Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
One of my favorite Waits songs and one of the best unofficial music videos of all time.

I mean there are just so many great songs and different styles he worked through over the years.. but this one always gets me. If you still think this guy can't sing or make music then no one can help you!

Looks like I'll be on a Tom Waits Spotify kick for the next 3 months!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Honestly, I really like him as a movie actor. He was great in Mystery Men ^-^

As the Cybertruck is going to be our second most expensive purchase and the first time we'll have two new vehicles, I'd better be getting my spouse's consent.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I mean there are just so many great songs and different styles he worked through over the years.. but this one always gets me. If you still think this guy can't sing or make music then no one can help you!

Looks like I'll be on a Tom Waits Spotify kick for the next 3 months!
I’d pay a couple grand for tickets to the time machine to go back and catch one of his shows.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Car purchasing was typically always more of an objective thing in our household, even since being a kid, to the point we went for long periods even without a car. And when we had a car it was a VW bus, simply because I had four siblings and what else can you get to drive that many around in those days?

The worst thing about them were the little fold out windows for ventilation in Australia (no such thing as A/C!) but otherwise the engine air cooling made them nearly indestructible in our bi-annual 4000km cross Nullarbor trips to the eastern states ro visit family.

And I think in this day in age a good dose of objectivity should be included in any vehicle buying process, particularly financial or technical capbility, or if value for money is a concern. Let alone if theres a sustainability concerns.

The point is that these more strict and dominate factors often form buying habits, in particular in family priorities, and those naturally suppress any desires for subjectivity, that is more common in smaller "lower cost" families with higher disposable incomes. It seems that in those types of households theres more freedom to make those choices, and even compromise to get something based on how it looks. The decreasing birth rate is accelerating this trend.

It never surprises me how many people simply get used to things and become complacent and docile, in subduing their own desires or dreams to keep the peace, then suddenly reach a threshold where the "me" wants to come out and be free again. My experience has been that it's important to keep a balance between allowing yourself to be taken advantage of, and allowing others to take care of you.

My personal beleif is that it should always be weighted towards giving more, and taking less and acknowledging to yourself consciously, that that is the way you want it, and not hold the other to account if they don't measure up. The trick is to find the balance, so that poor behaviour is not promoted, that then ends up in a inconsequential death spiral of taking the liberty of another to their own detriment.

Overall I think the CT really covers a lot of these "objective" concerns which probably makes it perfect for many that consider these things without a more subjective bias. Especially so if you consider the longevity and potential multi generational use of the vehicle that would naturally extend its use beyond the current needs of an individual.

In that regard, it's highly likely that a higher specced and better optioned CT will over time result in a better ROI the longer the CT exists, in particular because a larger pack will be charge/discharge cycled less overall, and that options are used over a longer period. There's generally a tendency for options to become "standard equipment", which is just another way of saying "included in the price".

The technical longevity of the CT is likely to change it's resale value as well, in that a CT will age better, be less mechanically prone to failure (unless it's always used on the performance/mass limit) and potentially be refurbishable with new interior or wear and tear components. Together with free at home charging (already have 30kW off grid solar) I expect the lowest per km vehicle costs I have ever had, meaning that financially I would have more capacity to option up.

On that basis my option list would include, if not offered standard accross the range anyway, in order of priority:

Dual or quad motor
Long range battery
4WS
FSD (prefer subscription model, but I have cheaper FSD locked in on all 3 orders)
Tow Hitch
Bed HVAC
Midgate and/or load stop tailgate
Spare Wheel
Solar roof if under $2k
Frunk fridge

Ed Harris

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Damn!! what the hell? sounds like some super bossy wives out there, getting all up in where y'all are spending your hard earned money. This can't be normal, would these "wives" accept this kind of input into the vehicles they drive, or their other purchases? Idk? but that sounds like maybe ya might need a marriage counselor or divorce lawyer instead of a Cybertruck. Totally unacceptable behavior!!!
FYI my wife is making more per year than I do. She does exceptionally well as a personal shopper at Chanel Fashion. She has clients from all over the world. She's getting the first Tesla, a Model Y. Now that it's built in Texas, sometime in September 2022. She waited for the new battery configuration. I got her on the road to where she is at today 18 years ago with all my connections. She did the rest. And I might add, she earned it too.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
Seems like someone needs to start a "Spouse vs. Cybertruck" thread.

My wife HATES the CT. She even knows Franz from college, he used to hang out and bum rides to class from her all the time. Oddly, she was selected alumni of the year from Syracuse a little while back, and he still hasn't been. Still... she hates the way it looks even with a kind of connection to it.

But, she just doesn't care what I drive as long as I'm happy in it.

No, they didn't date. And no, they never kept in contact since graduation but they have a friend in common.

May as well say how I found out... After the CT reveal at dinner my daughter and I showed her the whole onstage reveal proud of our order. She watches the video with a look on her face like somebody farted. Then Franz comes out to hit the white car door, she squints and goes "Franz? Dafuq? I know him. He lived next door and bummed rides to class from me and my sister for years!" I explained he was the designer, her response. . . "That's still an ugly ass truck.".

YeahYeahYeah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tundra(sold),02 Subaru Outback,1967 Fastback
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I wouldn't poo poo a vehicle that someone else was going to be driving. I'd only comment on it's specs and capabilities in a kind way. I almost always buy new trucks, they're reliable, and I drive all over the state and beyond to work. The only thing I'm objectively looking at, and assessing is build quality, safety, vehicle specifications, capabilities. I'm the one driving it, it's like my home office away from home. Not taking any "advice" on what I drive, what I wear, what I carry, the tools I use, and I wouldn't ever see it as being my place to tell someone else what to drive or bellyache about it's styling

When I had my truck being serviced because of an accident the dealership gave me one of those boxy "cute" suv's. When I pulled up to the coffee shack in it the barista loved it, I smiled and said I hate it!!! hahaha it's a loaner I can't wait to get my truck back lol

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
My wife likes that I like the truck. The style is too aggressive for her tastes.

Funny to me, I do not discuss the truck with her, she will bring the truck up out of the blue and then claim I talk about it all the time. Which is to say, she is jazzed about the truck but will never admit it.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I feel sorry for my wife,

Whenever we go for our walks, I have bring up the same

The CT will be great
We will buy a caravan
Shares will quintuplemultitimes
Did you hear what Elon said

etc etc etc etc endles etc

Any dissent I quickly squash!!

Now she readily agrees with me, and then changes the subject

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Thats a sign of a healthy marriage if your wife still listens to you about EM and CT, and you still notice she has changed the subject! :p

Cebliminal

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R/T Durango, Harley Davidsons, Toyota Tundra 4x4 put deposit down for Cybertruck
Occupation
Executive Chef/Food & Beverage Director
Country flag
They say you can configure late 2021 as productions starts up.
At what is currently the price point there should not be a whole lot of accessory’s. Heated seats, heated steering wheel, ventilated seats, premium sound system auto dimming high beams, auto wipers, dimming mirrors etc…, all come on new ice vehicles at the same price point. We shall see how much Elon will try to gauge everyone. I would think that upgrades will be higher capacity batteries ( which he should just make 500 miles across the board also solar panels etc
Sponsored