Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda accord
Occupation
Plumbing
Country flag
Hi I'm getting a modle Y in the near future and need to get a home charger.
I'm on the list for the tri motor cybertruck so i want to get a charger that is suitable for both. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Sponsored

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Were Utah still my home, future considerations would be a selection criteria, second only to first principles.
In SLC-Provo Valley inversion kills Solar future options - Go to 1st Principles.
Outside Wasatch front microclimates drive Solar futures - Go to Options
Southern Utah Solar rules - Go to Solar
Western Utah deserts - Go Solar

1st Principles : take it from Tesla owners/EE pro recommends to follow.

Options: You have ā€˜em.
You can go Solar, if not now - plan around solar buying charge piece to fit size of your future possible array.

You can go Solar, but never will happen - Go to First Principles
You are undecided - Buy an affordable overnight charger(s) that makes sense to your economics now.
You change your mind - eBay them when you decide BIGGER is better than more chargers. Go BIG? - see First Principles

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The Tesla home charger.
I have to agree that the Tesla HPWC is probably the best solution but not the only one, of course. The current Gen 3 HPWC can share power with other HPWC and the only requirement is that they must be on the same WiFI net. Installation is fairly simple, they are $400 and, best of all, back in stock in the Tesla store.

As for the CT: It is almost certain that the HPWC will charge it but the trimotor was to have a battery of 200 kWh capacity and the truck expected to consume nearly 500 Wh/mi. So Tesla may come up with something to allow faster charging than you would get with a 48A HPWC. My favorite speculation is that it will have a second charging port which is sort of what they were doing with the Semi back when. In which case you could just add another HPWC.

You can, of course, power these things from solar (I do) but that is an entirely separate subject.

Lives2TruckAround

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'92 Jeep Wrangler and 22ā€™ Model Y
Occupation
Retired young/Business Owner
Country flag
I recently was tearing down my garage walls because when the neighborhood was build they didnā€™t insulate the garage. Now itā€™s my job. So I took it upon myself to install a 240v outlet to charge my Model Y with 32 amps due to the charging cable it came with limitations.

if I were to do the same thing I recommend buying the Tesla Wall Charger to charge a smidge faster. I just didnā€™t want to buy it at $500 since my Y came with a charger.

Overall, I would HIGHLY recommend buying the tesla wall charger for your question. Especially for the CT. Then, in the future, you can add a couple of solar panels and a small battery bank and lower the cost of charging it/them. Then could possibly upgrade later to make the house off grid. These are just the thoughts in my head and my future projects. Good luck

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
I ordered a Model Y Performance a few weeks ago, and my charger arrived while I was on vacation. From what I understand you can't install a level 3 charger in a residential home without 10's of thousands of dollars worth of equipment and permits. So a Tesla level 2 charger would be the best (as far as we know).

Also when you get the electrician to install a 240 outlet, don't tell him/her that it's for an EV or they'll tack on hundreds for no reason. The money you save by not telling the electrician will just about pay for the charger.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck question wally
Sponsored