CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I think some of the ideas that have been mentioned on this forum that the Cybertruck 'could have' is getting a little out there ?

While this would be a pretty cool feature, I think we are a little off from seeing that being a priority for the Cybertruck. I have seen this idea talked about but I think we'll see it in houses before we do in vehicles. In the event of an apocalypse, which seems to have become much more normal to talk about than years ago, I would probably have a nice size container in the back for rain water and a camping water pump that can filter as it collects water. We just have to hope that it's not any sort of apocalypse that affects bodies of water, if it is, live somewhere that rains a lot.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Oh no, is it time for the annual batch of articles about how dehumidifiers will save the world?

OP
OP
Wolfythelobo

Wolfythelobo

First Name
Giorgio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Contractor
Country flag
The amount of water that the cooling system of a car creates is not like the amount of water in a water bottle, though.

-Crissa
I

I thought i would be cool idea on tesla cars to make them more environmentally friendly

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
It's a cool concept which would be interesting, but I think for most people this just wouldn't really be practical, especially for the energy used. If the humidity is low, you aren't going to get much water is low, also if you are just driving too and from work and doing errands along the way, you aren't going to have time to collect enough for a full glass for probably 2-3 days.

If I was on a long road trip and it was humid, it would be a nice feature. However, I don't really want to pay for that to be in a vehicle when I don't go on that many road trips per year. If a manufacturer puts this feature in, I don't see it going on Tesla first. Tesla saves money and time on production by making their vehicles almost exactly the same. Sure you can have different interior options, a different battery size, different wheels, but at the core, they are the same. The FSD hardware and all heated seats are in every car. If Tesla made space for this in the Cybertruck, it would probably be in every Cybertruck without an option for it.

OP
OP
Wolfythelobo

Wolfythelobo

First Name
Giorgio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Contractor
Country flag
wow...
nice info braddah
IMO it makes sense
mahalo

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
That's your opinion though, physics disagrees heavily. You're not going to get as much water as you think, maybe in Hawai'i or somewhere tropical, but then why not just use a bucket and catch the rain?

I don't even know that I'd want to drink water condensed from air collected while driving in freeway traffic anyway.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Looked over the article, elon said water distillation. Perhaps he's thinking, plop in some stream or otherwise unclean water and use waste heat from the ac to purify it.
In theory you could collect the condensed water easily and after a couple weeks have an ok amount of emergency water. If u look under cars with the ac on , even at a stop light, you will see a very small puddle of water forming.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Musk did say that he was thinking about adapting some of the technologies from the car to the home and mentioned refrigeration/distillation. This somehow got transmogrified into a distillation apparatus is the truck and no amount of common sense could stifle it for weeks.

There is R134 in the CT, there is a compressor and there are evaporators. Voila, you will be producing water from the A/C system when it is running. But that water will be dumped overboard just as it is today. There is no reason to go to all the trouble necessary to make it potable and pipe it to the cabin. If you want cold water (or martinis) to drink on a road trip invest in an ARB fridge. They hold lots and run on 10 watts or so. If you want to purify water from a mountain stream invest in a small RO unit and plug it into one of the in-bed outlets.
Sponsored