Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I think the opposite, the design areas will be flooded with interest. Overwhelmed.

Franz had that ad where he turns around, looked at what was likely a drawing, and said 'who did this'?

I think it's more likely that someone hired for logistics has moved into design. My architect sister is also a talented artist.

I don't know any artists who do engineering on the side.

It is likely a design person will stick to design.

It is possible Tesla just wants design people cross pollinating around the place, but in this instance, I feel they are there for the plethora of new products coming.
Sponsored

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
From what I understand at Tesla, there probably isnā€™t a ā€œCybertruck Design Teamā€. In factā€¦ there likely arenā€™t a ton of ā€œdesignersā€. They have a list of critical tasks, and when you show up for work, you pick which task you want to work on. If there is no design work on one of the critical tasks, you might end up developing software or assembling a prototype.

Itā€™s likely right now there are a lot of people in Texas who are working on the battery lineā€¦ even designers.
This has that that ring of truth.

Fisker is Designer0
Franz Designer1
Designer2ā€“n are equivalent to architectural engineers responsible for designing around the architecture. Thatā€™s Design Build proforma.

I worked for Browning Arms when John Val Browning contracted out(offshored) gunwork overseas. The Imperial measures and specs had to be translated to metric machining equipment and tools there. Of course all of the parts would fit butvtolerances were so loose all-of-it went to scrap, As did JVB role as President of Browning. It was acquired by Fabrique Nationale. Thatā€™s what designers insure against.

IDK, if Teslas built in GDR and CHN are 100% interchangeable part-for-part after Drive units with USA Teslas.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
From what I understand at Tesla, there probably isnā€™t a ā€œCybertruck Design Teamā€. In factā€¦ there likely arenā€™t a ton of ā€œdesignersā€. They have a list of critical tasks, and when you show up for work, you pick which task you want to work on. If there is no design work on one of the critical tasks, you might end up developing software or assembling a prototype.

Itā€™s likely right now there are a lot of people in Texas who are working on the battery lineā€¦ even designers.
Yeah, this is the way Tesla is like a software company. Sure, there are people who are better at specific tasks than others, but for the most part, everyone always needs help and things always need debugging that are not specialized.

So like my spouse, who specialized in network communication at the bit level (but she went to school to be an animator) works on the database and the ui and now animation tools - it's it's all messaging in some way. She was hired to do UX and ended up buiding some repairs to the database which increase its accuracy by orders of magnitude. She's written AI to handle moderation and installed the requirements for the DMCA compliance. She's rewritten code to bring sections up to date and then it was all hands to turn the company's major fifteen year old product into a cloud service. (Which they succeeded, and she celebrated by creating a project which turns a web cam into a puppeteering tool for user's avatars.

Sometimes she does what she wants, sometimes she does what's needed. Tho that seems most of the time anymore...

-Crissa

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
Here we are a couple of months later and Tesla is hiring for a CNC engineer for Cybertruck, sounds like my source was right on with DMG MORI machine being for CT production!

Tesla Cybertruck DMG MORI machine @ Giga Austin is for Cybertruck! 1668216483463

Tesla Cybertruck DMG MORI machine @ Giga Austin is for Cybertruck! 1668217038857

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Here we are a couple of months later and Tesla is hiring for a CNC engineer for Cybertruck, sounds like my source was right on with DMG MORI machine being for CT production!

1668216483463.jpeg

1668217038857.jpeg
Where does it say CNC knowledge is for that machine? They must have a ā€˜millionā€™ CNC machines not 1 or 2. You might be right, I just donā€™t see the causal link.

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag
Where does it say CNC knowledge is for that machine? They must have a ā€˜millionā€™ CNC machines not 1 or 2. You might be right, I just donā€™t see the causal link.
Specifically the 5 axis, which is precisely what the DMG machine are. Those are not cnc table machines.

First Name
Stranger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Ford Super Duty
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
That is going to be a hard position to fill. Siemens controls (especially 5 axis) are pretty rare, and most programmers are not BA/BS engineers who can (or will) write documentation. Another thing is most cnc automotive work has moved to the ultra fast 30 taper Brother or Fanuc Robodrill style machines for better ROI, automotive quantity 5 axis production work does not make a lot of sense from a cost perspective.

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag
That is going to be a hard position to fill. Siemens controls (especially 5 axis) are pretty rare, and most programmers are not BA/BS engineers who can (or will) write documentation. Another thing is most cnc automotive work has moved to the ultra fast 30 taper Brother or Fanuc Robodrill style machines for better ROI, automotive quantity 5 axis production work does not make a lot of sense from a cost perspective.
Sounds like you should apple. Plz kindly go make spaceship trucks for us. Publish documentation on her too!

First Name
Stranger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Ford Super Duty
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
Sounds like you should apple. Plz kindly go make spaceship trucks for us. Publish documentation on her too!
I am too old to learn 5 axis and I have my own place where we make high end cosmetic parts for consumer electronics and sporting goods. I ordered a CT because, if they do it right, it can be a very elegant solution in the evolution of trucks. I just hope that they have enough "real" truck users on the design team that they don't pull a Tim Cook and go exclusively for design over function (you don't need a real USB port on your MB air!). Trucks are tools and don't have to look like they belong in the MOMA. Give us heavy duty tie downs in the back, doors that are easy to get in and out of, a back seat area that is tough enough for dogs (and even kids) to ride in, windshield wipers that won't be eaten by the car wash, and some dry storage that you can get at without having to empty the truck bed.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
From what I understand, Tesla does not have a strict requirement for degrees. But they will want someone who is thorough. People are expected to switch tasks and part of effectively switching tasks is leaving enough documentation behind that the next person can fill your shoes without much trouble.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Most of the time employers put down a laundry list of requirements whether they need them or not so it is hard to tell. I have almost never seen a BS that would do documentation but that is a separate issue.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
From what I understand, Tesla does not have a strict requirement for degrees. But they will want someone who is thorough. People are expected to switch tasks and part of effectively switching tasks is leaving enough documentation behind that the next person can fill your shoes without much trouble.
I watched Part 2 of Best In Teslaā€™s interview with Joe Justice and what I found interesting was his description of how the Tesla work environment is. It follows what you say and is ā€˜veryā€™ progressive.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Specifically the 5 axis, which is precisely what the DMG machine are. Those are not cnc table machines.
Ok, I admit that I do not know what a 5-axis CNC machine is. If by axis we are adding rotation in Y and Z then ok. Otherwise no.
Sponsored

Last edited: