Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
There are other options for where the tonneau could go instead of down into floor of the bed.

For instance, the tonneau could proceed into the cabin right below the skylight. To fully retract there it might need to bend back down a bit into the front windshield where the windshield is darkened. I don’t have measurements so it might not even need to go that far.

But this solution would keep it out of the way at all times. If Elon still wants to see through, the tonneau would need to be a light enough color to still let some light through. Since the roof never opens it shouldn’t be too much of a hindrance to the enjoyment of the passengers. And the tonneau should typically be closed anyway for better range.
Sponsored

EasternSP

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Perhaps roll it up above the rear window, outside the cab, under the roof.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
With the vault open (tonneau retracted) there is no reason the back seat (and bed wall) could not be folded down. But that would just be making your truck into a convertible.

With the vault closed, it's definitely tricker, but not impossible. For instance, I envision a tonneau that has a cutout in the middle where it meets the rear seats, and the center of the seats can open in alignment with the cutout. Of course, at that point, the pass-thru becomes a guillotine lol
You need to check out the diagram in the patent. That cover in retracted position shows it stores in front of the opening. Thus, it would not make sense to be able to fold the back wall down. In my opinion if it can’t fold down when the cover is open, then there is no point to allow the back wall to fold down when the tonneau cover is closed either.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
The window sliding down and being able to reach back into the bed would be good enough for me. Skinny folks and kids could crawl through too with window down for covert camping in vault.
I agree, that window rolling down would be a huge plus and does seem possible with tonneau retracted

CyberBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Dodge Ram 3500, 2011 Chevy Volt
Occupation
Farrier
Country flag
From the latest track footage, I am thinking they are moving to a one piece cover located in the roof. That would make a pass-through easier to work.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
There are other options for where the tonneau could go instead of down into floor of the bed.

For instance, the tonneau could proceed into the cabin right below the skylight. To fully retract there it might need to bend back down a bit into the front windshield where the windshield is darkened. I don’t have measurements so it might not even need to go that far.

But this solution would keep it out of the way at all times. If Elon still wants to see through, the tonneau would need to be a light enough color to still let some light through. Since the roof never opens it shouldn’t be too much of a hindrance to the enjoyment of the passengers. And the tonneau should typically be closed anyway for better range.
It’s not going under the skylight. I was hoping for the same but the roof tapers probably 6” on each side toward the peak and you can tell from the top view that the cover wouldn’t fit. I think it will be per the patent and roll up under the floor.
Sponsored