Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
You do not need holders or screws. I guess it is a monochrome display there, where license plate should be. DMV will program them via CT computer and they will appear on this display. Take a closer look at this area and you will see what i am talking about. It already displays CYBRTRK with state and registration dates
There is a company that makes a digital plate and it is currently black and white, so the technology is there (I have seen their vehicle many times), so that is legal and it is at least possible that that is going on here as you say.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
You do not need holders or screws. I guess it is a monochrome display there, where license plate should be. DMV will program them via CT computer and they will appear on this display. Take a closer look at this area and you will see what i am talking about. It already displays CYBRTRK with state and registration dates
Since it is shown lit up I am sure this is what is going on. There is a digital license plate company here (https://www.reviver.com/) that has a pricey version of this that looks pretty much just like the CT plate shown. Most of their features are already in every Tesla so maybe a Tesla is building their own???

morgantown

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick Lacrosse, Chevy Silverado
Occupation
HR
Country flag
Since it is shown lit up I am sure this is what is going on. There is a digital license plate company here (https://www.reviver.com/) that has a pricey version of this that looks pretty much just like the CT plate shown. Most of their features are already in every Tesla so maybe a Tesla is building their own???
Digital license plates have been around in California for a couple years.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...digital-license-plates-roll-out-in-california

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...digital-license-plates-roll-out-in-california
Yes I know that (and even beyond California) but apart from the one on the company’s car I have never seen one and I think the reason is the huge price tag and the monthly fee. Who would pay that kind of money for something they get for free? Have you seen any from anyone but them? But if Tesla can get the displays and work with the Secretary of States office and the DMV then maybe it could be cost effective on the CT. That is all I am saying.

Deleted member 5322

I would take them, but if I pay one time fee, not a subscription. It does not make any sense to pay for a subscription if I already have my licence plates for free :)

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
I would take them, but if I pay one time fee, not a subscription. It does not make any sense to pay for a subscription if I already have my licence plates for free :)
Yearly registration on 70K+ truck will big enough already.

Let’s not forget the California weight tax, was $600/year on my ram at 6000 lbs.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The last I saw they were selling for $700 plus $20/month. What one-time charge would be reasonable to you? And judging by the photo with the twin cameras I am not sure we will have a choice.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
With depth perception from two cameras and auto pilot it should be able to perfectly back a ball hitch under the tongue of your trailer. No inching yourself back, getting out to check, get back in and inch back (oops turned the wheel the wrong way, let me fix that, oops too far), getting out to check again. The cybertruck self hitching feature, fully automated when paired with a Tesla trailer?
Those days are long past. Even my 2013 F-350 had a backup camera... Plus, you could hit the little "+" button and it would basically look straight down at the ball. It was SUPER easy to line up a trailer. There is simply no way that Tesla would use something less capable than a 7 year old truck...

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag

How are those better than a simple plate? Is it worth paying $120 a year so that I don't have to put a sticker on my plate one time per year? Holy crap, a person could make a fortune there.

"Yes, ma'am. Our sticker technician will be there tomorrow between 8 and 12 to place your sticker. It's okay if you can't figure out how to open the envelope. Our technician will bring the necessary tools. There's no reason to be concerned."
"Oh, thank you. I didn't know what I was going to do. I mean, it's a sticker. Do people really know how to do these things for themselves?"
"Ma'am, it CAN be done by the vehicle owner but we offer a guarantee. Be thankful that you only pay us $100 to perform this life-altering service."

Seriously, you get a renewal notice in the mail. Go to the website, pay the fee, receive a sticker. Here's the tricky part: Peel the backing off the sticker and stick it on top of the previous sticker. Don't be fooled into trying to stick it on a tire or on a windshield wiper blade. That sticker goes right their on your plate(s).

Okay, this unnecessary item made me laugh... and then made me try to figure out why in the heck there's a subscription service... Luckily, we can always see where our Tesla's are and even what speed they are moving.

Too funny.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
You make fun of the idea but they are really pretty cool, and if it is baked into the price of the truck (since we see no holes to mount a traditional plate that wouldn’t cover the cameras) it would be great. Otherwise it has to be pretty cheap. The company that sells them is offering many features that are standard on all a Tesla’s so there would be no point in anything but the screen itself. If Tesla charged $100-$200 one time fee it would be worth it.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Seriously, you get a renewal notice in the mail.
And why do we still have to get it in the mail (rather than email, text msg, etc).

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
And why do we still have to get it in the mail (rather than email, text msg, etc).
Maybe he was being generic, since getting informed of anything these days can take several forms. I get my notices by email and snail mail.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Maybe he was being generic, since getting informed of anything these days can take several forms. I get my notices by email and snail mail.
Mine all come in the mail..... several months before they're actually due.