Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I believe the website said you could raise or lower the height by 4 inches each way.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SpaceYooper

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
I'm, most likely, wrong - but, my recollection was that the 4" number was the travel for the adjustable air suspension. And NOT the overall suspension travel. The way I heard it the 4" would be how much the truck would raise and lower automatically (if set to do so) while driving - higher speeds the truck would lower itself for better aerodynamics. Higher speeds the truck would rise for better clearance.

This would have nothing to do with normal suspension travel.
Great! I'd still like to see the wheel travel specs. They aren't posted anywhere that I've seen.

I'd also still like to know how the structural battery effects the RTI if at all. My assumption is that the bottom of the CT with its structural battery pack, will be significantly more rigid then traditional 4x4s. All other things being the same, I feel like this rigid CT bottom would have a negative effect on the RTI (again, all other things being the same). However, I feel like I want the bottom of my 4x4 to be rigid and not flexing and twisting. I want all the RTI scoring to come from the suspension performance, opposed to the vehicle's ability to twist in a way that aids suspension and RTI score. And I want this stiff bottomed CT to perform comparably to the RTI scores of modern full size, extended cab/crew cab trucks. Somewhere just about 400 would be good enough to ease my concerns. The new Ram TRX is boasting a 605. I think Raptors are somewhere around 460.

To put that in perspective this Jeep Gladiator Rubicon score a 458 with the stabilizer bar connected and 607 with it disconnected.

I believe the website said you could raise or lower the height by 4 inches each way.
Yes, it sure does. Now only if Tesla it would post some more specs.

OP
OP
SpaceYooper

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I'm still hoping for a Baja 1000 present (17-22 Nov)...which would be more of a Thanksgiving present.

Even if it doesn't race, which I really don't expect, some overlanding, mild off-roading demos would be cool enough to keep me content until final specs are released.

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Great! I'd still like to see the wheel travel specs. They aren't posted anywhere that I've seen.

I'd also still like to know how the structural battery effects the RTI if at all. My assumption is that the bottom of the CT with its structural battery pack, will be significantly more rigid then traditional 4x4s. All other things being the same, I feel like this rigid CT bottom would have a negative effect on the RTI (again, all other things being the same). However, I feel like I want the bottom of my 4x4 to be rigid and not flexing and twisting. I want all the RTI scoring to come from the suspension performance, opposed to the vehicle's ability to twist in a way that aids suspension and RTI score. And I want this stiff bottomed CT to perform comparably to the RTI scores of modern full size, extended cab/crew cab trucks. Somewhere just about 400 would be good enough to ease my concerns. The new Ram TRX is boasting a 605. I think Raptors are somewhere around 460.

To put that in perspective this Jeep Gladiator Rubicon score a 458 with the stabilizer bar connected and 607 with it disconnected.

Yes, it sure does. Now only if Tesla it would post some more specs.
I think we’ll hear more after the final prototypes have been built. (Just guessing)

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I'm still hoping for a Baja 1000 present (17-22 Nov)...which would be more of a Thanksgiving present.

Even if it doesn't race, which I really don't expect, some overlanding, mild off-roading demos would be cool enough to keep me content until final specs are released.
I think next year is much more likely.

Wildfortune

First Name
Denise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered Tri-motor C/T to replace my Ford Edge
Occupation
Retired to a Hobby Farm
Country flag
I'm, most likely, wrong - but, my recollection was that the 4" number was the travel for the adjustable air suspension. And NOT the overall suspension travel. The way I heard it the 4" would be how much the truck would raise and lower automatically (if set to do so) while driving - higher speeds the truck would lower itself for better aerodynamics. Higher speeds the truck would rise for better clearance.

This would have nothing to do with normal suspension travel.
My old notes show a range of +3 / -3 inches of adjustment for a total of 6". At the stated 16 inches of ground clearance, assuming that to be max height, it might have 10" at it's lowest setting.

Since then, Elon said that he was revisiting the air shocks for better off-road capability but there is no word on it yet.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
My old notes show a range of +3 / -3 inches of adjustment for a total of 6". At the stated 16 inches of ground clearance, assuming that to be max height, it might have 10" at it's lowest setting.

Since then, Elon said that he was revisiting the air shocks for better off-road capability but there is no word on it yet.
Yeah, I have not found my source, but my notes from when I was gathering specs had 16" max, but normal was 12" and had an range of 8 inches, 4" up and 4" down... Still not sure where I found that.

I also found a break over angle calculator that takes into account wheel size, wheel base, and ground clearance. That calculator spit out 24.1 degrees for break over. The length is offset by the ground clearance, as there are 'offroad trucks' with worse breakover...

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
from my notes:
SUSPENSION

Dynamically adjusts for load

Off-Road 2 - this mode provides the most ground clearance for the path and trail and generous angles for approach, departure and breaker. The difference from normal is +2.0 inches.

Off-Road 1 - like Off-Road 2 mode but with less rise. The difference from normal is +1.2 inches front and +0.9 inches rear.

Normal Ride Height - balance of ride and handling for everyday driving.

Aero mode - automatically lowers the vehicle, reducing aerodynamic drag and “body roll,” and measurably improves fuel efficiency. Only useable at highway speeds. The difference from normal is -0.6 inches.

Entry/Exit mode - automatically lowers the vehicle, making it easier to get in and out of your truck, load your bed or hook up your trailer. This mode is manually controlled by the internal button bank or remotely with the key fob. The difference from normal is -2.1 inches front and -1.7 inches rear.

OP
OP
SpaceYooper

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Rex, good information, but I don't think there is a way to take that info and determine RTI or even definite wheel travel for the font or back while in those modes.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
from my notes:
SUSPENSION

Dynamically adjusts for load

Off-Road 2 - this mode provides the most ground clearance for the path and trail and generous angles for approach, departure and breaker. The difference from normal is +2.0 inches.

Off-Road 1 - like Off-Road 2 mode but with less rise. The difference from normal is +1.2 inches front and +0.9 inches rear.

Normal Ride Height - balance of ride and handling for everyday driving.

Aero mode - automatically lowers the vehicle, reducing aerodynamic drag and “body roll,” and measurably improves fuel efficiency. Only useable at highway speeds. The difference from normal is -0.6 inches.

Entry/Exit mode - automatically lowers the vehicle, making it easier to get in and out of your truck, load your bed or hook up your trailer. This mode is manually controlled by the internal button bank or remotely with the key fob. The difference from normal is -2.1 inches front and -1.7 inches rear.
What is the source for this information?

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
I wonder. Electronic suspension can be optimized for off-road, great at speed (Baha), and great at crawling (The Hammers). My hope is this is how it's optimized. Not to suffer in any terrain, but be stellar regardless where. peace

Sleipnir

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AEV Prospector XL
Country flag
Body on frame vs unibody vs ev/skateboard rti’s….the body on frame will win, especially if it has a solid axle or two. It’s a pretty dumb thing to even compare.
Sponsored