Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
premium sound system
What are the chances? SONOS is an option!

Beyond impressed, as a musician, I’ve not heard more musical, lyrical and freq modulated sound. I’m referencing six figure systems that can’t match its retail consumer product in-home.

Excited to see SONOS chase the automotive space. It’s been a crafter’s market and branded space ripe for disruption. Plus, a Tesla SONOS option probably interoperates outside the truck WiFi and adds something Space-y to your cell phone.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
At what is currently the price point there should not be a whole lot of accessory’s. Heated seats, heated steering wheel, ventilated seats, premium sound system auto dimming high beams, auto wipers, dimming mirrors etc…, all come on new ice vehicles at the same price point. We shall see how much Elon will try to gauge everyone. I would think that upgrades will be higher capacity batteries ( which he should just make 500 miles across the board also solar panels etc
Tesla doesn’t play that game.

You pick single, dual, tri, or quad. Maybe interior color (possible extra $), maybe pick wheels (extra $$), And maybe a couple other major option.

Heated seats, heated steering wheel, ventilated seats, premium sound system auto dimming high beams, auto wipers, dimming mirrors… Most of that will come on every truck or none of them.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
When Robots start making things, Musk alluded to a land of plenty.

I don't know when this time will come, but it may start as early as next year, with the first production version.

In essence, we are left with the cost of raw material + whatever, much lower operating expense.

Even now, we benefit by economies of scale. Adding an extra to every model, and making it standard, lowers the cost substantially. But with the help of Optimus, over time this expense will continuously be progressively lower.

We might be masterminding that progression into cars already.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
When Robots start making things, Musk alluded to a land of plenty.

I don't know when this time will come, but it may start as early as next year, with the first production version.

In essence, we are left with the cost of raw material + whatever, much lower operating expense.

Even now, we benefit by economies of scale. Adding an extra to every model, and making it standard, lowers the cost substantially. But with the help of Optimus, over time this expense will continuously be progressively lower.

We might be masterminding that progression into cars already.
On excess...have a look in your bin. We have had excess for a while already, and the poverty line has been creeping up since ages. But the biggest indicator of excess if how wasteful we are, both as individuals, but also on a corporate scale. Especially if you consider externalities and accumulated manufacturing waste streams, that a customer never gets to see.

You'd be shocked to find out how much milk and food product is thrown out every week, it's actually a viable income stream to convert to energy.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
George Carlin's comedy 'stuff', encapsulates the perspective you pose (I think), and I agree with that. But this is not about well-heeled westerners.

This is not about begrudging having too much... we should begrudge others not having.

It is a world where you have transport if you want, you have food if you want, you have a roof if you want.

12 years ago, at the age of 50, I went broke ( not bankrupt), a year later, I was putting petrol in my car, I had $5 in my pocket and $70 in the bank. School fees to pay, rent and general house bills, In a pile at home. At the age of 57 I had a heart attack , bypass. Infection. Vertigo… The sofa was my friend for 2 years.

I was putting out my bin too. But there was a lot of suffering. My neighbour didn't know.

A world of plenty will help the super greater majority who go without.

The comedians and philosophers can talk about too much stuff.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
George Carlin's comedy 'stuff', encapsulates the perspective you pose (I think), and I agree with that. But this is not about well-heeled westerners.

This is not about begrudging having too much... we should begrudge others not having.

It is a world where you have transport if you want, you have food if you want, you have a roof if you want.

12 years ago, at the age of 50, I went broke ( not bankrupt), a year later, I was putting petrol in my car, I had $5 in my pocket and $70 in the bank. School fees to pay, rent and general house bills, In a pile at home. At the age of 57 I had a heart attack , bypass. Infection. Vertigo… The sofa was my friend for 2 years.

I was putting out my bin too. But there was a lot of suffering. My neighbour didn't know.

A world of plenty will help the super greater majority who go without.

The comedians and philosophers can talk about too much stuff.
Sorry I wasn't trying to trivialise anyones hardships. Rather just recognise just how different and more established society is already, as you also have demostrated with having a bypass, which although by far not the nicest thing to have, is yet still possible and affordable here in Australia even if you are "broke".

To be clear I don't doubt we will see even more excess of products and services in the future, and an over all increase in creature comforts and material wealth, as we master manipulating and transforming our environment to our wishes.

But I think its important to accept that in the grand scheme of things and in comparison to even just 100 years ago, we are definitely living in the age of abundance, even though the distribution of abundance is likely not justified.

There is a philosophical reason why, but in my view its from the abundance and universal access and affordability of energy that in turn runs our tools of leverage on the environment, that create even more leverage on the environment, to "supernatural" levels. Hence sustainability being a concern in every industry.

Having things powered, essentially for free, from the conversion of energy from our nuclear power station in the sky, will mean that even more energy will become available to change our environment to the things we need, and want. Hopefully, we become fully conscious of the cost of externalities of our development and place them on our balance sheets as we progress into sustainability, and not away from it.

Last edited:

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Yea Jbee, glad you mentioned it. Forum writing sometimes leaves some loose ends. Not for a second did I think you were trivialising, or even that you would.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
What are the chances? SONOS is an option!

Beyond impressed, as a musician, I’ve not heard more musical, lyrical and freq modulated sound. I’m referencing six figure systems that can’t match its retail consumer product in-home.

Excited to see SONOS chase the automotive space. It’s been a crafter’s market and branded space ripe for disruption. Plus, a Tesla SONOS option probably interoperates outside the truck WiFi and adds something Space-y to your cell phone.
What no valve amps and nearly massless electrostatic speakers driven by a custom DA converter pre-amp? We have a dedicated sound studio building in the backyard. :)

Which Sonos speakers are you referring too?
Sponsored

Last edited: