A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Because the last post was long and probably confusing to many (uses dreaded math) I took the formulas and used them to make the following picture based on several assumptions. Because of this the graph cannot be expected to produce accurate estimates of what range one will get with a particular trailer but rather give an idea of what the implications of increasing trailer weight and grade are when a trailer is towed.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Towing Range TraileFactors

To use the graph find the intersection of the grade and trailer weight. Now look at the curves to the left and right of this and note the numbers on them. Multiply the number on the closest curve by the range of your CT without a trailer. For example if you have the 500 miles Trimotor and the closest curve is labeled 0.6 your estimate is 0.6*500 = 300. You can refine the estimate by interpolating between the two closest curves. For example, if your intersection lies half way between the 0.5 and 0.6 curves the factor is 0.55.

Because this is an attempt to simplify I'll refrain from discussing the assumptions or the implications of changing them but will be happy to respond to any questions.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

eaglefire

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Because the last post was long and probably confusing to many (uses dreaded math) I took the formulas and used them to make the following picture based on several assumptions. Because of this the graph cannot be expected to produce accurate estimates of what range one will get with a particular trailer but rather give an idea of what the implications of increasing trailer weight and grade are when a trailer is towed.

View attachment 583

To use the graph find the intersection of the grade and trailer weight. Now look at the curves to the left and right of this and note the numbers on them. Multiply the number on the closest curve by the range of your CT without a trailer. For example if you have the 500 miles Trimotor and the closest curve is labeled 0.6 your estimate is 0.6*500 = 300. You can refine the estimate by interpolating between the two closest curves. For example, if your intersection lies half way between the 0.5 and 0.6 curves the factor is 5.5.

Because this is an attempt to simplify I'll refrain from discussing the assumptions or the implications of changing them but will be happy to respond to any questions.
This is a perfect tool to help with towing decisions and the impact we'll see with battery range. I'm good with math but certainly more of a visual learner. I saved this chart for a helpful summary of what to expect while towing my Airstream Travel Trailer. Thank you for taking the time to help and put together so much excellent data and information.

Last edited:

Trencherman

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F350. Toyota Tundra
Occupation
Excavator
Country flag
Battery pack option for the bed of the truck for range extender for towing. Would be great if the factory could make it plug and play.

Alpeyev

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maybe Cybertruck, Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
If the semi can tow 400+ miles, with an additional year of development.... why can’t the CT get close to that? ??‍♂
I bet you that semi aerodynamics with trailer are better than dragging a flat sail behind we call RV.

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
If the semi can tow 400+ miles, with an additional year of development.... why can’t the CT get close to that? ??‍♂
I would expect the smaller Semi which the advertised range of pulling a semi trailer is 300 miles could pull a 5th wheel at least 400 miles. Problem might be the charging

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
What is the cost to purchase the semi vs the CT? I think you get extra range for extra cost with the semi. How far can the semi go when not towing?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Pulling the right load under the right conditions it can. But as the practical range of the CT is 400 miles with no trailer the "right load" is a very small one and the right conditions are downhill with a tail wind.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
There is a Rivian forum that has a thread on what posters would like Rivian to add to their trucks. Thinking of trailering while looking at this particular thread it came to me that having a strain gauge on the hitch could be potentially valuable. As it is potentially valuable to the CT (and perhaps the Semi too) I thought I'd mention it here. Forgive the wee bit of math. F = m*a. F is the force on the trailer measured by the strain gauge, m is its mass and a the acceleration. When you pull away the tractor pulls the trailer with force F and accelerates by an amount a as measured by the odometer or a separate accelerometer (there is one in your smart phone). The ratio gives an estimate of the mass (gross weight) of the trailer. Knowing the weight makes better range estimation possible as the Telsa algorithm takes elevation changes into account. Knowing gross weight has safety implications and may be helpful in loading. WTH, I'm asking for one strain gauge. Why not ask for a second and have the CT display tongue weight as well?

E = F*x in which E is energy and x is distance traveled. From this we can get the Wh/mi consumed by the trailer which is at the heart of good range prediction. Having information Wh/mi data for the trailer will be as valuable in learning how one's trailer performs under various driving and weather conditions will be as valuable as that Wh/mi for the truck is for learning its performance characteristics.

Somebody Titter or Fleet (or whatever it is) Elon and ask for this!

keyhere

First Name
Key
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic, KLX250S
Occupation
EE
Country flag
There is a Rivian forum that has a thread on what posters would like Rivian to add to their trucks. Thinking of trailering while looking at this particular thread it came to me that having a strain gauge on the hitch could be potentially valuable. As it is potentially valuable to the CT (and perhaps the Semi too) I thought I'd mention it here. Forgive the wee bit of math. F = m*a. F is the force on the trailer measured by the strain gauge, m is its mass and a the acceleration. When you pull away the tractor pulls the trailer with force F and accelerates by an amount a as measured by the odometer or a separate accelerometer (there is one in your smart phone). The ratio gives an estimate of the mass (gross weight) of the trailer. Knowing the weight makes better range estimation possible as the Telsa algorithm takes elevation changes into account. Knowing gross weight has safety implications and may be helpful in loading. WTH, I'm asking for one strain gauge. Why not ask for a second and have the CT display tongue weight as well?

E = F*x in which E is energy and x is distance traveled. From this we can get the Wh/mi consumed by the trailer which is at the heart of good range prediction. Having information Wh/mi data for the trailer will be as valuable in learning how one's trailer performs under various driving and weather conditions will be as valuable as that Wh/mi for the truck is for learning its performance characteristics.

Somebody Titter or Fleet (or whatever it is) Elon and ask for this!
If it went both ways you could use the strain gauge while braking/going downhill to maximize regen without sacrificing safety. Delaying when the trailer brakes are engaged to get that energy back but not so much that the trailer becomes a runaway train.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
That is
A)An excellent suggestion
B)The basis for a very significant question: how will the braking signal to the trailer be managed if there is no strain gauge?

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
The strain gauge can also measure the aero drag of the trailer at highway speed to use to help estimate range.

But you could also just measure how much current is being used to maintain steady state speed and extrapolate. No additional sensors need.
Sponsored