Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
Hehehe, it could be an arm and a leg, after awhile.

The CT, Y... will be recording EVERY faux pas (from speeding 1-4-10 mph over any speed limit, not coming to full stops, turning when not allowed, making unsafe turns...) and sending it to "Tesla Insurance".

Hmmmmm, could be interesting, we will see.
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I've been wondering for awhile about this, and thinking Tesla could purchase an insurance company to get around this.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have been with USAA for a long time.
We have the farm and all vehicles insured with them and get a discount for doing so.
No one has ever beaten their prices.
Unless Tesla offers lower rates I'll stick with USAA.
I have had them since I was a 2ndLt.....home, cars, life and umbrella.....no one can touch them.....only thing I hate is that I cannot get windshield coverage cause they dont offer or cover windshields

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
I've been wondering for awhile about this, and thinking Tesla could purchase an insurance company to get around this.
They don't buy the companies, they partner with them.

It is in California now, is starting (started?) in Texas, and is coming to Illinois. According to Yahoo.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
One reason would be to avoid a union shop. But cultural fit and the entrenched engineering team would also be a problem. Beyond that is the problem of the legacy products, factories, and finances. Overall I think it would be a horrible idea for Tesla.

An insurance company would have cultural issues to deal with but that might be worth getting access to all the states. And if need be, Tesla could shut down their current business. Keep the best people. Keep the state arrangements and work to get Tesla insurance accepted. But this would probably be a plan B or C. Better for Tesla to roll out its own state by state business if possible.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
There's also the problem that we can't get a national agreement on what constitutes insurance. Some states protect the customer far, far more than others.

-Crissa

TessP100D

Banned
Banned
First Name
Faris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 P100D
Country flag
Hehehe, it could be an arm and a leg, after awhile.

The CT, Y... will be recording EVERY faux pas (from speeding 1-4-10 mph over any speed limit, not coming to full stops, turning when not allowed, making unsafe turns...) and sending it to "Tesla Insurance".

Hmmmmm, could be interesting, we will see.
Yes. Theres that too.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
It depends on a lot of things, unfortunately the insurance industry hasn't caught up to the EV industry in any capacity. They just look at it as a high value car and then base it on who is driving it. There is no consideration for whether or not you have safety features, fsd, anything of the sort. Last time I spoke to my business vehicle insurance they actually considered FSD a liability and not a safety feature, they also claimed that since it added value to the car they needed to insure it for more. I already pay a little under two grand a year in insurance for my business vehicle, I can only imagine what they would want to charge for my cyber truck.

I'm not going to get into how insurance is basically a scam for the most part, but being able to buy insurance directly from Tesla for a fraction of what it would cost to go through any other major insurer is huge. assuming Tesla insurance is available and fits your needs, there's really no other way to go.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Check Wawanesa if it's available in your state, we are $64/month each for the two Model 3s.

Dorstop

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trimotor Cybertruck, Silverado
Occupation
Chiropractic Physician
Country flag
Illinois Insurance: Tesla will have there own insurance through Midvale Indemnity Co, subsidiary of American Family according to Tesla.

Akgolf

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 and 2022 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Retired Computer Programmer, USAF
Country flag
I think we’ll be replacing my wife’s 2016 Prius V with a Model Y soon.

I checked with USAA and it’s only an extra $5 a month for the Y.
Sponsored