Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Although these are reasonable concerns, we know that the design is finalized, and we have seen videos that show an automatic handle, so I wouldn’t get my hopes up on that one.
You are most likely right. Not that Elon would be taking orders from me even if design was not complete. For some of us being able to work on minor issues with reasonable part price is something we are used to. Calling Tesla for every little thing for the life of the vehicle and paying through the nose for it, takes some adjustment. So far with everything I know CT remains the most attractive option (certainly not perfect, I really want a spare tire as a part of the design).
Sponsored

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
After responding to a Tesla Model S that lost control on the highway and ended up with the front right quarter against the embankment, we could not figure out how to open the driver side rear door from the outside, turns out the owner could not open it either. It was a completely undamaged part of the car. After seeing that, I would certainly prefer a mechanical/manual door handle.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Just break the window and pull the emergency handle.

I don't buy this 'didn't know how to get in' stuff.
I remember seeing demos when I was little of the "jaws of life" being used to pry open cars. The CT may by tough, but I feel like pneumatic cutters will trump any cards an accident can play.

That said, I like the look and idea of the retracting handles. Adds another layer of cool to it, even if it fails sometimes. I hear people mention that the Tesla toor handles are unreliable, but it always only seems to be threads like this or YouTube vids talking crap. Everyone I talk to in real life loves them.

I think it's just a negativity bias just like with FSD. The only people being super vocal are the ones who would whine about anything if it meant they'd get paid attention to for 5 seconds.

Last edited:

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
Just break the window and pull the emergency handle.

I don't buy this 'didn't know how to get in' stuff.

-Crissa
Well I'm not lying. I don't know where the emergency handle is. I would bet that none of the other firefighters in my department know either. We could certainly tear the car apart if needed (which would take some time), but it wasn't needed in that situation.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Can someone tell me what is the advantage of this over M3 door handle design other than the cool factor? Putting an additional layer of complexity (a motor) between me and the door handle seem unElon and unCT like design. There must be a functional reason here I am missing.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Can someone tell me what is the advantage of this over M3 door handle design other than the cool factor? Putting an additional layer of complexity (a motor) between me and the door handle seem unElon and unCT like design. There must be a functional reason here I am missing.
It's one less motion for the user to get in or out. Less fingerprints on the outside. Can't be broken from the outside.

-Crissa

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Here’s Elon’s original design brief from CT launch:

BETTER UTILITY THAN A TRUCK – MORE PERFORMANCE THAN A SPORTS CAR
DESIGN BRIEF
1 Low Cost
2 High Utility/Performance
3 Efficient
4 Safe

Design is not just what it looks like, design is how it works. Aesthetic is engineering that’s been integrated. Elon went “no handles” on the apocalyptic CT. The genius is that Zombies can’t grab you by your door handle, open your door at a stoplight and prevents the ‘I forgot to lock my doors “ headbanger! First principles: secure the door stop carjacker, robber/thief and protect us from ourselves from harm.

IDK Tesla inside door solution but do trust that its the same engineers that worked out the exterior threat assessment security solution.
Sponsored