Neo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne Turbo | Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Professional
Country flag
Now that prices are "uncertain" and if Tesla offers a Quad motor, I'm really starting to think about the Tesla Semi...
I currently have a 20' Toy Hauler conversion that I plan using the CT to pull it with, but now I'm thinking I might upgrade both, go to the Semi and build a new Taj-Ma-Haul on a semi flatbed.
Camping would go out the window, but there are still plenty of places that take large motor homes I could go to. The main reason for Taj-Ma-Haul is to be able to see my mom and kids who are on opposite sides of the country, see our National Parks and work/live remotely.
The Tesla Semi will have much better range and I can fit far more solar panels on a tractor trailer. Currently I have 15x540 watt panels on Taj-Ma-Haul. 5 on the Roof, and 5 on awnings that deploy when stationary. I could easily double or triple that on a tractor trailer.
I could also double or triple my battery storage as well, currently sitting at 112kWatt hours.

I've almost talked myself into this, but I'd love to hear other thoughts...

Cheers,
Neo
Sponsored

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
Now that prices are "uncertain" and if Tesla offers a Quad motor, I'm really starting to think about the Tesla Semi...
I currently have a 20' Toy Hauler conversion that I plan using the CT to pull it with, but now I'm thinking I might upgrade both, go to the Semi and build a new Taj-Ma-Haul on a semi flatbed.
Camping would go out the window, but there are still plenty of places that take large motor homes I could go to. The main reason for Taj-Ma-Haul is to be able to see my mom and kids who are on opposite sides of the country, see our National Parks and work/live remotely.
The Tesla Semi will have much better range and I can fit far more solar panels on a tractor trailer. Currently I have 15x540 watt panels on Taj-Ma-Haul. 5 on the Roof, and 5 on awnings that deploy when stationary. I could easily double or triple that on a tractor trailer.
I could also double or triple my battery storage as well, currently sitting at 112kWatt hours.

I've almost talked myself into this, but I'd love to hear other thoughts...

Cheers,
Neo
I think this is a great idea! Not to diminish your grand design, but you could still get quite the Taj-Ma-Haul with the same platform with slide outs and a retractable penthouse of your own design and still not exceed the space allotment of a standard RV bay. I would love to see what you come up with. If you stayed within the parameters of a motorhome you might even extend your range because you wouldn't be hauling nearly half the payload the semi is capable of.

Reactions: Neo
OP
OP
Neo

Neo

First Name
Neo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional
Country flag
Slide outs are complicated, more than I'm willing to bite off at the moment and Taj-Ma-Haul is 8' 6" wide now and that seems really good - but I like your idea/theme of Taj-Ma-Haulness and expanding that out.
I already have engineering sketches on how to do this *and* preserve my Solar Awnings (SA) and Wrap Around Decks (WAD). The decks protect the SA while in transit, SAs collapse down on each side of Taj-Ma-Haul and then the decks fold up against the Solar Awnings.
I worry about the weather seals on the slide outs to be resilient, especially with the Monsoons we have here in the Sonoran Desert.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Airfare + 5star hotel plus rental car versus Taj Ma Haul plus extra travel time.

You will know what us best for your needs. My needs would be air travel.

Don’t get me wrong, I would love to own a semi but, it would be to add to a collection and not used.

Paradox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Escalade ESV Platinum, CT TriMotor FSD
Country flag
Do you need a CDL license to drive the Semi? I don’t even know if the Semi has air brakes; probably required by the DOT?

OP
OP
Neo

Neo

First Name
Neo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional
Country flag
It does require a CDL.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I was going to channel my inner @John K and suggest you can hotel it a lot of nights for the money a motor Home or fancy trailer will set you back. But then…

Airfare + 5star hotel plus rental car versus Taj Ma Haul plus extra travel time.
He beat me to it.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Don't think you'll have much luck getting a Semi if you order one now, unless you are a fleet operator as well.

If it was me I'd try to do a low profile solid pop top travel trailer for behind the CT. If you need it big you can do seperate bedrooms on the top level and living below. Then operate from a RV park connection to charge things.
Sponsored