Cybertruck Tech - theories

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Likewise. Not sure why he makes such a huge deal of this idea. The situations where you would need it most, it will likely be the least reliable. And if things go wrong you are very likely to be in a worse situation than you started.

Well except “crab” mode. Crabbing sideways in traffic instead of turning to change lanes is arguably safer. But should be automatic.
Will crab walk help in parallel parking? I guess it depends on how much the wheels are allowed to angle.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Will crab walk help in parallel parking? I guess it depends on how much the wheels are allowed to angle.
I think opposite steering would be more helpful, crab walk would bump you into the car in front or behind the space. In general, having rear steering when you are reversing should be a huge improvement.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
You don't need 45° to make a diamond turn nor do you need mm accuracy. You do in high speed steering, but that's a problem in common with any of the by-wire four wheel steering solutions.

-Crissa
How does it work without 45degree steering angle without scrubbing your tyres to shreds?

An no its not at all the same as other drive by wire systems. They have each pair of wheels on the same axle connected mechanically together, which means the are all Akermann linkages and the steering geometry is already fixed and works for every angle. With independent wheel control you don't have that and have to do that all syntheticly with sensors and twice as many actuators. It won't happen, there's nothing to gain from doing it.

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
If you don't know how to parallel park, I don't think making it more complicated will help. 🤣

I used to be a valet parker and if I parallel park manually I can usually be sitting at my table ordering a drink faster than most autonomous parking systems can accomplish the task. There may be an algorithm that could take advantage of in-phase and out-of-phase steering to get into tighter spots, but the average human driver would be flummoxed by 4WS when attempting the maneuver.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
If you don't know how to parallel park, I don't think making it more complicated will help. 🤣

I used to be a valet parker and if I parallel park manually I can usually be sitting at my table ordering a drink faster than most autonomous parking systems can accomplish the task. There may be an algorithm that could take advantage of in-phase and out-of-phase steering to get into tighter spots, but the average human driver would be flummoxed by 4WS when attempting the maneuver.
As I said in my post. It depends on the angle the wheel can be turned. Just found this. This is kind of what I was thinking. With less angle, I still think it can work, just need a larger parking spot.

Yes, Rutrow, I also know how to parallel park. My biggest complaint is when I turn on my turn signal and pull past the spot, some idiot behind me on the busy street pulls up to close and gets in my way.
Sponsored