Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
So the door shuts will be in stainless steel like the doors, cant have different materials, did I hear that right?
If SS kitchen sinks can be stamped, why not door jams. Just lighter gauge than 3mm.
:)
Sponsored

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Nice! Thanks for posting a summary. (y)
No 48V DC mentioned for CT. â…” thru video, Elon wants out of 12v entirely to embrace ethernet power/comms throughout vehicle system. Vestigial, his word for 12v.

Don’t take these pundit proclamations verbatim. Watch the source material. Pundits love FUD and pot stirring.

flowerlandfilms

First Name
Eryk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha SRV-250, Honda Odyssey RB1
Occupation
Film Maker
Country flag
...i also enjoyed that during this conversation...
...about MBA business managers being overrated...
...Jeff Bezos was stepping down as CEO of Amazon...
...and being replaced my an MBA business manager...

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
If SS kitchen sinks can be stamped, why not door jams. Just lighter gauge than 3mm.
:)
This pretty much confirms that the inner door and interior stampings in the CT will be stainless steel.

The big question is what the outer shell of the battery pack is going to be. Since that's going to be the actual "floor" of the CT, it would be nice to round out the entire CT as stainless steel (less aforementioned aluminum castings which we know are coming).

Revoltlution

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius (CyberSlug)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This is not true. FSD will refuse to work in jurisdictions it isn't allowed in. It will try to navigate out of fields, but it will also refuse to work if it can't connect the path it sees with the maps it knows.

-Crissa
My understanding - No geofencing.
The FSD system (the car) develops a instantaneous 4D (space and time) localized map of the area using cameras and radar to interpret safe areas to drive... no maps or network required. Here's is "the man" Andrew Karpathy describing this exact feature. I've queued the video link to ~3:40.
Elon said it in the Sandy interview too, prime directive is to not crash, in any scenario (i.e. UFO crash lands in the middle of the road). They are trying to skip over the "geofenced" Level 4 (i.e. Waymo), direct to 5, thereby making the world a better place.

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
Great interview!

There were a lot of interesting discussion points, but the two things that stood out to me are:
1) Elon is aware of, and trying to improve build quality. This is reassuring for the Cybertruck.
2) As a CEO, how deep his knowledge is on many topics about the cars and related issues. You can definitely tell he's not an MBA paratrooper, and it gives that much more weight to what he said about that topic.

Bravo!

OP
OP

egandalf

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
Elon is aware of, and trying to improve build quality. This is reassuring for the Cybertruck.
This was my biggest takeaway, too. Folks had speculated that issues like paint and panel gaps might be due to the aging Fremont factory. If the Tesla team is aware of issues and setting up Austin as a greenfield redo using the lessons of the past, then that makes me VERY happy as a CT reservation holder.

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
I believe AP and FSD is geofenched by state/provence level not by city or town level like other solutions are. Some countries in Europe AP/FSD is allowed and others its not due to regulations. I could be wrong but this is what I last recalled in that matter. Just like anything on the inner/external webs... take with a grain of salt. Even with source, one needs to read them as different people have different interpretation..
Me I definitely see AP and FSD as an assisting tool not as a complete replacement. (For now) [Muhhahahaaaaa]

cary1219

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FSD Tri-Motor CyberTruck Pre-Order RN114148589, 2016 FSD Tesla Model S 75, 1982 C10 Stepside, 1974 Corvette Stingray Convertible
Occupation
Industrial Training Coordinator
Country flag
Elan had SN9 on his mind during this 50 minute interview. That tells you how important Sandy is. I have no idea how many hours Elon has in his day. It is definitely more than mine.

SN8 had a better looking landing than SN9. It looks like starting an engine is not that easy. I think in addition to starting a bit early, instead of going from two engines to one for landing, they need to go from three to two. Use less Thrust per engine if things are going OK and more if they are not. I understand that may mean a bit more fuel and less efficient flight but if there are people on board, the additional wiggle room is justified. Like I know better than SpaceX engineers ;) It is just that saying stuff without knowing what you are talking about is fashionable these days ;)

They can only throttle each engine down so far. That's why they cut engines on the way up.

myco.rrhizae

First Name
Myco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 4.9L, Chevy Volt, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Carpenter
Country flag
haha, love it!
munro: "i rather just listen to what you have to say - they say i talk too much... by the way, uh heres some random 5 min story about something irrelevant that you already know"

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
No 48V DC mentioned for CT. â…” thru video, Elon wants out of 12v entirely to embrace ethernet power/comms throughout vehicle system. Vestigial, his word for 12v.

Don’t take these pundit proclamations verbatim. Watch the source material. Pundits love FUD and pot stirring.
If the world stopped for a moment, and Elon could, he would convert all new built Teslas to 48 volts.
But like he said, you can't change the tires on a bus going 80 miles per hour.

The CyberTruck WOULD be a good chance to start using 48 volts, but maybe because the Design and Engineering is completed for the CyberTruck, it is too late. Maybe.

I would think once GigaTexas is fully spun up (Summer 2022) and is producing a lot of Model Ys, and Freemont is producing a lot of Model Ys, you could shut down one of the two lines, and convert over to 48 volt. Then bring that line up, then shut down the other factory, convert, and bring back up. You no longer have just one bus, so to speak.

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
The CyberTruck WOULD be a good chance to start using 48 volts, but maybe because the Design and Engineering is completed for the CyberTruck, it is too late. Maybe.

I would think once GigaTexas is fully spun up (Summer 2022) and is producing a lot of Model Ys, and Freemont is producing a lot of Model Ys, you could shut down one of the two lines, and convert over to 48 volt. Then bring that line up, then shut down the other factory, convert, and bring back up. You no longer have just one bus, so to speak.
Or maybe the Roadster/CT/Semi are 48v as they are on new platforms. But the things to keep in mind are what uses the 12v/48v rails.. Lights, phone chargers, MCU, airbags, seat retentions, radio, breaks, etc.. If all are made in house then they may be able to be engineered to 48v. But if any, just one are outsourced then they are most likely 12v.

Keep in mind that I say 12v, I really mean 12v/24v. As many of these devices can handle both voltages due to being used in cars and diesel trucks. Next time your light shopping you will see that on the back many of the lights say 12v/24v. Also look at you Cig lighter accessories, they will say the same. Some do not, but if you open them up you will see the input power rail uses a 32v smoothing cap.

Anyway, as Elon mentioned in the interview the new Model S will be using a Lithium 12v instead of lead acid. I am curious if that will be a 3S or a 4S battery...
Sponsored