DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
The front looks really scratched. Or is that just typical steel brush?

la-cybertruck-petersen-museum-ea-isv8waaa2x6d-jpeg.jpg
To me, it looks like a poor job of applying stainless steel polish as they made it ready for display. You have to rub that polish smooth to cover all the panel otherwise it looks streaky, especially under those spotlights. This is not what brushed steel looks like.

---------------
In general, thanks to everyone who made the trip to see it and give us more insights. It makes me want it even more.

I agree that the fit and finish is likely due to this vehicle being an engineering prototype. Also, remember that Elon said the production version would be "slightly better".
Sponsored

Idaho_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 3/4 ton
Country flag
Wonder if the visible exterior part of the wheel is a hubcap? Whether for city curbs or normal off-road use this portion of the wheel is unusable in actual day to day, all around, driving. Odd to have an off-road tire with this wheel combination. We will need the option of removing these hubcaps, different factory wheels or possibly the aftermarket manufacturers can fill the requirement.

stumby

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S P90D
Country flag
Wonder if the visible exterior part of the wheel is a hubcap? Whether for city curbs or normal off-road use this portion of the wheel is unusable in actual day to day, all around, driving. Odd to have an off-road tire with this wheel combination. We will need the option of removing these hubcaps, different factory wheels or possibly the aftermarket manufacturers can fill the requirement.
Yes, that's just a wheel cover. Here's a look at what's speculated to be the wheel design underneath the cover.

From: https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...-wheels-on-cybertruck-in-workshop-studio.158/

Here's a peek at alternative Cybertruck wheels In the video where head designer Franz tests throwing a metal ball at the window in a workshop.

Looks like a nice multi-spoke design to me.

Tesla Cybertruck Production Wheels1.PNG

Tesla Cybertruck Production Wheels3.PNG

Tesla Cybertruck Production Wheels2.PNG

Video where it's from:

m.delmed129

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, LR, DM, FSD. Cybertruck Res.
Country flag
They’re likely just aero covers, like on the base Model 3 and base Model Y. The purpose is for range efficiency, but as with the Model 3 and Model Y, they have a designed wheel underneath.

The wheels under the aeros are generally not too bad in their own right. I seem to be one of very few that actually kind of like these aero covers.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Great pics and vids everyone. Bravo.

seeing some fit and finish issues I hope they work out by production time.

bit concerned about the dual camera placement by the license plate. Could cause issues and be covered in European countries.

love that it has a tow hitch receiver! Not to thrilled about the knockout area around it, looks cheap And unfinished. also did not see a trailer light plug.

overall still very excited to own one.

Idaho_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 3/4 ton
Country flag
They’re likely just aero covers, like on the base Model 3 and base Model Y. The purpose is for range efficiency, but as with the Model 3 and Model Y, they have a designed wheel underneath.

The wheels under the aeros are generally not too bad in their own right. I seem to be one of very few that actually kind of like these aero covers.
I agree, the "Aero Covers" do indeed look great, match box perfect. Yet simply not practical in real world use. Thanks for pointing out that there is a wheel underneath.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Please keep in mind that this is only a prototype. I felt privileged to see it in person on Saturday and I am pumped to take delivery.

Now I am just waiting for battery day and the CT factory announcement. Lots of exciting news still to come!

m.delmed129

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, LR, DM, FSD. Cybertruck Res.
Country flag
I agree, the "Aero Covers" do indeed look great, match box perfect. Yet simply not practical in real world use. Thanks for pointing out that there is a wheel underneath.
Day to day driving the Aeros are actually extremely practical, and useful, as they’ll maximize your range, especially in long distance drives.

I agree off-roading they won’t be practical, but pretty much any other scenario, I don’t see how they wouldn’t be able to stay in place, and be beneficial

roncruiser

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1994 80 Series Land Cruiser, 2002 100 Series Lexus LX450, 2005 Lexus IS300
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
If anything, I think the production version is going to be worse, building a one-off prototype should be easier than mass production
If anything, it's a good thing your not a part of the volume design and manufacturing groups for Tesla.

Kidding aside, I'm happy I'm further back in the purchase queue. Tesla's all about continuous improvement. Later purchasers will reap the benefits of these improvements.

Cybercarlson

First Name
T.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
chevy K1500 decades ago, M3, MY, New Beetle
Country flag
@roncruiser :

Same with me, especially as the European Version (CYBRTR EV ..... LOL):ROFLMAO: will not be the first batch delivered. I can wait, patience is a virtue.

I would not mind if they just build it at GIGA Berlin (they are constructing additional buildings there...),
even though our QC is not what it used to be.....

If not I would like to pick the EVersion up at the (Texas) Factory, for an extended US Roadtrip and then ship it to the EU later.

Edisonsucks

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri motor, 08 Cayman s
Country flag
If anything, it's a good thing your not a part of the volume design and manufacturing groups for Tesla.

Kidding aside, I'm happy I'm further back in the purchase queue. Tesla's all about continuous improvement. Later purchasers will reap the benefits of these improvements.
That’s part of the reason I opted for the tri motor. By the time they start producing those QC should be somewhat locked down I’d imagine.

mrazndead1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3
Country flag
took a bunch of photos and video I even did a live Periscope for the first 20 minutes The car is awesome and very bold It is huge in person and is definitely well worth it I will be getting one for sure
Sponsored