Cybertruck Backup Trailer Assist Feature?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Not sure I agree with the Forbes article. I'd like to see the hard data on tire dust emissions, but they shouldn't single out Tesla, as all tires for all uses, contribute to tire dust
I'd also like to see this data around Minerals used for battery manufacturing. Why would Elon state Lithium is so prevalent and other sources start challenging his claim NOW?
Who's challenging that claim? Lithium isn't that uncomm

Increased demand and price, can spur higher cost extraction, and that spurs more development of alternate sources - and many of them look to be really cheap.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/search-new-geologic-sources-lithium-could-power-clean-future

-Crissa
Sponsored

newwave1331

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered: Cybertruck Tri FSD x 3
Country flag
I keep telling myself that Cybertruck is a totally new product and it will be used in many ways that Teslas havent seen before. Some of the things the OEMs have will take a little bit of time. It will only be a software update away. The aut-hitch function could be standard while the trailer backup assist would be available with their "Towing Kit".

They will have trailer backup assistance at some point. The question is will it be vision based or something else. I don't think NN's are a good solution to this objective considering all trailers are different. I have zero experience with training NN's but hardware seems like a simpler solution.

Proposed Towing Kit
A mountable rear camera (dual side cameras for the deluxe towing package) and exterior tire pressure monitor sensors (TPMS) for trailers should be a top priority for the accessories team. If the TPMS modules could be used to understand position of the axles relative to the cybertruck and the camera to know the total length of the trailer, that would be enough information to maneuver using written code. Trailer tire pressure is extremely important for safe trailering too.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
They will have trailer backup assistance at some point. The question is will it be vision based or something else. I don't think NN's are a good solution to this objective considering all trailers are different. I have zero experience with training NN's but hardware seems like a simpler solution.
NN (NeuralNets) are actually good at handling things it has not seen EXACTLY before, but similar… That is why FSD does not need the precise LIDAR scans and/or HD mapping as some other autonomous cars require.

And trailers fall into a few standard geometries.

I await to be amazed at what features and accessories Tesla and 3rd parties develop for the Cybertruck!

chonnertruk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Telecommunications
Country flag
Who's challenging that claim? Lithium isn't that uncomm

Increased demand and price, can spur higher cost extraction, and that spurs more development of alternate sources - and many of them look to be really cheap.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/search-new-geologic-sources-lithium-could-power-clean-future

-Crissa
Thanks Crissa.
The Forbes article cited a report to that Lithium claim. Additionally, one of the Tesla you tube channels out of Canada suggests a possible strain on the actual Lithium levels available.

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
I wonder if the CT will have some sort of Backup Trailer Assist feature like the gasoline Ford F-150. It could be a "summon" type feature that lets you get out and drive the CT in reverse when towing a trailer that you want to back in to a driveway or camping site, and it's done with the Tesla app on your phone. All Tesla would have to provide hardware-wise is a special self-adhesive decal that you place on the front of the trailer, and then you'd take a measurement from the decal to the CT's rear camera and enter that in either the app or on the CT's screen somewhere (and I think you'd also have to enter the length of the trailer). Now THAT would be an awesome feature!

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Backup Trailer Assist Feature? Backup assit

Trailer Hitch Marshall Guide

Last edited:

Neo

First Name
Neo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne Turbo | Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Professional
Country flag
I wonder if the CT will have some sort of Backup Trailer Assist feature like the gasoline Ford F-150.
I will be VASTLY disappointed it the CT doesn't self-position for trailer hook-up, like P'd off disappointed.
Why would they not be top of the class?

I'm expecting that it will not only position itself for connect to a trailer, but also be able to park the trailer to a known parking spot!

One step further, if the trailer is parked so that the tongue is position height wise so that the CT can back up to connect and then raise it's height to engage the ball into the hitch and continue to lift until it is in tow height, would be my expectation.

I should just need to safety chain, e-trailer brake connection and lights, safety check and go...

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I am not expecting something like that at launch, but do think that just like other vehicles have seen improvements to software, I think this could be added.

I am also hopping that 4 wheel steering will make trailering maneuvers (hooking up, backing up, tight spaces, etc) so much easier.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Thanks Crissa.
The Forbes article cited a report to that Lithium claim. Additionally, one of the Tesla you tube channels out of Canada suggests a possible strain on the actual Lithium levels available.

Yes, in some years their will be strain on the existing mines but that does not mean there is not plenty of mine-able lithium mineral in the ground.

Just need the investment $ and years of time for the mines to expand operation, build new facilities and more lithium refineries to create battery grade lithium.

Solid state batteries are still probably a long ways away but sodium batteries are supposed to start scaling in 2024.

----------------------

BYD, CATL, and HiNa all seem to be preparing to launch BEVs with
Sodium-Ion Battery in 2023. Toyota promised Solid State Battery in
2020 but never delivered and now does not talk about it so looks like
it is really still years away from production.

By Putting a Sodium-Ion Battery in an EV for the First Time Ever,
China Sehol/JAC and VW Score a Win
23 Feb 2023
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/by-putting-a-sodium-ion-battery-in-an-ev-for-the-first-time-ever-china-and-vw-score-a-win-210842.html

----------------------

CATL's First Sodium-ion Battery to Power Chery EV Models
2023-04-16
https://www.catl.com/en/news/6013.html

----------------------

Future Sodium Ion Batteries Could Be Ten Times Cheaper for Energy Storage
September 1, 2023 by Brian Wang
https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2023/...-be-ten-times-cheaper-for-energy-storage.html

----------------------

chonnertruk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Telecommunications
Country flag
Agree, we should evolve to Sodium for both its natural abundance and conductive properties. Thanks 😊
Sponsored