Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Currently Dodge Truck owner
Occupation
Insurance
Country flag
I’m not sure if I’m geek-splaining or boomer-splaining or what, and you can totally disregard this if this is out of line. But…

normally all lights are off unless cars have daytime running lights and even some daytime running lights the tail lights are off as well. With my cars in the past and even my Model Y the “parking lights” (as they are labeled in my Model Y setting screen) usually don’t have the tail lights on unless I turn the headlights on manually (and automatically at night) then the tail lights turn on.

sorry if this was a dumb explaination but I said it for my own peace of mind.

Your boomer-geek ways... they comfort me
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I’m not sure if I’m geek-splaining or boomer-splaining or what, and you can totally disregard this if this is out of line. But…

normally all lights are off unless cars have daytime running lights and even some daytime running lights the tail lights are off as well. With my cars in the past and even my Model Y the “parking lights” (as they are labeled in my Model Y setting screen) usually don’t have the tail lights on unless I turn the headlights on manually (and automatically at night) then the tail lights turn on.

Aren’t taillights supposed to appear red even when off?
don't worry, buddy - im with ya' here

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck spotted driving in CA (4/20/23) - follow footage video! ct back
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck spotted driving in CA (4/20/23) - follow footage video! ct back 2

RobWashington

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Mazda Miata, Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
The oil canning is going to be an interesting change in the auto scene. I am willing to bet that’s why most vehicle body panels began to be curved in the first place. I do wonder what the CT would look like if the panels had a very slight curve to them
If it is really 3mm thick, don’t need to worry about oil canning

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
If it is really 3mm thick, don’t need to worry about oil canning
seems like people aren’t noting oil canning proper, but the similar appearance of minor waves in panels - their appearance amplified by the reflective surface of the SS

RobWashington

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Mazda Miata, Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Production tooling should help then

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
Like Aircraft Exoskeleton and Monocoque or semi monocoque construction still has supporting structure the load is being carried by the skin and after forming (bending or stamping) the rigidity of a 3mm Stainless Steel skin will be significant.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck spotted driving in CA (4/20/23) - follow footage video! fuselage1

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag

lol I’m 40 but I likely wasn’t clear. I was referring to the color of the housings not the lights being on/off

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Like Aircraft Exoskeleton and Monocoque or semi monocoque construction still has supporting structure the load is being carried by the skin and after forming (bending or stamping) the rigidity of a 3mm Stainless Steel skin will be significant.

fuselage1.png
Staying in line with my previously comments on what i believe to be a significant weight reduction effort, I believe the only panels on the truck that will be 3mm are the doors. Partly i believe that because they made a bullet proof claim and they will try to stick by that. Partly because the early patent showed that the door skin will in fact be most of the door structure. I attached the old image. I bet they will actually glue the door panels to some larger hinge plate that connects to the hinges because they won't be welding anything to the SS panel.

I think overall they are struggling to get the mileage they claimed and they made major weight reductions. You can clearly see oil canning at the right angles above the rear quarter panel in this video. It could still be 3mm. But my bet is that it was all lightened up. Very possibly below 2mm in my opinion based on the canning in that video.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck spotted driving in CA (4/20/23) - follow footage video! 1682446762542

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck spotted driving in CA (4/20/23) - follow footage video! 1682447174595

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck spotted driving in CA (4/20/23) - follow footage video! 1682447304363

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck spotted driving in CA (4/20/23) - follow footage video! 1682447405869

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
effort, I believe the only panels on the truck that will be 3mm are the doors.
I believe this is incorrect

I’ll post a better explanation for it later, but for now:

If the SS isn’t performing some substantive structural support, there’s no way the aluminum castings and can frame will accomplish the CT’s payload/towing/offroad capabilities

Assuming Tesla will meet those specs, it entails that the SS is performing structural support

This means, contra to your point about the doors, the strongest SS panels need to be the front and rear quarter panels (which span the interior frame segments)

I suppose they would get value still from 2mm SS performing this structural work, rather than 3mm

but fundamentally the point is that the doors are not the only segment of the truck for which the stainless needs strength

in fact, setting aside the “bulletproof” point, it’s the doors that matter zero for structure - so the SS there could be thinned without effecting structural registry of the truck

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
If they're using spaceX stainless they probably won't add the step of making the stainless sheets thinner since it'll add to the price. They'll just use what they already have if Elon's "best part is no part/why add a process" mentality is true.

And why are people worried about the taillights not being on. As if, on release day Franz and Elon are going to simultaneously smack their foreheads onstage, blurt "Da lights!", and look at each other wide-eyed.

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
I believe this is incorrect

I’ll post a better explanation for it later, but for now:
You should have deployed Fermat's Last Dodge:

"I have discovered a truly marvelous proof of this, which this margin is too narrow to contain."

🤣

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
You should have deployed Fermat's Last Dodge:

"I have discovered a truly marvelous proof of this, which this margin is too narrow to contain."

🤣
bother, I got my PowerPoint fired up today :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored