Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/electric-ford-f-150-powered-by-gasoline-patent-shows-how-its-possible

Electric Ford F-150 powered by gasoline? Patent shows how it’s possible
Portable generator could fit in the bed
By Gary Gastelu | Fox News

2021 Ford F-150 revealed
The all-new Ford F-150 is loaded with new features, including hybrid power, built-in generators and sleeper seats.
Ford’s upcoming electric F-150 may get some of its power from an unlikely source: Gasoline.

Tesla Cybertruck Electric Ford F-150 powered by gasoline? Patent shows how it’s possible GENERATOR-1

The Drive has discovered a patent filed by Ford that describes a generator that can be installed in the bed of an electric pickup to provide extended range capability when the main battery runs out of charge.
Tesla Cybertruck Electric Ford F-150 powered by gasoline? Patent shows how it’s possible GENERATOR-2

(Ford)
The package slides into the front of the bed like the utility chests commonly used in pickups and would allow an owner to temporarily turn their truck into a plug-in hybrid, like a Chevrolet Volt or BMW i3 REx.
Tesla Cybertruck Electric Ford F-150 powered by gasoline? Patent shows how it’s possible box

Utility boxes are a common accessory for pickups. (iStock/cudger)
Details on the powertrain contained in it aren’t mentioned, but a diagram of the device shows it to contain an engine, fuel tank, exhaust system and control electronics.
Tesla Cybertruck Electric Ford F-150 powered by gasoline? Patent shows how it’s possible GENERATOR-3

(Ford)
Ford hasn’t commented on the patent, but automakers often seek protection for ideas that aren’t necessarily destined for production.
HERE'S WHAT THE ELECTRIC F-150 LOOKS LIKE
Tesla Cybertruck Electric Ford F-150 powered by gasoline? Patent shows how it’s possible boost

(Ford)
However, the upcoming Ford F-150 PowerBoost hybrid does have a different kind of generator built-in. It can run off of the truck’s battery pack, or in concert with its turbocharged V6, to provide on-site electrical power in lieu of a separate portable generator.
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Honestly, I think this is the legacy automakers way of going electric, taking baby steps and keeping the dealer network happy, same thing with the plug in hybrids. Oh look were giving you what you want, an Electric truck. The dealers like it because these vehicles still need all the service & parts and it's in demand so they mark them up (RAV4 Plug-inHybrid). They are not gonna cut their own throat, but we will see.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
As I keep saying. CT needs to add dynamic charging so it can get range extension from generator or aux battery. Now I have proof it’s going to be in the competition. Thx.
I think it shows that Ford doesn’t think they can get the EV range their customers expect and they are bailing. The CT will get the range that Tesla advertised, so a generator would be extra. This is what happens when you have decades of loyal, and demanding, customers.

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
Well we now know how Ford will solve the lack of a supercharger network. Marketing an electric vehicle that has a gasoline powered generator in the back is:

1) Not surprising coming from a legacy auto manufacturer
2) Is equivalent to marketing "healthy cigarettes". :sneaky:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I actually like the ability to add the generator to extend range. But the number of times it should be needed are pretty small and extreme. I can imagine m Midwest relatives wanting this instead of relying on electric charging each night. Many of them have their own gasoline stand at home with a fuel subscription that keeps their supply topped up. But they don’t have anything like a field of solar cells or Tesla power wall installations. So the extra reliability of gas charging would help especially in emergencies.

But to put a charger in the back of the pickup full time seems like you end up with the worst case scenario. The extra weight makes the electric propulsion less efficient. The gas generator does not assist in power supply to the wheels and takes up a bunch of limited space in the bed.

Now for the CT, I would like this ability for when one is on extremely long off-road trips so that I don’t need to return to chargers as often. But that may not even actually be strictly necessary.

I’ve been watching various off-road vloggers and other than a gas fill up before getting off road, they don’t need to get fuel assistance on the trail. But as they are driving around, their engines are constantly idling between obstacles etc. Seems like the full electric CT would be much more efficient with its power and not waste it on unneeded activity. So theoretically at 500 miles of range the tri-motor CT should be able to match the range of ICE trucks off-road. It will be interesting to see if that is actually the case.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
This is not patentable. It's an obvious use, not a special implementation.

The gas generator does not assist in power supply to the wheels and takes up a bunch of limited space in the bed.
It does take of quite a bit of space - but it does assist power to the wheels. It raises the voltage level in the system.

Gasoline engines are actually quite bad at supplying variable power compared to batteries or static generators. That we use them to move our cars around is mostly legacy. It is far more efficient (and you could generate more power) to have a Tesla drive-train and a generator than it is to have a V8.

-Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I hope it is, but it has an awful lot in it that's not relevant to the specific implementation which makes me think it's not.

I can't think of anything that would be patentable about the design. Here's the patent: https://patentswarm.com/patents/US10773602B2

All of these seem to be things that are patently obvious. There is a pile of dependent patents here, though.

-Crissa

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
This is stupid.