Cam Salazar

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Looking at the US inflation calculator a $70,000 item in 2019 would cost $85,000 but that would not include the FSD which at the time was $7,000, now its $12,000. so, 85K + 12K = 97K which is not far off from FS price of 100K so I don't see what people are complaining about. I understand that 70K cybertruck then proposed a 500 mile range. Well do you really want to be carrying around that big a battery? and the lack of 500 mile range is made up with more superchargers which was a big issue in 2019. (in most cases). I said all that to get to this point, I don't think the price will drop that in a non FS version without giving up some substantial items, like reduced range non FSD. My question now is what is the cost of a fully loaded maxed out ICE truck, GM, Ford, or Ram. My friend told me his new (in Feb) Ram was over $100K.
100% correct. I keep saying this same exact thing. I knew there would be a million reasons why I wouldn't get mine any time soon or in a fair manner, even though I was one of the first orders immediately after Elon said ordering was open during the 2019 unveiling. So I ended up buying a 2024 3500HD Denali Ultimate that set me back $122k plus taxes and fees. I ordered it last spring and got it this past September. Yhis is the most amazing truck ive ever owned but the only truck I like better than my current truck is the Beast, so as soon as I get it (hopefully in the next few months) I'm selling this gmc. It will be bitter sweet, but I don't keep trucks or cars long, I like the greatest and latest every few years.
I configured my Beast on Feb 2nd, still no VIN.
Sponsored

Alpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just saw that model x s 3 y are discounted another $2k since yesterday.

Petertsai

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, cybertruck reservation
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Monroe is expecting to get 500k-750k miles for truck life. Not sure ICE trucks can do that. No oil changes, radiator fluids, transmission, spark plugs, exhaust system (think catalytic converter stolen), brake pads, and others lower maintenance features will make EV truck very desirable.

LexusCyber

First Name
Marius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LS460 AWD V8
Country flag
I Agree! Additionally my Y saves about a thousand dollars a year in savings in gasoline costs over the Lexus we had before. wonder what savings the cybertruck would obtain for the average big ass pickup.
curious... what Lexus you had before?

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Monroe is expecting to get 500k-750k miles for truck life. Not sure ICE trucks can do that. No oil changes, radiator fluids, transmission, spark plugs, exhaust system (think catalytic converter stolen), brake pads, and others lower maintenance features will make EV truck very desirable.
I just went and checked in the manual. This is the maintenance schedule.

For additional information on vehicle alerts, see Troubleshooting Alerts.

• Brake fluid health check every 4 years (replace if necessary)*.
  • A/C desiccant bag replacement every 8 years.
  • HEPA filter replacement every 2 years, or every year in cases of off-road/dirt road driving.
  • Clean and lubricate brake calipers every year or 12,500 miles (20,000 km) if in an area where roads are salted during winter.
  • Rotate tires every 6,250 miles (10,000 km) or if tread depth difference is 2/32 in (1.5 mm) or greater, whichever comes first.
It's part of Tesla's Service Strategy. You don't need to build huge Service infrastructures when the vehicle barely need service.

Polen

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I love these threads where it helps me to justify paying the foundation series price.

don’t forget that when the model three was first announced they said it would cost $35,000 and ended up costing $50,000 and then if you wanted to get it early, you had to get the performance model with white interior.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I love these threads where it helps me to justify paying the foundation series price.

don’t forget that when the model three was first announced they said it would cost $35,000 and ended up costing $50,000 and then if you wanted to get it early, you had to get the performance model with white interior.
Uh, I believe that it was the first ~9 months of the Model 3 life in which the Performance Model wasn't available, nor the white interior.

As a standing in line reservation, the first ~9 months you had a choice. Of color only. LR RWD were the only things being made.

Polen

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Uh, I believe that it was the first ~9 months of the Model 3 life in which the Performance Model wasn't available, nor the white interior.

As a standing in line reservation, the first ~9 months you had a choice. Of color only. LR RWD were the only things being made.
good point, sorry about that. That was five years ago, but I do remember around the fall of 2018 when the performance model was available that they were giving priority to people who bought the performance model.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
good point, sorry about that. That was five years ago, but I do remember around the fall of 2018 when the performance model was available that they were giving priority to people who bought the performance model.
I believe that was correct.
But the Model 3 started shipping in 2017 to CA and employees, with wide-spread in Q2 2018.

Saygmo

First Name
Sas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 awd
Country flag
I always see these super long life experiences for ev’s, especially teslas where Munro has shown the enormous ball bearings the moving parts are riding on, but then see the record high mile model S with like 4 motor replacements and 3 battery packs or something like that. I haven’t done any research, was there some inherent flaw in the early model s motor and pack that goes out?

edit: Apparently early model s motors had a coolant seal issue. 14 motors in 1.2 million miles, less than 100k miles per motor. Packs lasted longer at around 300k per pack, and going by Tesla iterative improvements, my guess is the newest stuff should be very long term reliable, at least after they fix all the early cybertruck production glitches.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=38550175

Last edited:

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I always see these super long life experiences for ev’s, especially teslas where Munro has shown the enormous ball bearings the moving parts are riding on, but then see the record high mile model S with like 4 motor replacements and 3 battery packs or something like that. I haven’t done any research, was there some inherent flaw in the early model s motor and pack that goes out?

edit: Apparently early model s motors had a coolant seal issue. 14 motors in 1.2 million miles, less than 100k miles per motor. Packs lasted longer at around 300k per pack, and going by Tesla iterative improvements, my guess is the newest stuff should be very long term reliable, at least after they fix all the early cybertruck production glitches.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=38550175
There was a big change in the lifecycle of the Tesla product with the Model 3. A lot of learning had been done.

And there was a large step forward with batteries industry wide in that same time period as well.

The longevity testing that companies do, along with track records are fairly good indicators of lifespan.

I hear a LOT of issues with the early Model S drivetrain and batteries. And basically none for the Model 3, even though a LOT more have been sold. And sure, the Model 3 is younger, but we are beyond those periods in which the Model S first exhibited issues.

There are many fewer moving parts in an EV than an ICE.
Sponsored