Tesla dropping Tri Motor version?

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
With the fresh Quad Motor news I really don’t see a business case to sell a Tri Motor version. Tesla is clearly aiming to be best in class and thus bringing the Cybertruck upmarket.

At launch I predict that Tesla will only offer two versions of the Cybertruck. The Quad Motor will have 4 wheel steering as standard equipment and won’t be offered on the Dual Motor. Buyers who want 4WS will gave to step up to a Quad Motor.

-Quad Motor ($90,990)
-Dual Motor ($60,990)
Sponsored

Last edited:

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
With the fresh Quad Motor news I really don’t see a business case to sell a Tri Motor version. Tesla is clearly aiming to be best in class and thus bringing the Cybertruck upmarket.

At launch I predict that Tesla will only offer two versions of the Cybertruck. The Quad will have 4 wheel steering as standard equipment;

-Quad Motor ($90,990)
-Dual Motor ($60,990).
How about
-Quad Motor 600+ range, 140MPH ($79,900) to make the EV tax break.
-Quad Motor 510 range, 130MPH, software locked ($69,900) to make prior CT3 folks happy. With the extra ~100 miles, +10MPH can be unlocked for an additional $10k down the road if wanted.
-Dual Motor 345+ range, 120MPH ($49,900)
-Dual Motor 255 range, 115MPH software locked ($39,900) to make prior CT1 folks happy. With the extra ~100 miles, +5MPH can be unlocked for an additional $10k down the road if wanted.

Also FSD reservations can be purchased separately with a 12 month lock on the original reservation price. This will help to prevent exceeding the EV price limits.

K.I.S.S. : 2 models to manufacture. Simple. :)

Last edited:

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
How about
-Quad Motor 510 range, 130MPH, software locked ($69,900) to make prior CT3 folks happy. With the extra ~100 miles, +10MPH can be unlocked for an additional $10k down the road if wanted.
-Dual Motor 255 range, 115MPH software locked ($39,900) to make prior CT1 folks happy. With the extra ~100 miles, +5MPH can be unlocked for an additional $10k down the road if wanted.

Also FSD reservations can be purchased separately with a 12 month lock on the original reservation price. This will help to prevent exceeding the EV price limits.

I second this piece of fantasy. ??

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag

At launch I predict that Tesla will only offer two versions of the Cybertruck. The Quad Motor will have 4 wheel steering as standard equipment and won’t be offered on the Dual Motor. Buyers who want 4WS will gave to step up to a Quad Motor.

-Quad Motor ($90,990)
-Dual Motor ($60,990)
hard to say but yes it makes sense to lessen the variants.... my concern is pricing as going from dual to quad in your example is a huuuuuge jump and would result in lost sales. I need the range the trimotor offers and so the dual isn't really an option for me.... and I can afford the Tri @ 69k.....or my 90k in Canadian dollars.

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
How about

That is basically what I have been thinking about the past day. I don't think Tesla will need to raise prices on reservation holders (prior to the recent update on the ordering page). So many people keep talking about inflation and the cost of materials increasing in price. People seem to of forgotten that the whole reason behind the CT is the new manufacturing processes that drive the cost to build down, especially at scale. Part shortages and inflation are temporary and Tesla would have already locked in orders with suppliers long before these recent inflation concerns.

Tesla has been getting fat on the huge margins the other vehicles have been bringing in this past year and will continue to do so in the near future. the CT does not need to have 30% margins like the other products. There will be pains in the first few quarters while bringing CT to scale and that's why they are (what I believe) focusing only on the top trim that will have the least demand as they work out the kinks and wait for 4680s to be produced at scale before offering the more popular Dual Motor trim.

I do not agree that Tesla will allow the reserved prices ($7k and $8k) to be purchased after delivery, even if it means the total price exceeds the Tax credit limit. FSD will be worth much more than the current price in the near future once it gets out of beta. Like what we are seeing with the Model Y reservations that have not been claimed due to owners postponing delivery until after the new year for the EX Tax Credit, Tesa is now canceling those reservations. I think the same will apply if CT owners opt to wait to purchase FSD to get the price under the Tax Credit Limits.

Keep. It. Simple. Stupid.

Richard V.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

-Quad Motor ($90,990)
-Dual Motor ($60,990)
Yes, it make sense to me, Dual motor 4WD, and quad 4WS would be most likely logical options. To reduce production costs. I was just very happy with the one motor WRD at $39.9KUS. However, the way my Tesla stocks are doing I could be getting a bigger truck, although I do not really need it. I do not do trails, and I can take it easy in the winter with extra wait in the box. 4WS would be very cool...

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag

-Quad Motor ($90,990)
-Dual Motor ($60,990)
Charging networks and charging products serve every range that Tesla has, that’s its core business. Think Texan!

-Single Motor is on the FSD roadmap to Robotaxi pastures
-Tri Motor is legendary Tesla powertrain(PIM/PEM) efficiency
-Quad is a new engineered direct-drive power motors for ?

Cybertrucks are the most efficient pickup.
Tesla has powertrain for all customer use-cases.
Variants are engineered to a purpose over models that are designed to segment customers.
Batteries are the means to suit every customers budget

Most frustrating in Quad announcement was the lack of engineering principles over prioritizing production of the most badass BEV first.
Sponsored