Cybertruck Backup Trailer Assist Feature?

Don B.

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
I wonder if the CT will have some sort of Backup Trailer Assist feature like the gasoline Ford F-150. It could be a "summon" type feature that lets you get out and drive the CT in reverse when towing a trailer that you want to back in to a driveway or camping site, and it's done with the Tesla app on your phone. All Tesla would have to provide hardware-wise is a special self-adhesive decal that you place on the front of the trailer, and then you'd take a measurement from the decal to the CT's rear camera and enter that in either the app or on the CT's screen somewhere (and I think you'd also have to enter the length of the trailer). Now THAT would be an awesome feature!
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I wonder if the CT will have some sort of Backup Trailer Assist feature like the gasoline Ford F-150. It could be a "summon" type feature that lets you get out and drive the CT in reverse when towing a trailer that you want to back in to a driveway or camping site, and it's done with the Tesla app on your phone. All Tesla would have to provide hardware-wise is a special self-adhesive decal that you place on the front of the trailer, and then you'd take a measurement from the decal to the CT's rear camera and enter that in either the app or on the CT's screen somewhere (and I think you'd also have to enter the length of the trailer). Now THAT would be an awesome feature!
Something along the lines of what you suggest would be wonderful. I find it hard to imagine that Tesla, having designed a truck to be functionally superior to existing trucks, and having the industry-leading software and robotic driving capabilities, wouldn't do something wonderful with regard to cargo and towing.

Haopec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX P100d, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I often wonder why Tesla, with the most camera and technology capability and resources, can't offer a 3D overhead plan view like my R1T, but they don't for some stupid reason!
I hope they at least offer different tow configurations by trailer type (presets). It would be nice to have preset brake settings that I can save (travel Trailer, car Trailer, boat, small utility trailer, etc.).

Yes, I tow a lot..

Baldey

First Name
Jenia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla M3, ct reservation
Occupation
QA automation
Country flag
I often wonder why Tesla, with the most camera and technology capability and resources, can't offer a 3D overhead plan view like my R1T, but they don't for some stupid reason!
I hope they at least offer different tow configurations by trailer type (presets). It would be nice to have preset brake settings that I can save (travel Trailer, car Trailer, boat, small utility trailer, etc.).

Yes, I tow a lot..
Because Tesla cams are positioned for a view of the road ahead/behind, not the road below. The cams other manufacturers use for the 360 view are only for that feature, and would be next to useless for self-driving. Tesla's prioritized self driving over a top-down view.

Don't worry though, tesla has the occupancy network to kind of do the same thing, and at least give you proximity lines all the way around. Hopefully this feature keeps getting better :)

ninja6r

First Name
Ninja6r
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, nissan leaf
Occupation
pass
Country flag
I really don't see this being a feature anytime soon. It's a niche thing, IMO. And believe me, I want it.

Kahpernicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Country flag

Yes, I tow a lot..

I think the reasoning before was that the cameras were setup for autopilot FOV and wouldn't give a proper birdshot.

The cameras on other vehicles were set up FOR birdseyeview.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I really don't see this being a feature anytime soon. It's a niche thing, IMO. And believe me, I want it.
Ford has been adding it to more and more vehicles.

I don't think it's very niche, it is a pretty big safety advance. Alot of pedestrian injuries and fender benders - most even - are under 5mph.

-Crissa

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Ford has been adding it to more and more vehicles.

I don't think it's very niche, it is a pretty big safety advance. Alot of pedestrian injuries and fender benders - most even - are under 5mph.

-Crissa
Shopping center parking lots can be hairy on a bicycle!

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
It may be a while coming, but if Tesla wants to get into the autonomous Semi business, I guess they would have to consider reversing a double.

I'm dreaming, but I wish to be able to scan an area with my Tesla app, and place my 2.5' x 24' preconfigured rectangle(RV) in the spot.

BTW, if they can land rockets on a boat, they can reverse a caravan to where I want it :D

Last edited:

Hemsing6

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1990 Honda 1500/6 SE Goldwing 2019 Chevy Blazer Pr
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’d like to see the furion camera system integrate with the center screen

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
A year? That's still a blink, though, time wise.

And the alerts are doing what they're supposed to: tell you to pay attention.

It's not FSD yet.

-Crissa

chonnertruk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Telecommunications
Country flag
Not sure I agree with the Forbes article. I'd like to see the hard data on tire dust emissions, but they shouldn't single out Tesla, as all tires for all uses, contribute to tire dust
I'd also like to see this data around Minerals used for battery manufacturing. Why would Elon state Lithium is so prevalent and other sources start challenging his claim NOW?
Sponsored