Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The computers and drive modules need to be able to be replaced by any capable tech, without requiring Tesla's permission.

Integration does not mean not serviceable, it just means larger parts are swapped out at once.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I agree, but I suspect it’s not likely to happen. Look at the latest tear down of the structural battery pack.

The thing is built to be a single piece. If you lose a cell, you are not going to be able to replace it. That pack is designed to be a single solid non-serviceable unit. Not only is it difficult to get apart, it is almost certainly structurally compromised once it’s been cracked open.

Many of the pieces of the Cybertruck will be similar.
I am not so sure that you are right. Cory said himself during the Munro 'peel off' that they had spoken to someone that knew what stuff to apply that would melt the pink stuff. That would make access to the cells much more straight forward. The Munro folks did it the quick and dirty way because they wanted to get the battery pack teardown video out.

Unfortunately it begs the question of who would 'want' to gain access to individual cells. I have read about people shorting across damaged cells and that kind of behavior is not what I would want done with my vehicle. Maybe for people in the junk business but not your every day car owner.

Personally I like the idea of modular systems. In the long run they are easier and faster to replace and that makes repairs less costly. If the battery pack has a usable lifetime at or beyond 10 years (and much longer if you read comments by experts), then many people will be second or third owners. The same goes for the drivetrain and suspension.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Right to repair should mean we can at least replace the pack without needing Tesla.

-Crissa
The Munro battery pack teardown showed that it was relatively straight forward to remove the battery pack from the Model Y. I suspect that the CT will be even easier. I also suspect that removing the front or rear drive units will be more straight forward than removing an ICE engine and transmission.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The Munro battery pack teardown showed that it was relatively straight forward to remove the battery pack from the Model Y. I suspect that the CT will be even easier. I also suspect that removing the front or rear drive units will be more straight forward than removing an ICE engine and transmission.
Programming the computer to accept those changes, tho... And getting the parts... Tesla has stood against those. I wish they would not.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yeah, things like changing out the battery pack should be super straight forward. I can see people swapping out a low battery packs for one from a totaled truck.

For that matter, I wonder how long Tesla will keep the Cybertruck design on the market? If they keep the design around for some time, we might be able to get replacement packs for not too much money. Battery prices will continue to drop in the long term.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Programming the computer to accept those changes, tho... And getting the parts... Tesla has stood against those. I wish they would not.

-Crissa
You may be right but it is a small percentage, at least for the next few years, that would want to, and by then things might be different. It is hard to predict the future with any degree of accuracy/certainty.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Right to repair should mean we can at least replace the pack without needing Tesla.

-Crissa
Right?
The damn thing is like a snapshot in time. A picture of the process, materials and assembly in which the whole 4000+ cells were married to the structure in sticky foam.
In my experience, automobiles suffer their makers and it lasts the eternity of its existence. Pack blows up replace the damn thing - whole! As fast as technology revs, newer, better batterypacks are gonna be resto-mod upgrades.
I’m Pro Right-to-Repair, Pro Modification, Pro Re-Programmable and Pro Cyber whatever comes along I own the damn truck, I fix it, muck it up and Cyber it up to do whatever the hell its gotta do.
But Tesla own the technology, I’ll recognize that Tesla doesn’t want GM blade batteries added on top of its LiON batterypack. I respect that the batterypack was sealed for cause, not anti-RtR and Tesla software is fully capable of demodulating that batterypack w/o exposing it. But mostly, electronics fail in the first 30 days which includes batterypacks. That sucker fails, faults or farts, it should be shucked whole out from under a Cybertruck - replaced anew under warranty by Tesla.
There’s not one excuse to have private owners tearing apart a 200kW batterypack - ever. And once you get past 30days, likelihood of a failure falls off a cliff. Abuse, mis-use and defect are the likely culprits thereafter. Defects, errors or omissions are patently onerous species to prosecute inside a sealed batterypack. Good luck…🙏🏼

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You may be right but it is a small percentage, at least for the next few years, that would want to, and by then things might be different. It is hard to predict the future with any degree of accuracy/certainty.
Sure. But every Tesla will want to be repaired.

-Crissa