Dont order! Put the press to Tesla to drop Price!

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
in 2022, Ford sold 15,617 lightnings and Rivian sold 20,332 electric trucks. This is the annual demand for 80-100 k electric trucks (apparently there are lots of lightnings sitting on lots, they are getting discounted and cutting back on production)

Once the CT hype dies down in about a couple of months, this is the current market for electric trucks.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/ford-f150-lightning-sales-december-51672932657
The size of the market for expensive trucks is dependent upon what you get for your money. Just as the Model 3 greatly expanded the size of the premium sedan market, so will Cybertruck greatly expand the market for trucks costing $60K or more. I felt the F-150 Lightning was a particularly poor value, mostly because I already have an F-150 and I hate the way it drives (which is largely due to it's body on frame contruction). I would pay a lot more for a better truck and so would a lot of other people who are not cash constrained.

Also, the sales of expensive electric trucks, the R1T and F-150 Lightning, would have been much higher at the published prices, probably 3-4 times higher, had production been greater. There was an issue with supply which caused the real prices and/or wait times to go up which dampened demand. People underestimate how difficult volume production is. 20K electric trucks in one year might not sound like a lot for the second year of production but try telling that to RJ Scaringe!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Space monkey

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fat Cat
Occupation
Philosopher
Country flag
This guy said one thing, did another. 30k more?!!! Frustrated? Yep. What's 2, 3 months wait. Make them sweat! We can make that price drop by an epic massive move. DONT ORDER!!! It's what needs to be done. Right now can't even order what we want. Pressed to buy the 99k Foundation? No way. Only a few will. 1k only? Ha, they'll keep pushing that one til the cows dried up and dead. Let's do this!!! call me crazy or whatever you want...go....
Edit
I'm %100 with you. I can make it work for 80 or 100, but I can also wait until they drop prices. The fact that the foundation series order page is still live makes me wonder about demand at higher prices.

Last edited:

DaveDUtah

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Promaster,Prius,Odyssey,Corolla. ~CyberTrk,Aptera.
Country flag
This will all happen naturally over the next 2-3 years. Those who are insanely excited about the truck will pay any price. But those will run out fast. As demand settles down and production gears up to the full 10,000 units per month, it will take a few years to work through the production backlog. Then, depending on the economy, Tesla will have the production process refined and efficient and will still be able to make a handsome profit while deeply discounting the truck to draw in the less enthusiastic buyers.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thinking that a multibillion dollar company is gonna be affected by even a 100 people choosing not to buy, then lower pricing as a result is just naive.
True, the effect would be small, even assuming you could get a somewhat successful movement together. People need to look at their own finances and make the right decision for themselves!

Last edited:

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm %100 with you. I can make it work for 80 or 100, but I can also wait until they are forced to drop price. The average price of a truck I believe is around 30-40? I'm pretty sure those buying $80k+ trucks are a pretty small percentage of buyers. Those will run out soon enough. I wonder if all the early buyers will wine about price drops like the model S people did.
The average transaction price for a truck in America, last time I checked, was a touch over $66,000! That doesn't include taxes and registration!

Zapharus

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 '22, Element '11, DM Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
This guy said one thing, did another. 30k more?!!! Frustrated? Yep. What's 2, 3 months wait. Make them sweat! We can make that price drop by an epic massive move. DONT ORDER!!! It's what needs to be done. Right now can't even order what we want. Pressed to buy the 99k Foundation? No way. Only a few will. 1k only? Ha, they'll keep pushing that one til the cows dried up and dead. Let's do this!!! call me crazy or whatever you want...go....
Bruh! There are people selling their Tesla accounts on eBay, the account used to reserve the CT, which have already been sent the invitation to purchase the Founders Edition and they are selling for $4k USD and at times even as high at $20k….. just for the reservation, not the truck.

The hype is real and people want to get their hands on it, I highly doubt people will hold off on buying just to make Tesla drop the price.

Space monkey

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fat Cat
Occupation
Philosopher
Country flag
The average transaction price for a truck in America, last time I checked, was a touch over $66,000! That doesn't include taxes and registration!
Sure enough, I stand corrected, I think my point is still valid though.

Art138

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP,Ferrari Pista,Ford GT & CYBERBEAST ordered
Country flag
This will all happen naturally over the next 2-3 years. Those who are insanely excited about the truck will pay any price. But those will run out fast. As demand settles down and production gears up to the full 10,000 units per month, it will take a few years to work through the production backlog. Then, depending on the economy, Tesla will have the production process refined and efficient and will still be able to make a handsome profit while deeply discounting the truck to draw in the less enthusiastic buyers.
Or instead of cutting prices remodel with incentives as per this article:
https://www.barrons.com/articles/te...ce-721f5d9c?reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

Rozonoe

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla M3 LR75, Cybertruck Dual FSD
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
This guy said one thing, did the other. After 4 years since the original tentative price, this was a estimate of what it was going to cost. You forget to mention that all the new Technology that went in the CT afterward, was a lot more than what was stated at launch. 800Volt architecture, 48 volt, drive by wire, 17" of ground clearance & so on. If you add inflation in last 4 years, not that bad of pricing.

Rozonoe

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
Supply and demand is a terrible force to recond with; demand will be strong for the foreseeable future particularly if they expand to other countries (except Europe).
Why not Europe?

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why not Europe?
People who aren't thinking clearly, or who are threatened economically by the existence of Cybertruck, claim it's too dangerous to be approved for sale in Europe.

I think the way you protect pedestrians is by not impacting them with a steel truck, not by making the front of trucks pillow soft. Tesla has a superior emergency braking feature and pedestrian recognition/avoidance and this is proven in European testing by safety agencies there. So, IMO, there is no way Cybertruck will not come to Europe, given enough time.

It's just more anti-EV silliness.

Rozonoe

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
I'm %100 with you. I can make it work for 80 or 100, but I can also wait until they are forced to drop price. The average price of a truck I believe is around 30-40? I'm pretty sure those buying $80k+ trucks are a pretty small percentage of buyers. Those will run out soon enough. I wonder if all the early buyers will wine about price drops like the model S people did.
Average price of a truck is much more than what you are stating.
Sponsored