Elon, it's finally time to release the Kraken!!!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
OK, I agree. 3 KILLER FEATURES.
I think your #1 and #2 are inextricably linked. If it didn't have great features, it wouldn't be a great value, it would just be cheap. But I'm on board with that.

I guess my point on production is a little more nuanced. Production is something the manufacturer needs if they have a high demand product. GM can produce as many Hummers as they want, I don't think there will ever be a million of those on the road. Not with a base price of $80k for an extremely impractical vehicle.

If you don't provide value, it doesn't matter how many you can produce. There are only a few people who can afford the top end trucks like the Hummer or even the Rivian.

This is going to end up being Tesla's market to own. For the win. To the moon.
To infinity and beyond!!!

Assuming they can figure out this 4680 shit show anyhow.
Sponsored

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I think your #1 and #2 are inextricably linked. If it didn't have great features, it wouldn't be a great value, it would just be cheap. But I'm on board with that.

I guess my point on production is a little more nuanced. Production is something the manufacturer needs if they have a high demand product. GM can produce as many Hummers as they want, I don't think there will ever be a million of those on the road. Not with a base price of $80k for an extremely impractical vehicle.

If you don't provide value, it doesn't matter how many you can produce. There are only a few people who can afford the top end trucks like the Hummer or even the Rivian.
I would argue that GM can't produce as many Hummers as they want. With the chip and battery shortages, there is a physical limit to how many they can produce. Tesla is addressing these shortages themselves with alternative chip development and their own battery plants.

Additionally, from what I understand, many of the EV trucks are priced high but even with the high price they are purported to be produced at a loss. If so, that creates a financial limit to how many can be produced. Tesla is addressing the financial side with practically alien design. By completely redesigning the truck, they are creating something that can be produced affordably at scale. This enables the value proposition of the CT. But more than that, it makes producing them profitable so that there is no financial limit to how many can be produced.

So while I agree that there will never be a million Hummers on the road because of the price, even if the price were to be lowered, I doubt there could be a million of them produced because they would either run out of hardware or run out of cash.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It's like a classic aardvark and egg problem.

GM made the Hummer first because they can't make a lot of trucks. I suspect they thought they could Tesla their way into the truck EV market and make a high end vehicle first then work their way down market.

The big difference is Tesla did the Roadster and Model S when there was almost no competition in the EV space.

I find it perplexing that GM is still doing such a bad job here when they've been making the Bolt for years. My feeling here is GM always looked at the Bolt as a compliance/ showcase car and never took manufacturing EVs at scale seriously.

I suspect the Model 3 and Model Y really opened people's eyes over the past 3 years.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I find it perplexing that GM is still doing such a bad job here when they've been making the Bolt for years. My feeling here is GM always looked at the Bolt as a compliance/ showcase car and never took manufacturing EVs at scale seriously.
Yup, just like the 1999 EV1, GM never intended to scale production.
They styled the EV1 oddly and never really promoted the EV1 so they can claim there is no demand.
They never scale production to get cost reductions from economy of scale so they can claim the EV1 is unprofitable.

GM never scaled production of the Bolt and never fixed problem of dealers hiding them from customers so demand is low.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Da Fuq?

The ramp to the new production target includes plans to build about 15,000 next year after the electric truck's spring launch and 55,000 in 2023, a second source said. Following the launch of the second generation Lightning in late 2025, the annual target is just shy of 160,000.
From Yahoo Finance. They are targeting 15,000 in 2022?

I'm pretty sure Tesla is planning on producing 5,000+ per **Week**. They won't hit that target immediately, but it's likely they will hit that by mid 2023.

(I posed a link to article as a separate thread too because ??)

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
The sad truth of the matter is that GM doesn't actually make the Bolt. It gets shipped to America packed on crates. GM stamps out the body panels and puts on seats and wheels. OK, that's a little bit of an exaggeration (but not that much). The point being is that it was not GM's EV expertise that brought us the Bolt. The EV 1 program was sent so deep in the trash can they had to start from scratch. And rather than actually starting from scratch, they had the S. Koreans develop and manufacture the electric powertrain.

That's not a recipe for developing EV expertise!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The sad truth of the matter is that GM doesn't actually make the Bolt. It gets shipped to America packed on crates. GM stamps out the body panels and puts on seats and wheels. OK, that's a little bit of an exaggeration (but not that much). The point being is that it was not GM's EV expertise that brought us the Bolt. The EV 1 program was sent so deep in the trash can they had to start from scratch. And rather than actually starting from scratch, they had the S. Koreans develop and manufacture the electric powertrain.

That's not a recipe for developing EV expertise!
Pretty sure that's more than just an exaggeration. Otherwise Honda would just cut out the middle man and partner with South Korea as well.

LG makes their batteries, I'm pretty sure GM packages them and makes the sled and the body.

Regardless, GM is clearly still working from 10 year old blueprints. The fact that they had to recall even the newest Bolts suggests their battery tech hasn't changed a ton in the past 5 years either.

OP
OP
Mini2nut

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
As I have stated before, I think Elon's strategy is to wait for the Rivian R1T to go into production and then reveal the Cybertruck shortly thereafter. There is no better way to steal Rivian's thunder.

Every media source under the sun will be publishing stories about the Cybertruck once the production version is revealed to the public. It's going to be craaaazy!

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
As I have stated before, Elon is going to wait for the Rivian R1T to go into production and then reveal the Cybertruck shortly thereafter. There is no better way to steal Rivian's thunder.

Every media source under the sun will be publishing stories about the Cybertruck once the production version is revealed to the public. It's going to be craaaazy!
This is kind of what I was hinting at above.

It would sure be a lot easier to steal their thunder if they had an actual vehicle to demo though...

... or more important, that production start date.

OP
OP
Mini2nut

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
Tesla claimed that the Cybertruck will be entering the Beta phase towards the end of this year so I am remaining optimist.

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
As I have stated before, Elon is going to wait for the Rivian R1T to go into production and then reveal the Cybertruck shortly thereafter. There is no better way to steal Rivian's thunder.

All I can say is come on Rivian get your finger out.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Apparently Ford wanted to nip the Rivian excitement in the bud. They sent out an email to all reservation holders announcing a special event/ tour of the truck.

Tesla Cybertruck Elon, it's finally time to release the Kraken!!! BC93FEAA-E5D4-45E4-BF0D-6C8BFC23338C

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I really think if that Rivian truck starts to actually get delivered Tesla will be feeling the pressure to get the CT built.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
We already know they bought it and shipped it.

-Crissa
I think there is a lot more going on behind the scenes than we realize. It seems like much of Elon’s attention is on spacex and starlink right now so we aren’t getting much info on the factory progress.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Now I really want the song at the reveal of the production version CT to be that kraken reveal song from hotel transylvania. Link

this song totally fits the CT reveal.
Sponsored