Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Got a question for those that have a Tesla Insurance and those that are considering it. Does it or will it have an impact on how you drive because you feel like you are being watched by Tesla?

I am assuming your driving habits are being recorded (for Dojo's education and for insurance evaluation).

If the rates were the same, would you go for a non Tesla company for that reason?
Sponsored

TirNaOg

First Name
Deasun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition
Country flag
Anyone from NJ with insurance info. / comments?
I know we wont get our CT2 for a bit yet but am interested in insurance costs. What to expect.

datechboss101

First Name
Akaash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Acura MDX
Occupation
IT Help Desk
Country flag
I'm paying $4500 for a year on Geico, but everybody else is like asking arms and legs for me (previous car was an accident magnet, hence two at-faults on my record), and Geico gave me a very decent amount coverage!

Just by what I pay, I might be looking at the same price by 2023 or whenever I take delivery of my CT, since my at-fault surcharges will be removed and my rates will start to be lowered. But pretty sure insurance will be high overall for Florida because of the number of wreckless and careless drivers that are flooding the state recently.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Cybertruck will surely cost more to insure, but I don't suspect it will be absurdly high compared to similar sized trucks as long as you go with an insurance company that isn't screwing EV owners.
I wonder how many insurance companies are in bed with big oil in some way. Shared board members, shared ownership, invested in funds, etc. There are a variety of non-obvious ways that companies could be linked.

Deleted member 5322

Just checked Progressive and compared it to my Geico. I pay $941.40 for both my cars. Progressive offers me $1580 for the same coverage. How do others get better prices on Progressive than Geico? Or it just does not work for CA?

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Just checked Progressive and compared it to my Geico. I pay $941.40 for both my cars. Progressive offers me $1580 for the same coverage. How do others get better prices on Progressive than Geico? Or it just does not work for CA?
I worked shortly for an insurance company (Safeco before they got bought). One thing I learned there was that insurance companies have divided locations and individuals up into multiple separate markets. If you or your location at in a market that the insurance company is not interested in, the just jack up the price to make it uncompetitive. This way they never have to tell you they don’t want you as a customer but if you are insistent on using them then the get compensated extra for taking you on. While I was there, Safeco was jacking up prices to homes in flood prone areas because they had decided that their flood exposure was too high. So when it came time for people in those areas to renew, their prices would be high enough to make a large number of them go shopping for alternatives.

Deleted member 5322

I worked shortly for an insurance company (Safeco before they got bought). One thing I learned there was that insurance companies have divided locations and individuals up into multiple separate markets. If you or your location at in a market that the insurance company is not interested in, the just jack up the price to make it uncompetitive. This way they never have to tell you they don’t want you as a customer but if you are insistent on using them then the get compensated extra for taking you on. While I was there, Safeco was jacking up prices to homes in flood prone areas because they had decided that their flood exposure was too high. So when it came time for people in those areas to renew, their prices would be high enough to make a large number of them go shopping for alternatives.
Gotcha....
Gonna stay with Geico. I've been geiced for 6 years in a row, might be it is why no one could give me at least same price....

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
the[y] just jack up the price to make it uncompetitive.
This is what I learned during my (short unsuccessful) stint at trying to automate insurance software during the Dot-com boom as well.

TessP100D

Banned
Banned
First Name
Faris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 P100D
Country flag
Tesla insurance in California is very limited in what they offer. If you are young and single with no assets and drive a Tesla it might be ok. But, if you are married and have assets, well it’s not a good solution.

TessP100D

Banned
Banned
First Name
Faris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 P100D
Country flag
Why?

-Crissa
It’s complicated. When you have assets you have a big pile of stuff to protect. Just the way the world is today. let’s say you have multiple homes, a business, 5 or 6 cars, a wife and maybe kids on your policy. Perhaps a boat. You need to be able to talk agent and compare all the limits and maybe add an umbrella. Lots to think about.

unfortunately with Tesla Insurance that is not possible. they only deal online, and only quote one policy with one driver and one car. No wife and no kids. I tried it and it was a joke.
somif your single aNd have no assets and drive one car and don’t mind the lack of a real person or agent I guess it’s ok.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I'm going to say you're talking out of your hat, P100

https://www.tesla.com/support/insurance

Honestly, I wonder sometimes why someone with 'multiple homes' is so poorly informed.

I have never, ever gotten cheaper insurance because of an agent. Not in thirty years of insurance.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Spartacus

First Name
I said Mark with a "C"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra, Prius, KTM Super Duke
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Don’t do the so called “safe driver” option offered by most insurance companies. This is the nanny you plug in to the OBD port. Did this on a Prius and got insurance jacked by Progressive ... ya you heard right a Prius. No accidents or claims in at least 40 years but my sharp turns or stops to avoid a neighborhood crazy dog (almost daily) got me in doo doo.
Sponsored