Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Negligible effect. The truck market is what, 3 million a year? GM and Ford will have EV pickups around 2024 so there's a narrow window for Tesla and "the others" to establish their presence. As Sandy Munro points out, brand loyalty is "unbelievable" among truck owners.
Me? I'm more agnostic about brands and my Tesla reservation is a hedge. I mean, with battery tech changing so rapidly I'm having second thoughts about dumping a lot of $ into something that's obsolescent in 3 years.
when 70% of the Big 3 profit is trucks, losing even 5 % ( 150 000 ) hurts where it counts.
Sponsored

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Tesla fanboys believe that Tesla will take over the entire Automotive World, tomorrow. Execs at GM and Ford think Tesla is puny at less than 500,000 units in the US in 2020 and that they can kick Tesla's ass.

The truth is somewhere in between. Ford and GM will sell a lot of ICE pickups over the next 5 years. And they will also transition to electric pickups over time. (I think Ford teaming up with Rivian gives them a better shot. GM might fall on their face).

Tesla's biggest problem is factories. Or lack of them. It takes 2 years to find the land, buy it, and then build a factory. If they want to crush Ford and GM they need to start at least one more factory build in the US by the end of this year. They can't out sell Ford and GM with just GigaTexas. It is simply not possible. GigaTulsa needs to happen. And maybe GigaSouth Carolina.
Tesla doesn't want to crush anyone - their mission is to drive EV adoption and end ICE.

Neo

First Name
Neo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne Turbo | Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Professional
Country flag
I have been having the same thoughts ever since they first started to hint that the undercarriage might be cast. Why does everyone assume if it is cast it is aluminum? the 2 most commonly cast metals are iron and stainless steel.
https://intercast.com/2018/04/17/deciding-stainless-steel-casting-cast-iron/
Stainless would be wayyyyyyyyyyyy too heavy... This is why in frames it's a box, I-beam, C channel or other mostly hollow form. There is no need to cast those shapes. Based on the properties of Aluminum and SS, it makes most sense to cast Aluminum for it's strength to weight ratio. My 2 cents.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
This is great news. If true we should see some on the road testing fairly soon. Maybe that promised tour of the states...
Yes, we now have convincing evidence that:

1. The CT rollout will phase in late this year.
2. The CT rollout will begin some time next year.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Sounds like a alluminum subframe inside/under the exoskeletton........
This will be much faster to produce and chanels the forces (while towing) better to the structural battery pack.

I'm fine with that as long as they solve galvanic corrosion.
Sandy Munroe samples of the structural battery pack exhibit extruded aluminum channels at periphery which provide cooling, wiring raceways and enable structural integrity to the exo-skeleton.

Castings appear to be aluminum alloy and probably exhibit low to no corrosivity. Excluding structural attachment points to this channel-type extruded exo-skeleton, it looks to be a solved problem.

Third party attachments like plow, mower() and whatever add-on hasn’t thought up yet; that’s gonna be a heavy to impossible structural obstacle. ?
Sponsored