Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model s
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
With how durable the Cybertruck will be and how off-road capable, I would like to see Tesla consider an option with airless tires. This new technology looks very promising. Perhaps this is something Tesla will manufacture in house like they do with so many other advancements. What are your thoughts about this?
Sponsored

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
Realistically, i doubt this would be something they would get into, at least anytime in the near term. There are plenty of companies out there that have been doing this for a long time and are very good at it. . Additionally, its not really an industry that would be ripe for disruption, as tires are still round. While it would be cool, especially if they could make some environmentally friendly compound to make them, i dont think we have seen anything pointing to them putting any time into this (patents, test products on mules/test vehicles/prototypes).

jonny

First Name
jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
car
Country flag
With how durable the Cybertruck will be and how off-road capable, I would like to see Tesla consider an option with airless tires. This new technology looks very promising. Perhaps this is something Tesla will manufacture in house like they do with so many other advancements. What are your thoughts about this?
there is a reason you dont see them out there. the tweel has strips of rubber to support the tire and rocks can get stuck in that area making the tire unbalanced at high speeds,

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
...and rocks can get stuck in that area making the tire unbalanced at high speeds,
...Just like getting rocks in your wheels. That happened to us last time we went rockhounding. Mud went into the wheel and so we had to limp back to town to get it blown out with a powerwash before we could go home.

-Crissa

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
Whether "Tweel" or "Uptis"- snow, slush, ice, mud...have NO BEARING on the tires webbing/spokes in any way.
Rocks...have yet to be a problem but I figure someone will just "HAVE TOO" hammer in a rock and say "SEE"!
Sponsored