jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
navigator - juke - ram 1500
Occupation
graphix designer
Country flag
2) I was disappointed in the 2B SS finish. It looked like a concept vehicle with large swirls in hood and cosmetic blemishes on every panel. A #4 brushed finish would help give the truck a much nicer appearance. It’s not enough for me to cancel my reservation though. The truck is simply awesome in the flesh!

wonder if that brushed finish is doable on that steel, that would make the whole truck look different and uniform from all the others!

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Some of us don't worry about parking in a garage and just deal with it. This beast, lives on my driveway. I'm hoping for some improvements in charging times announced on battery day, so I can replace it with a new beast in my driveway.
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck too big? beast

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
The Cybertruck is a true full-size truck, so that makes it big. It's not freaky big or anything though. If you're used to driving a car or typical crossover, there's some adjustment. I drive a Challenger right now, and it's a pretty big car. It has some inconveniences compared to my previous Focus, mostly in parking. But once you're used to it, it's not bad, and the extra space is great. I find it similar when I rent a truck to deal with things my car can't handle. Seems like a massive beast, but after a while it's not bad. It feels so easy going back to my car, but i often miss the space.

I think they nailed it with the CT size. For me it will replace my car and the trucks I rent every few months. One of my gripes of trucks is less about the size and more about the bulkiness, the looks and the high center of gravity. The CT looks much more sleek, will have far better handling, the seating position is lower and the visibility much better. It walks the line between performance car and utility vehicle perfectly. I think any smaller would have compromised function and comfort, not to mention road presence. This isn't a shrinking violet, it's an in-your-face vehicle in the mold of Hummers, Raptors, Vipers and Lambos. Be big and own it.

I think part of the reason it looks so big to people is the car-like appearance. We expect trucks to be big, we don't expect something with that sloping front and back to be huge. It looks like a Countach on steroids, making it massive to your brain's expectations.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I think part of the reason it looks so big to people is the car-like appearance. We expect trucks to be big, we don't expect something with that sloping front and back to be huge. It looks like a Countach on steroids, making it massive to your brain's expectations.
I think this hits the nail on the head. Once we start seeing it in the wild, it won't seem so massive, too, But those big, simple shapes make it seem larger than it is.

My mom's SUVs always looks so big to me but put it in a parking lot with the others and you realize she bought the smallest one. The Cybertruck will hide behind Fords in parking lots like it's stealth. (And carry just as much or more.)

-Crissa

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
ok. How will you charge It? Not In your garage.
No I will Charge it outside of my Garage where my current truck usually is parked. I'm fortunate to have my electrical panel in my garage and not far from the outside wall where I will charge my Cybertruck. I'm sure most people with a garage won't have much issue having an electrician set up an outlet or the Tesla wall charger in a good place for them.

Also the Tesla wall charger might be a little expensive but it will be very nice to have for an outdoor parked cybertruck since it is designed for inside and outside. Although I personally plan to build a small roof for it just so it isn't always wet in the rain or covered in snow/ice in the winter.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
No I will Charge it outside of my Garage where my current truck usually is parked. I'm fortunate to have my electrical panel in my garage and not far from the outside wall where I will charge my Cybertruck. I'm sure most people with a garage won't have much issue having an electrician set up an outlet or the Tesla wall charger in a good place for them.

Also the Tesla wall charger might be a little expensive but it will be very nice to have for an outdoor parked cybertruck since it is designed for inside and outside. Although I personally plan to build a small roof for it just so it isn't always wet in the rain or covered in snow/ice in the winter.
Just trying to help with this suggestion...you might want to look at a couple other charging options as well if you are putting it outside. (yes you will need to use the adapter) but the nice part about putting it outside is that others could charge at your house when they come to visit. this is something i think is going to be much more common in the future as EV start to gain a foothold in the market. The one I have(Juicebox by ENEL X) even has a lock so if you arent plugged in or not home, you dont have strangers hooking up to your charger.

ColoradoBlah

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Mustang PP
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Trucks always feel big at first, I own a Mustang and was worried about a Laramie rental for a week. By the time I had to give it up, i completely fell in love with the thing. Road visibility is so nice, going back to the Stang felt just as jarring. Once you get used to the size you’ll see why so many people buy these monstrosities. Cant wait to ditch the Ford for the CT!

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Just trying to help with this suggestion...you might want to look at a couple other charging options as well if you are putting it outside. (yes you will need to use the adapter) but the nice part about putting it outside is that others could charge at your house when they come to visit. this is something i think is going to be much more common in the future as EV start to gain a foothold in the market. The one I have(Juicebox by ENEL X) even has a lock so if you arent plugged in or not home, you dont have strangers hooking up to your charger.
That will be a good option for a lot of people that charge outside. I'm probably going to stick with the Tesla charger, my driveway is long and you can't even see my garage from the road. But I would certainly look for one that can lock if anyone could drive by and see a charger on my wall. I expect Tesla will eventually add a locking feature or maybe they can make it so you have to pair it with your EV and no other EV can charge off it (like when non-Teslas try to charge at a supercharger).

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I was getting worried until the sizes were released. All this talk of full size trucks wasn’t doing me any favours. Apart from the extra length of 21.6” it’s not far off the size of my 2016 Nissan Navara NP300 double cab with the mirrors open, obviously there’s doing to be extra width with mirrors or cameras on the CT, just hope they will be electric folding mirrors if they go old school. Going to have to extend the garage by removing the rear bifold doors out by at least a foot or two or my other option is to use the area at the side of the garage. Going down this route would allow me to relocate the 4 post lift so I would use it for the CT. Hopefully the CT can be slammed down to below the 75” by 4” or so that way I can have it parked under the lift for double stacking.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wouldn't worry about someone charging off your charger. It's just too silly.

First, they'd have to park in your spot. Second, they'd have to be there to charge for hours in your probably remote neighborhood. Third, if they're borrowing yours, you aren't there using it. Fourth, it's yours, you can just turn it off. Fifth... home chargers are like running a dryer or oven for a couple hours. They aren:t a big deal as we're talking loose change per hour you probably wouldn't stop and pick up,

In short, there's just no reason to lock up level 1 and 2 charging ports.

-Crissa

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
That will be a good option for a lot of people that charge outside. I'm probably going to stick with the Tesla charger, my driveway is long and you can't even see my garage from the road. But I would certainly look for one that can lock if anyone could drive by and see a charger on my wall. I expect Tesla will eventually add a locking feature or maybe they can make it so you have to pair it with your EV and no other EV can charge off it (like when non-Teslas try to charge at a supercharger).
yes, for anyone living in a populated area, i could see this quickly becoming a must have, a lock. the general public parks ICE vehicles in tesla spots all the time, no reason others wouldnt think they are entitled to use a charger on your own property. There are definite perks of the tesla one, for me it was more about giving others the option to use it someday. one other thing to mention is that there are rebates and incentives for energy star ones so could save you $500 or so. unfortunately Tesla's isnt ...

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
yes, for anyone living in a populated area, i could see this quickly becoming a must have, a lock.
Why would anyone lock it up?

A) Your spot has to be free. If it's a public spot, you probably aren't putting a private charger on it,
B) The Tesla charger locks into the vehicle, so no one can use it when you're using it,
C) If you control the charger, you can just turn it off and unlock it from another vehicle.
D) It's not that much money (a few cents an hour) to operate. So it doesn't matter if you charge someone else.
E) The new chargers allow metered charging - so you could just make whoever else pay for it.
F) Security by obscurity - they would have to know your charger is there in this weird residential place.

Locking it up makes less sense than putting a lock on your garden spigot.

-Crissa

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
Why would anyone lock it up?

A) Your spot has to be free. If it's a public spot, you probably aren't putting a private charger on it,
B) The Tesla charger locks into the vehicle, so no one can use it when you're using it,
C) If you control the charger, you can just turn it off and unlock it from another vehicle.
D) It's not that much money (a few cents an hour) to operate. So it doesn't matter if you charge someone else.
E) The new chargers allow metered charging - so you could just make whoever else pay for it.
F) Security by obscurity - they would have to know your charger is there in this weird residential place.

Locking it up makes less sense than putting a lock on your garden spigot.

-Crissa
Thanks for the laundry list, but if mine were outdoors on my property, i, personally, would lock it up. It prevents others from using when im not home, and also deters vandals as well. There are plenty of scenarios where a private parking spot is visible to the public, necessitating locking the device.

The fact is that many residential EV Charging companies are putting locks on their devices, so obviously there is a need. I dont come on the forum to argue, I'm just trying to give suggestions and help to others who may not have considered all their options.