Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I travel with bikes a lot and most of the time they are not in use. In case of EVs, loss of range will be added to lack of security if Vault is open. Of course we most likely be able to flip up the back seat like most trucks and take the front wheel off and stand up two bikes on the floor of back seat but I much rather keep the interior squeaky clean if I can.
Sponsored

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
i will sketch something crude to see if it sparks ideas. Not his week.

Not knowing the bike dimensions and the inner dimension of the vault, I don’t know if the vault will close.

ProfessorRon

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Kia Forte, 2000 Dodge Dakota 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’m thinking of getting an electric scooter that will go in the vault or the ezraider which has a foldable handlebar. Drive it right inside and still close the vault.

OP
OP
Diehard

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OP
OP
Diehard

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m thinking of getting an electric scooter that will go in the vault or the ezraider which has a foldable handlebar. Drive it right inside and still close the vault.
All sound like fun options. Anything that allows you to keep them in the vault and close it, will help you use it more often. For me larger wheels is attractive because if the flexibility it offers on the types of surfaces I can go on comfortably but larger often means less portable. Sondors smart step is a compromise. It is full size but foldable. It’s range and power is more modest Than their mid-drive selection but it probably will fit folded and you can take a break and charge it in CT.

OP
OP
Diehard

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hmmm… you Could have spouse sit 8n the vault and load bike in the back row.

Bad advice, forget it was mentioned
It is not a bad advice because it could put me in divorce court. It is bad because there is no conflict. With three seats up front, how do you justify putting your wife in the vault? I want to hear that story.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
It is not a bad advice because it could put me in divorce court. It is bad because there is no conflict. With three seats up front, how do you justify putting your wife in the vault? I want to hear that story.
I would use lax kegal exercises… oh no, you are trying to entrap me.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'm looking at the tailgate and wondering if its' too think for a tailgate pad. Also, Ebikes are a bit heavy for that and often the batteries don't leave enough room between the downtube and the fork. Just a weird fit.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Because I want the truck to go 480 miles on a charge and leaving the vault open is a pretty big hit to range.

Also, when I go into the pub after a ride I want to know my bike is still there when I return.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Two bikes.

Do you think I could charge while the truck is moving and motors using the battery?>

I think I may have to consider leaning the bikes as you suggested but since they are heavy (with batteries in) the solution have to be robust to handle bumps without damage.
Roadbike rider 30+ yrs., if a bike doesn’t disassemble easy, fast and rebuild just as quick — its a NoGo!

Spend on breakdown. I’ve owned both and ended not liking the hassle of hauling the bike that was a PITA to break and rebuild.