Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Construction Worker
Country flag
I believe that Tesla will probably(>30%) have another CT event with the updated design.

While the livestream wasn't the worst thing in the world, there is so much more information about the truck that we don't know including what's new and old(there were rumors that the event ended way too soon due to the glass breaking). Elon can retry the CT event while showing us the new stuff.
The biggest hint for me is that the old event isn't available to watch on the Tesla YouTube account. While it's likely true that they removed it to save face, it would be the only event(to my knowledge) that you can't watch. My guess is that this could happen soon after the first couple CT's are produced at Fremont's pilot line(Rumor).
Sponsored

Rick'sCT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I have only become seriously interested in Tesla vehicles in the past couple years. I don't know how much they updated the public when they were about to release a new model. I don't remember any info so my guess is updates were not often or not widely talked about.
I love that Tesla does not advertise and remains kind of a mystery to most people... its like I know a cool secret that most don't.
Now that the competition to the CT is showing itself maybe Tesla will remind the world why the CT is a badass. Although considering the huge number of pre orders in spite of what some would consider a less than stellar reveal, maybe we get to keep our cool secret a little longer.

drcarric2650

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150
Country flag
I love competition, and that Ford added vehicle to house (grid). I hope tesla takes notice, seems like it could easily be integrated with a power wall.

KrodEKid

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota corolla, Mazda 5
Country flag
I'll be the wet blanket on everyone's excitement and remind everyone that Elon has boo-hoo'd V2G (or home) in the past couple years and talked about complexities and concerns for doing this.

I for one would love this but not sure if I would pay the extra money for an electrician to hook to capability up to my house. I could easily plug in a couple essentials into the inverter in the back of the bed.

During a power outage, what's more important? Having full electric service to my house or a vehicle with full range? It's a tough choice and my answer would likely change depending on the cause of the outage and expected time to return to grid service again.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It's no contest. Being able to fill my EV before the outage (via stormwatch) would fill nearly all the power gaps that my home suffers. My current batteries last longer than the network's batteries, so there's a limit to the amount of power I can consume.

If I need more power, I don't need a full charge to go down the hill to somewhere else with power.

-Crissa

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I'll be the wet blanket on everyone's excitement and remind everyone that Elon has boo-hoo'd V2G (or home) in the past couple years and talked about complexities and concerns for doing this.
The elephant in the room is that when the truck becomes the source of power for your house your house must be isolated from the grid. Tesla solves this problem by connecting your house to the mains with a 200 A contactor which the gateway opens when the utility goes down. But suppose you have 400 A service? You would have to kluge a bigger contactor into the system or, alternatively, serve only 200A worth of load through a separate panel. This is the approach that is often taken with small generators. Only a handful of loads are served during a power outage.

The situation is the same when your BEV takes the role of a Powerwall. The isolation is still required and a "gateway" needs to be installed in your house wiring.

I for one would love this but not sure if I would pay the extra money for an electrician to hook to capability up to my house.
Putting the rectifier/inverter box on the wall isn't that big a deal. Pulling a 100 A circuit for it and installing the gateway is. It may be possible to use one of those little boxes with a small set of breakers that are often used with portable generators to safely serve a limited number of circuits.

I could easily plug in a couple essentials into the inverter in the back of the bed.
Or you could feed one of those small auxillary panels I just mentioned from the bed outlet.

During a power outage, what's more important? Having full electric service to my house or a vehicle with full range?
Not much question in my mind and I'd guess most practical people would reason the same way which is why I doubt there will be much demand for this. But then a practical guy my age doesn't order an expensive truck that looks like a piece of cheese made out of stainless steel.

It's a tough choice and my answer would likely change depending on the cause of the outage and expected time to return to grid service again.
The best argument I can make for it is that if you have it you don't have to use it unless circumstances warrant it but if you don't have it you can't use it when circumstances do.

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I believe that Tesla will probably(>30%) have another CT event with the updated design.

While the livestream wasn't the worst thing in the world, there is so much more information about the truck that we don't know including what's new and old(there were rumors that the event ended way too soon due to the glass breaking). Elon can retry the CT event while showing us the new stuff.
The biggest hint for me is that the old event isn't available to watch on the Tesla YouTube account. While it's likely true that they removed it to save face, it would be the only event(to my knowledge) that you can't watch. My guess is that this could happen soon after the first couple CT's are produced at Fremont's pilot line(Rumor).
Is your belief >30% or your belief is 100% and Tesla doing it >30%? And how did you arrive by this confidence level and probability? I would love to see another live event but 30% I am not going to hold my breath for.

nitrohuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
Is your belief >30% or your belief is 100% and Tesla doing it >30%? And how did you arrive by this confidence level and probability? I would love to see another live event but 30% I am not going to hold my breath for.

He built a scatter plot chart, threw a dart at it, and then divided by zero

pat11215

First Name
pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
The elephant in the room is that when the truck becomes the source of power for your house your house must be isolated from the grid. Tesla solves this problem by connecting your house to the mains with a 200 A contactor which the gateway opens when the utility goes down. But suppose you have 400 A service? You would have to kluge a bigger contactor into the system or, alternatively, serve only 200A worth of load through a separate panel. This is the approach that is often taken with small generators. Only a handful of loads are served during a power outage.

The situation is the same when your BEV takes the role of a Powerwall. The isolation is still required and a "gateway" needs to be installed in your house wiring.

Putting the rectifier/inverter box on the wall isn't that big a deal. Pulling a 100 A circuit for it and installing the gateway is. It may be possible to use one of those little boxes with a small set of breakers that are often used with portable generators to safely serve a limited number of circuits.

Or you could feed one of those small auxillary panels I just mentioned from the bed outlet.

Not much question in my mind and I'd guess most practical people would reason the same way which is why I doubt there will be much demand for this. But then a practical guy my age doesn't order an expensive truck that looks like a piece of cheese made out of stainless steel.

The best argument I can make for it is that if you have it you don't have to use it unless circumstances warrant it but if you don't have it you can't use it when circumstances do.
How does Ford do the set up for the Ford Lightening home powering? I will search for some information, but I think you guys might have a better understanding than me. 🙂

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
How does Ford do the set up for the Ford Lightening home powering? I will search for some information, but I think you guys might have a better understanding than me. 🙂
The person you are replying to AJ Delange, was a well known member of this form for many years. He was a retired electrical engineer with lots of knowledge. I have wondered for quite a while what happened to him. He was last here Jan. 5 2023. I even Googled him a few months ago. And lots of info about him and his beer brewing. But nothing recent.
Sponsored