CyberTruck TriMotor = Hardcore smack down on Diesel Trucks

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Yeah we are not talking about an economy or mid-range trailer here, lol. Having a motor capable of worth while regen isn't going to be exactly cheap. My best guess is, your better to simply go with the extra motor in the towing vehicle and a larger battery when its an option for you than to put that into a trailer from a cost/benefit position.
Maybe if the same vehicle is always used to pull the trailer.

If there are several towing vehicles that might pull the trailer it might be much cheaper to put in the trailer extra batteries & regen braking capable motor.

Long highway halls won't give you much bang for the buck on a regen trailer that spends most of its time and usage in that scenario.
Highway that is level will give little return but if there are hills or mountains the returns could be significant.
Sponsored

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
Maybe if the same vehicle is always used to pull the trailer.

If there are several towing vehicles that might pull the trailer it might be much cheaper to put in the trailer extra batteries & regen braking capable motor.

Highway that is level will give little return but if there are hills or mountains the returns could be significant.

Very true, but that is narrowing down the market so much to so few use cases that supply and demand would likely dictate a very high cost. I am certainly not saying there is no possible way that there is a benefit, I am just pointing out other options could be more viable for a larger group of people and those options exist now. Well, they exist once the CT actually exists. =)

The big thing is the CT has to actually be able to support a regen capable trailer, I am not sure we will see that at launch? We will soon find out in another 11-14 months. Maybe even "CT update coming soon" lol.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I hope we do. A port like that would open up all sorts of possibilities, such as additional solar or reserve battery capacity for remote trips.

It would make Burning Man into a cinch.

-Crissa

OP
OP
DCL777

DCL777

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD F150
Occupation
Contractor
Country flag
150-250-350+ Kw of battery storage built in the trailer- so one can charge their toys and the CT-a bunk bed, room for solar panels to be stored, room for the quad, an electric motorcycle and electric skidoo
Solar pannels on the roof of the trailer. A 33' toy hauler will have a large capacity for PV.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
A 33' toy hauler will have a large capacity for PV.
Large capacity as in surface area or large capacity as in production power?

I'm sure someone with more experience could bang out the correct power production numbers faster and more correctly. In the meantime, I'm under the impression that charging from solar panels to car would 7 to 10kW/day (assuming 6 panels, you could go 10-12 on a 33' toy). [edit to add: I see anywhere from 250W to 1-1.5kW/day for a panel. Can someone clarify what the theoretical perfect 33'x8' roof with angle might get in a day?] How many miles do you think you'll actually get for a good day in the sun? How much are you willing to pay for that? How much of a pain in the ass are you willing to setup?

For all the hacky, imagine the possibilities, hobby, independent fun, I'd rather have a PowerWall in the front of the trailer.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
33' by 102" can hold 15-16 345w panels.

15*300W = 4.500kWh
4.5kW*5hrs = 22.5Wh
22.5kWh*3miles per kWh = 67mi

That's just flat on the top, nothing on the truck or folded out like camping.

The average US household uses just under 30kWh/day for everything.

-Crissa
Sponsored