First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
Cybertruck design is final. Rear underbody to be one piece casting

Tesla Cybertruck engineering is done, first deliveries will happen this year, Musk says

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesla-cybertruck-elon-musk-production/

Tesla plans to deliver the first examples of its Cybertruck by the end of this year. That's the latest from Tesla CEO Elon Musk, speaking to members of the media during the company's quarterly earnings call on Wednesday.

"We'll make a few deliveries of the Cybertruck in 2021," Musk said, "but volume production is set for next year."

Musk also confirmed the Cybertruck is past its design and engineering phases. "We've got the designs fixed," he said. "We'll soon order the equipment necessary to make the Cybertruck." Whether or not the production version will look like the angular debut truck is still anyone's guess.

On that note, Musk said Cybertruck production will require an even larger casting press than the one being used for the Model Y. An 8,000-ton press will be necessary to make the truck, compared to 6,000 tons for the Model Y.

The first Cybertrucks to reach production will be the most powerful, tri-motor variants, according to an earlier report. The more affordable versions will be built in 2022. The Cybertrucks will be built at Tesla's new Gigafactory in Austin, Texas, which could be up and running as soon as May.
Sponsored

Cybercarlson

First Name
T.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
chevy K1500 decades ago, M3, MY, New Beetle
Country flag
Sounds like a alluminum subframe inside/under the exoskeletton........
This will be much faster to produce and chanels the forces (while towing) better to the structural battery pack.

I'm fine with that as long as they solve galvanic corrosion.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Sounds like a alluminum subframe inside/under the exoskeletton........
This will be much faster to produce and chanels the forces (while towing) better to the structural battery pack.

I'm fine with that as long as they solve galvanic corrosion.
you are assuming they will use aluminum for the undercarriage :) The larger casting press may be needed for the stainless steel casting. Unlikely, but i can hope right?

Cyberpartyboy21

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Buick Enclave
Occupation
Soon to be retired
Country flag
I think he is talking about a press for forming the exoskeleton parts. They would certainly need it for forming 3mm SS. He referred to it in stamping the Cybertruck bed.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
you are assuming they will use aluminum for the undercarriage :) The larger casting press may be needed for the stainless steel casting. Unlikely, but i can hope right?
I think he is talking about a press for forming the exoskeleton parts. They would certainly need it for forming 3mm SS. He referred to it in stamping the Cybertruck bed.
No the exo is cold rolled SS. It will not be cast. But he did talk about the bed in reference to the cast press @1:11:00

1:11:00

Last edited:

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
I have been having the same thoughts ever since they first started to hint that the undercarriage might be cast. Why does everyone assume if it is cast it is aluminum? the 2 most commonly cast metals are iron and stainless steel.
https://intercast.com/2018/04/17/deciding-stainless-steel-casting-cast-iron/

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I will be watching the video when Austin takes delivery of this monster casting press. The concrete foundation must be massive to support this metal beast.

It will be interesting to see what happens to F150/Silverado/Ram sales after the Cybertruck goes into mass production next year.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Stamping and casting are two different processes and tools. You could maybe stamp the bed but not 3mm stainless. You would have to cast the front/rear end.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I will be watching the video when Austin takes delivery of this monster casting press. The concrete foundation must be massive to support this metal beast.

It will be interesting to see what happens to F150/Silverado/Ram sales after the Cybertruck goes into mass production next year.
They still have plenty of room in their casting area for many more casting machines. So far they have only made 3 pads.

shocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt, Silverado,
Occupation
Retired scientist
Country flag
Negligible effect. The truck market is what, 3 million a year? GM and Ford will have EV pickups around 2024 so there's a narrow window for Tesla and "the others" to establish their presence. As Sandy Munro points out, brand loyalty is "unbelievable" among truck owners.
Me? I'm more agnostic about brands and my Tesla reservation is a hedge. I mean, with battery tech changing so rapidly I'm having second thoughts about dumping a lot of $ into something that's obsolescent in 3 years.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Negligible effect. The truck market is what, 3 million a year? GM and Ford will have EV ...
Yes, and they will have worse range and price.

In 2024 Tesla will have like half a million units capacity while those two will be putting out a tenth of that together.

-Crissa

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Business Insider. CyberTruck update mirrors posting.

"If we get lucky, we'll be able to do a few deliveries toward the end of this year, but I expect volume production to be in 2022," he said.
Sponsored