2Tri21

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt. Ford Excursion
Country flag
60k (dual motor+ttl+autonomous driving) will be double what I paid for any vehicle I have ever owned. This is the cost of a small home where I live. I expect this vehicle to live long past the 8 years of battery warranty or the purchase will not be worth it to me. At first I thought wow a million mile battery with motors that last a million miles, this is a no brainer. The fuel savings and maintenance will pay for it over the course of many years. But when things seem to good to be true they usually are. But Tesla is different right???
Sponsored

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
With the experience Tesla has gained since they started, their partnership with scientists and their acquisitions of other companies have let them gain an edge. With the work they are doing on the Semi is pushing the bounds of what is possible. No one can say for sure that the CT will last for 1 million miles, however no ICE vehicle is designed to do this. I get 5-6 years out of an ICE before I need to replace it. Funny how it works that things start going after I finish paying for the vehicle. I am willing to try something different.

OP
OP

2Tri21

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt. Ford Excursion
Country flag
With the experience Tesla has gained since they started, their partnership with scientists and their acquisitions of other companies have let them gain an edge. With the work they are doing on the Semi is pushing the bounds of what is possible. No one can say for sure that the CT will last for 1 million miles, however no ICE vehicle is designed to do this. I get 5-6 years out of an ICE before I need to replace it. Funny how it works that things start going after I finish paying for the vehicle. I am willing to try something different.
I have a 20 year old excursion with a diesel (7.3) that is still running strong. Yes there is lots of maintenance but I would drive it cross country today.
I don't expect it to really last 1 million miles, but is 500k too much to ask for? Lots of examples of diesel trucks with 500+k.

First Name
Patric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XFR, Toyota RAV4
Occupation
Healthcare
Country flag
60k (dual motor+ttl+autonomous driving) will be double what I paid for any vehicle I have ever owned. This is the cost of a small home where I live. I expect this vehicle to live long past the 8 years of battery warranty or the purchase will not be worth it to me. At first I thought wow a million mile battery with motors that last a million miles, this is a no brainer. The fuel savings and maintenance will pay for it over the course of many years. But when things seem to good to be true they usually are. But Tesla is different right???
First off, Tesla's are different, but they are still mechanical things and they will need maintenance and repairs. Don't go into the purchase thinking they are magical and maintenance free. There are lots of videos out there on the long term reliability of Tesla's, check out Tesloop, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClxGKZcT0Jh4HQVgOPNtVXw they are a ride/rental service that use Tesla's to take people from LA to Vegas. They post about their repair experience and battery life in heavy use scenarios.

I'm with you on the high initial cost of a Tesla, but the lower cost of ownership makes it easier to swallow. Ben Sullins at Teslanomics has a good video on cost of ownership vs an F-150 . I used to sell cars both for a huge national dealer and as an independent, the price of cars has risen to the point that anything short of a "loss leader" is going to put you into a upper $30-40k car new. Trucks are even worse! Ford/Chevy/Ram make a $30k "work truck" variant, but they are very stripped down, and have a limited resale value as well.
Sponsored