JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
So to be clear glass is a better thermal "conductivity" insulator than stainless or aluminium, but is mostly IR transparent, meaning heat can radiate out through the glass from anything that is warm inside. There are three forms of heat transfer, convection (air flow etc), conduction (material transfer) and radiation. All three forms need to be addressed for proper insulation.

So in the case of the stainless and aluminium they will block or reflect heat radiation, depending on their surface preparation, with smoother and shinier surface being more reflective of light and lower frequency heat radiation. The glass will let the heat through unless it has a filter like low e glass in households, but even then it will have residual emissivity that can and should be blocked with a shiny foil backed insulated window cover, to stop heat radiadiating out from black surfaces inside the CT. Especially on the CT where about 40% of the exposed area is glass. And another reason for a light interior colour.

Thermal conductivity of glass is actually pretty good in general compared to metals. Glass is 1, Stainless 14 but Aluminium is 237. That will essentially get the heat through the CT skin, where convection of air on the outside will either add or remove heat to the interface layer on the outside of the vehicle. The amount of heat exchanged at the surface depends on the mass flow (wind) and temperature difference to the inside.

Air (which is mostly nitrogen) is a good insulator (0.02) so even just trapping air against the glass helps reduce conductivity. Rockwool insulation mats work on the same principle in that stopping microcirculation of air through a otherwise hollow mesh of material, also means that heat convection is minimised. So the thermal conductivity of the air in the spaces is actually creating the insulation properties, not the insulation matt material itself. It's just used as a container to hold the air still, to stop convection. This is also why you will see mats with a reflective layer for blocking radiation.

So the ideal insulator is actually aerogel (lighter than air solid with microbubbles of air), AI it offers the best thermal resistance for its thickness. It's also used for catching micro asteroids without destroying them.

I've often also wondered if Tesla will integrate heat recovery ventilation to reduce HVAC consumption and improve air quality.
Sponsored

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
For snow dwellers, ,maybe set preheat mode for the battery for a bonus warmer bottom.

Schmaggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Preorder cybertruck
Occupation
Carpenter
Country flag
another (big) concern with climate controls in vault is: with the tailgate up, vault won’t hold many of us. Can prob fit sleeping at a diagonal, but that’s a pretty limiting solution, and never the most comfortable orientation.

Not to mention the shape of the vault’s “ceiling” when closed does not seem a terribly spacious place to be.

At some point, with vault closed and tailgate up aren’t you winnowed down to the sleeping footprint of an ultralight trekking pole tent?

I just don’t think a lot of that’s happening in just this space, and with these odd angles.

4E69A844-298C-452B-B380-2FD1F18E3344.jpeg
That's a super weird looking angle, makes the truck look crazy long

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
The CT’s roofline apex is about where a super cab F150’s windshield meets the cab. That makes for a long line from the apex all the way back to the tail end.

6C5C9307-B720-4EFE-89E5-AC9191CFAC71.jpeg
This picture really highlights the new "bumper bulge" hanging underneath the bed.

I really think this is to enlarge the underbed storage area so that a spare wheel will fit into it, which it didn't before. I expect the spare to be optional (optional accessory) but the space to place a spare would otherwise be available for other storage needs if one wasn't required.

I posted this a few years ago, but the large 35" tyres actually don't have much space behind the rear motor and the rear bumper, because of the long CT wheelbase and short rear overhang.

You can see this in the reflection in this CAD render I did in 2019 where I was investigating the spare wheel options.:

Tesla Cybertruck Elon: "I was just reviewing the production beta Cybertruck. It is incredible." Spare Wheel Options - Copy

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Primary purpose of that bulge is aero as it reduces drag. That bulge wouldn't be necessary to fit a spare tire, look at the rear of an F-150 Lightning.

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
I think those are just normal seating surfaces with the seat backs tilted back a bit. The effect that made you think they were lay-flat seats is simply rectilinear distortion from an ultra-wide lens.
Something 'Fisheye' goin' on!

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
This is in the ballpark.

My big concern with the vault is climate control. Doing temperature control on just the cabin is a lot easier than cabin + vault.
Wonder if the rear window 'slot' opens?
Hmmm.....

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
So to be clear glass is a better thermal "conductivity" insulator than stainless or aluminium, but is mostly IR transparent, meaning heat can radiate out through the glass from anything that is warm inside. There are three forms of heat transfer, convection (air flow etc), conduction (material transfer) and radiation. All three forms need to be addressed for proper insulation.

So in the case of the stainless and aluminium they will block or reflect heat radiation, depending on their surface preparation, with smoother and shinier surface being more reflective of light and lower frequency heat radiation. The glass will let the heat through unless it has a filter like low e glass in households, but even then it will have residual emissivity that can and should be blocked with a shiny foil backed insulated window cover, to stop heat radiadiating out from black surfaces inside the CT. Especially on the CT where about 40% of the exposed area is glass. And another reason for a light interior colour.

Thermal conductivity of glass is actually pretty good in general compared to metals. Glass is 1, Stainless 14 but Aluminium is 237. That will essentially get the heat through the CT skin, where convection of air on the outside will either add or remove heat to the interface layer on the outside of the vehicle. The amount of heat exchanged at the surface depends on the mass flow (wind) and temperature difference to the inside.

Air (which is mostly nitrogen) is a good insulator (0.02) so even just trapping air against the glass helps reduce conductivity. Rockwool insulation mats work on the same principle in that stopping microcirculation of air through a otherwise hollow mesh of material, also means that heat convection is minimised. So the thermal conductivity of the air in the spaces is actually creating the insulation properties, not the insulation matt material itself. It's just used as a container to hold the air still, to stop convection. This is also why you will see mats with a reflective layer for blocking radiation.

So the ideal insulator is actually aerogel (lighter than air solid with microbubbles of air), AI it offers the best thermal resistance for its thickness. It's also used for catching micro asteroids without destroying them.

I've often also wondered if Tesla will integrate heat recovery ventilation to reduce HVAC consumption and improve air quality.
I would argue a vacuum (absense of air, not a Dyson) is the best insulator... LOL

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I would argue a vacuum (absense of air, not a Dyson) is the best insulator... LOL
I didn't mean to imply that air was the best, just that in the context of keeping the CT cabin cool or warm to reduce HVAC load, it's the most cost effective and practical way to reduce heat flow. Making a vacuum though would really suck the "whole atmosphere" out of the CT cabin. 😉 :ROFLMAO:

RonGonRetired

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Model S, 2005 Chevy SSR, 2016 Chevy 3500HD High Country
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Have you checked out pricing on gasoline powered crew cab 2023 F-150's if you don't want to get a low-tech, plain jane two-wheel drive without tow packages, or powerful motors?

Dang! Most of the nicer ones are in the mid $70's and you get a crappy, gas guzzling, top-heavy, fragile painted truck with styling from horrorsville.
Replacement cost for my 2016 High country: Prices for a new 2023 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD High Country currently range from $71,495 to $91,015.
Sponsored