charging ports in which case you could plug in 2 HPWC's and get a 96 A charging rate (23 kW) for 46 mi added per hour. I think there's a good chance of this as they will then be able to claim that the truck can be fully charged in 10 hours at home even though in fact only perhaps 5% of owners will pull two circuits and install 2 HPWC to make this possible.
I hope this is the case. The dual charger from 1 feed is not likely to come back as an option. I can see 2 charge ports on the CT that can be used at the same time. Each powering its own charger in the vehicle. Even if it is an extra cost option I would get it.

Jerry M.

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
016 Prius Eco
Occupation
MRI TECH
Country flag
Surprises me too.

I reserved a Rivian R1T before Cybertruck was announced. Totally blown away by CT pricing. Add range, superchargers and not being first vehicle from a new company... I'm afraid Rivian has dropped to a pretty distant 2nd place. Although I do still really like the R1T.
When you consider ALL the things mentioned above, the R1T not even remotely close. It’s a total no brainer.

Camper Van Someren

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Focus RS, 2015 Sienna AWD, 2002 Ranger
Country flag
Rivian just announced that their pricing will be lower than prior. $69,000 for a truck with 300 mile range, which drops to $61,500 after the EV tax credit (which Tesla doesn’t get). That makes it more competitive with the dual CT than I originally thought. For an extra $11K you get quad motor (better off road traction control, tank turn), nicer interior, smaller size (a plus for me).

Top end models still won’t be much of a competition unless Rivian can get the price around $80K since CT will offer 500 vs 400 miles range.

I still think I’ll probably end up with a CT because of lower price and better charging network, but it’s good to see these companies starting to compete before they’ve even sold a truck.

OP
OP

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Rivian just announced that their pricing will be lower than prior. $69,000 for a truck with 300 mile range, which drops to $61,500 after the EV tax credit (which Tesla doesn’t get).
That's what was announced over a year ago. Apparently the journalist got confused.

Mule Ferguson

First Name
Mule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Model P3D+, F150. Cybertruck Tri Motor
Occupation
House Husband
Country flag
Gem Car. Gave to a High School EV Team It's now at ASU in Boone.. It now has solar panels

Leaf 2 years. Sold
Tesla S 2 years. sold
Tesla X 2 years . sold
Model X
Model P3D+
Tri Motor . Waiting

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck and Rivian Reservations? IMG_2747 2

dyldebus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, F-350 TD
Occupation
Software Designer
Country flag
I really liked the Rivian styling but I'm now obsessed with the Cybertruck.

Coming from TD F350 I just can't even consider the Rivian. The bed is far too small for us, the payload is too light and the price per mile is way too high. I currently get 850 miles per tank (55 gallon) so dropping to 500+ is already a bummer and dropping to 400 (EPA could lower that) is less than half. I do love the attention to detail on the interior but the infotainment/nav is a big TBD for me. Tesla is SO good and having giant screens is worse IMO that physical buttons if you have shitty software. Like the Taycan.

Rivian also has not delivered a vehicle and have shown nothing in terms of full self driving (nothing but promises). I hope they are successful but for me the Cybertruck is the clear winner.

Yaosuh

First Name
Yao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S P100D
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am getting a CT and R1S for the variety of having a great truck and a great SUV. I will keep both, but if the R1S doesn't wear well on me, or my family can't stand the extra attention that a CT brings, then I'll just sell one quickly (I hope) or give it away as an early inheritance to a prodigal son.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I cannot afford both is why I only have a reservation for the CyberTruck and that took some time to talk my wife into it.

The Rivian looks more traditional, as does the Bolinger.

xtreembob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Range is key for me. The Rivian and also all other EVs do not compete with the Tri Motor for range so I only have a CT reservation.
My tri-motor reservation was also based on range otherwise I would have ordered the dual motor. The tri will be an awesome machine!

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Alright guys, I need a Tesla owner's opinion. I just received an email from Tesla that is a month or so out from the initial "You ordered" email.

I'll attach it here as a picture. I'm pretty sure its kind of the "We just wanted to make sure you know we are still planning on building a car for you... some time from now" email but, I don't know. Anyway, I know it's for the Model Y we ordered in April and not a Cybertruck but I've come to know you guys and the other Tesla general sites are too... big.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck and Rivian Reservations? Model Y email.JPG

Oh, I also see that they are offering an actual roof rack for the Model Y now.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
This is why I am not in a hurry to be first, there will be more options available the later I wait.
Solar option is something I will wait for.
Pop up camper, slide out kitchen, and other overlanding options I will not wait for.

OP
OP

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Not sure what it is you want the opinion on. If it's should you get it the answer is, of course, yes. You'll love it.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Looks like you'll be replacing your Prius soon. Cheers
Sponsored