Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
Plenty of sunlight in the outback but no petrol stations..
That is quite true, however, all that sunlight is quite trivial at the moment, for what little can be captured.
Perhaps there’s someone who will be willing to sit around for the whole entire day just to collect maybe 15 miles of charge from the sunlight, if they happen to be out there in summer.

However the vast majority would say, phuck that for a joke !

There’s only 2000 Tesla charging locations (average 8 charges per location) located on the entire planet.

And a small fraction of those are in Victoria Australia.

(Any other charging option also becomes impractical, for convenient location and time to charge)

But there’s always a petrol station in the last little town you go through on your way to and from civilisation, where one can fuel up in 10 minutes.

So if perchance they used a full tank to get to the last town before getting to the playground, and full tank to get back from the play ground, they would pretty much have a full tank to use out in the playground.

Much more limiting, and much more planning needed to use an EV.

I’m prepared to live with that for the Cybertruck, or, rather I’m prepared to leave it at home on some specific trips.

But perhaps I’m a pussy, and not like some of the die hard people here, who if things get a little difficult, will not hesitate to amputate their own arm, or drink their own piss, or eat one their travelling companions !

But for anyone else thinking of taking up an invitation to go bush bashing in their buddies Cybertruck, I would think twice before answering.
At least unless there’s another friend coming along who can’t run as fast as you ;) . . . . oh and make sure he doesn't weigh too much either,
you don't want him to be reducing your driving range too.
Sponsored

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
Bronco marketing looks great. But Bronco seems kind of junky compared to Cybertruck... Bronco styling is the same as everything else, nothing groundbreaking. It's exactly what you'd guess it would be: Neat off-the-shelf features in a compact SUV with 1960s design theme. I'm sure the focus groups loved it. No new tech. No bulletproof exoskeleton. No armor glass. No auto pilot. No supercar acceleration. Lots of poetic marketing speak, cool CGI, horses, mountains...

I'm sure it's a good vehicle by typical legacy auto standards... Compared to Tesla? well, not so much.
The Bronco is the perfect vehicle to get while waiting for your Cybertruck. Especially if they make a hybrid model. Im someting like 250k in line for a CT, so I dont expect to get mine for a few years. A Bronco in the garage would tide me over nicely. ?

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
I think Ford nailed the new Bronco. It’s a true off-road capable rig right off the showroom floor. Jeep has had this category to themselves until now so it’s great to see some competition. FCA will be fighting back with a V8 Wrangler option sometime in 2021. They have secretly built 30 V8 concepts and just need to figure out how to pass IIHS crash testing. The new Bronco will also incorporate aluminum panels for the hood, doors, fenders and rear swing gate to help lighten the vehicle. Ford invested $1 billion dollars on the effort.

If Ford offered a hybrid version right out of the box it would be tempting as I feel this is the best mix for real off-road adventuring. I think taking the Cybertruck off-road presents two inherit challenges. Bulk and range anxiety. Unlike an ICE vehicle you cant strap gas cans inside of the vault of your CT to get extra juice when your out in the boonies. Also, the CT’s full size dimensions will limit where you can take it off-road unless your driving in the desert.

A6508EF4-CDAE-40B2-91EB-31F1961D0346.jpeg

So why can’t you strap some extra cans of electricity to your CT?
I think thats a great idea. Hopefully someone will run with that as an aftermarket option. Wont be any more hazardous than a couple of cans of gasoline. ?

Or how about some nice solar panels to lay out on the ground? Or both?

Agree on the hybrid Bronco. if they sell one of those Im buying!

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Jeep is supposed to be releasing their diesel for the 21 model year, with the hybrid available mid-year (but the hybrid is a joke from the specs I last saw/remember).

When motor vehicles became a thing, people could not believe that someone would give up their very reliable horse for a vehicle that you had to search around and find a pharmacy that might carry your fuel.. Now motor vehicles dominate personal transportation... but there are still plenty of horses in the world.

Things will change over time. If I was rich and in Australia, I would be buying plots of land, put up solar panels, battery packs, and have a 'recharging' station where ever I think would be a good location. Even if there is no grid, I could still run this business... (and get internet access from StarLink?)

But I am not rich nor in Australia.

Things will change.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Jeep is supposed to be releasing their diesel for the 21 model year, with the hybrid available mid-year (but the hybrid is a joke from the specs I last saw/remember).

When motor vehicles became a thing, people could not believe that someone would give up their very reliable horse for a vehicle that you had to search around and find a pharmacy that might carry your fuel.. Now motor vehicles dominate personal transportation... but there are still plenty of horses in the world.

Things will change over time. If I was rich and in Australia, I would be buying plots of land, put up solar panels, battery packs, and have a 'recharging' station where ever I think would be a good location. Even if there is no grid, I could still run this business... (and get internet access from StarLink?)

But I am not rich nor in Australia.

Things will change.
That is the beauty of EV charging. It's could be all automated. In theory it could be out in the middle of nowhere, except the need for bathrooms that need to be clean. So any business out in the middle of nowhere could have a Charging station with little maintenance required. And all the Cybertruckers would stop there for supplies and a fill-up.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I briefly considered the Bronco but it’s an SUV, not a pickup. I want one because I think it’s cool but would kick myself when the Tesla e-mail finally arrives asking me to configure my Cybertruck for production.

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
Here's something interesting and well explained.

I'm really hoping the Cybertruck is going to have an answer to this Bronco advantage !

40,000 Nm of Wheel Torque looks to be a significant advantage over the Cybertruck.
It's puts to shame the 10,000 Nm the Roadster has, and with that the Roadster hits 0-60 Mph in 1.9 sec ! The Bronco must warp speed into another dimension ;)

And a crawler gear or mode of some description would be nice to have on the Cybertruck too.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
40,000 Nm of Wheel Torque looks to be a significant advantage over the Cybertruck.
If the Cybertruck weighs 3000 kg, can do 0 - 60 in 2.9 sec (0.94g) and has 50 cm radius wheels it can deliver 3000*.94*9.8/.5 = 55,272 N-m to the wheels.

[Edit] This is wrong. I divided where I should have multiplied. See below.

Last edited:

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
I make it to be 10,583 Nm as I’m estimating the tri motor will weigh around 2,600 kg,
but even at the 3000 kg figure you use, I come up with 12,211 Nm.

I think the Bronco still has the advantage by a long way at 40,000 Nm

( the Goodyear Wrangler MTR 315/70R17 has a 34.7 inch diameter
Equals 0.8831 metre and radius = .4415 m, not .5 m )

( Acceleration : .94 g’s I believe needs to be converted to 9.218251 meters per second squared )

Force = Mass x Acceleration

= 2600 kg x 9.218251 ms2.
= 23,967.45 N

= 3000 kg x 9.218251 ms2
= 27,654.75 N

Torque = Force x Radius

= 23,967.45 N x .44155 m.
= 10,583 Nm

= 27,654.75 N x .44155 m
= 12,211 Nm

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I make it to be 10,583 Nm as I’m estimating the tri motor will weigh around 2,600 kg,
The current X weighs about that so I can't see the CT, with nearly twice the battery weighing that little but maybe'

( Acceleration : .94 g’s I believe needs to be converted to 9.218251 meters per second squared )
Thats the 0.94*9.8 factor in my formula.

Torque = Force x Radius
Indeed it does. So why did I divide when I should have multiplied? Who knows? I sure don't.

Anyway, the correct formula, using the weight, wheel size and acceleration I used before is 3000*.94*9.8*.5 = 13818 N-m. Sorry about that folks!

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag

I think the Bronco still has the advantage by a long way at 40,000 Nm

( the Goodyear Wrangler MTR 315/70R17 has a 34.7 inch diameter
Equals 0.8831 metre and radius = .4415 m, not .5 m )

Force = Mass x Acceleration

= 2600 kg x 9.218251 ms2.
= 23,967.45 N

= 3000 kg x 9.218251 ms2
= 27,654.75 N

Torque = Force x Radius

= 23,967.45 N x .44155 m.
= 10,583 Nm

= 27,654.75 N x .44155 m
= 12,211 Nm
Don't forget that an ICE motor doesn't have peak power / torque until some RPM is reached. Electric motors have a very even power curve.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Towing capacity of only 3500lbs?! No thanks....
The CyberTruck has a cargo capacity of 3,500 lbs. Towing capacity varies based on the # of motors.

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
I think Ford knocked it out of the park appealing to a crowd that likes the idea of a Jeep but wants something different. . . . . .

while a Bronco looks to do decent at that but more "baja light" and trail style driving. . . . . . .

If that open air feel wins people over for the Bronco like it does for Jeeps, then I'm curious what the offroad enthusiast reception will be for the electric hummer.
While I still prefer the shape of the Cybertruck, and that brilliant Exoskeleton, a number of functional attributes of the Hummer look very enticing, if not overwhelmingly compelling.

Shorter length
Shorter wheelbase.
Pickup functionality looks to interchangeably become and SUV.
Removable glass roof above front passengers
15,592 Nm vs Cybertruck Tri Motor at approx. 11,000 Nm

If the rumoured 400 mile range is true, and the price is similar to the Dual Motor Cybertruck, It may be enough to sway me.
(The bonus will be 0-60 in 3.0 sec, will mean Tri Motor acceleration fro Dual Motor price)

P.S.

And production starts in fall of 2021 in an existing factory, that looks to beat out the Cybertruck start date.
I'm about 250,000th in the Cybertruck cue, I may take the opportunity and jump the cue a little.

Especially as the Zombie apocalypse is fast approaching, there's a weird orange brain dead creature that drinks and injects itself with bleach and other poison and spews verbal bile, that's scaring people in the street.

Yep, I just convinced myself, one Hummer reservation coming right up.

Elon, its been 7 months where is the confirmation of the International spec'd Cybertruck ?

Deleted member 3316

That is quite true, however, all that sunlight is quite trivial at the moment, for what little can be captured.
Perhaps there’s someone who will be willing to sit around for the whole entire day just to collect maybe 15 miles of charge from the sunlight, if they happen to be out there in summer.

However the vast majority would say, phuck that for a joke !

There’s only 2000 Tesla charging locations (average 8 charges per location) located on the entire planet.

And a small fraction of those are in Victoria Australia.

(Any other charging option also becomes impractical, for convenient location and time to charge)

But there’s always a petrol station in the last little town you go through on your way to and from civilisation, where one can fuel up in 10 minutes.

So if perchance they used a full tank to get to the last town before getting to the playground, and full tank to get back from the play ground, they would pretty much have a full tank to use out in the playground.

Much more limiting, and much more planning needed to use an EV.

I’m prepared to live with that for the Cybertruck, or, rather I’m prepared to leave it at home on some specific trips.

But perhaps I’m a pussy, and not like some of the die hard people here, who if things get a little difficult, will not hesitate to amputate their own arm, or drink their own piss, or eat one their travelling companions !

But for anyone else thinking of taking up an invitation to go bush bashing in their buddies Cybertruck, I would think twice before answering.
At least unless there’s another friend coming along who can’t run as fast as you ;) . . . . oh and make sure he doesn't weigh too much either,
you don't want him to be reducing your driving range too.
You should check out plug share in Australia... I shows quite a few Non Tesla Charging stations and more are coming this year. There are plenty of caravan parks up the Gippsland coast and destination chargers a plenty in the high country.
Sponsored