Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck Elon Musk teases ‘lots of improvements’ for the production Cybertruck Tesla-Cybertruck-vs-Ford-F150-1-2-e1574880871925

Elon Musk made some rare new comments on Tesla Cybertruck and gave a better idea of the production ramp for the electric pickup truck.

During the conference call following Tesla’s release of its Q3 2020 financial results, Musk was asked to give more color on the production ramp of the Cybertruck and when we can expect deliveries.

The CEO started by mentioning that he recently did a design review of the Cybertruck with Franz von Holzhausen, Tesla’s Design Chief:

“I was in the studio last Friday with Franz and the team looking over some improvements on the Cybertruck.”
Musk reiterated Tesla’s strategy to always improve on concept vehicles with the production version unlike other automakers who often significantly tone down vehicle from concept to production.

The CEO added:

“There are a lot of small improvements compared to what was unveiled. I think it’s going to be better than what we showed.”
Tesla has apparently been making a lot of changes to the Cybertruck design over the last year since unveiling it in November 2019.

Tesla Cybertruck Elon Musk teases ‘lots of improvements’ for the production Cybertruck Tesla-Cybertruck-main-hero

Musk previously talked about Tesla updating the Cybertruck’s adaptive air suspension. They also talked about making the truck smaller, but Musk scrapped that plan after another design review back in May.

However, several design refinements are expected to be implemented.

As for the timeline to production, Musk did remind everyone that the Cybertruck is tied to Tesla completing Gigafactory Austin in time:

“It’s dependent on completing that factory and there are some new technologies with the high hardness exoskeleton. This has never been done before so there will probably be some challenges.”
Musk said that if all goes well, Tesla should deliver some Cybertrucks in late 2021 as previously announced, but people should not expect volume production until 2022.

Electrek’s Take

To be honest, I have some doubts about Tesla bringing the Cybertruck to production by the end of next year.

Elon did say that deliveries in late 2021 and volume in 2022 is dependent on everything going well.

I put the probabilities of everything going well on both building a brand new factory and deploying brand new manufacturing techniques for an armoured exoskeleton to nearly zero.

Things are bound to not go perfectly.

On top of it, Elon is talking about the Cybertruck design still not being final as of last week?

Sounds like they would need a miracle to bring the electric truck to production next year.

But anyway, Tesla needs to ramp up battery cell production to deliver any significant volume of the Cybertruck and that’s not expected until 2022 so a delay probably wouldn’t have a massive impact on delivery volume as long as the battery cell supply is not secured

SOURCE: ELECTREK
Sponsored

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
“It’s dependent on completing that factory and there are some new technologies with the high hardness exoskeleton. This has never been done before so there will probably be some challenges.”

This is the biggest take away that I took from the article. Nobody has ever manufactured a 3mm thick SS monocoque exoskeleton for a truck or car before. It will be a challenge for the engineers but I know they are up to the task. I visualize rows of origami inspired robots scoring, folding, cutting, and TIG welding the monocoque chassis together.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Tesla-Cybertruck-vs-Ford-F150-1-2-e1574880871925.jpg

Elon Musk made some rare new comments on Tesla Cybertruck and gave a better idea of the production ramp for the electric pickup truck.

During the conference call following Tesla’s release of its Q3 2020 financial results, Musk was asked to give more color on the production ramp of the Cybertruck and when we can expect deliveries.

The CEO started by mentioning that he recently did a design review of the Cybertruck with Franz von Holzhausen, Tesla’s Design Chief:

Musk reiterated Tesla’s strategy to always improve on concept vehicles with the production version unlike other automakers who often significantly tone down vehicle from concept to production.

The CEO added:

Tesla has apparently been making a lot of changes to the Cybertruck design over the last year since unveiling it in November 2019.

Tesla-Cybertruck-main-hero.jpg

Musk previously talked about Tesla updating the Cybertruck’s adaptive air suspension. They also talked about making the truck smaller, but Musk scrapped that plan after another design review back in May.

However, several design refinements are expected to be implemented.

As for the timeline to production, Musk did remind everyone that the Cybertruck is tied to Tesla completing Gigafactory Austin in time:

Musk said that if all goes well, Tesla should deliver some Cybertrucks in late 2021 as previously announced, but people should not expect volume production until 2022.

Electrek’s Take

To be honest, I have some doubts about Tesla bringing the Cybertruck to production by the end of next year.

Elon did say that deliveries in late 2021 and volume in 2022 is dependent on everything going well.

I put the probabilities of everything going well on both building a brand new factory and deploying brand new manufacturing techniques for an armoured exoskeleton to nearly zero.

Things are bound to not go perfectly.

On top of it, Elon is talking about the Cybertruck design still not being final as of last week?

Sounds like they would need a miracle to bring the electric truck to production next year.

But anyway, Tesla needs to ramp up battery cell production to deliver any significant volume of the Cybertruck and that’s not expected until 2022 so a delay probably wouldn’t have a massive impact on delivery volume as long as the battery cell supply is not secured

SOURCE: ELECTREK
History would suggest that you are wrong, but maybe you will be right. The truck will come when it comes.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Well, this is really ideal news. This means they're pretty much going to improve and re-improve Cybertruck until they deliver me mine!!! Yeah it's taking way too long, but hell, it's getting better and better. Since the unveil, Elon has changed it to have better suspension, ka-zillion mile battery, built-in compressor, life's good!

empiredown

Banned
Banned
First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Carrera T, 20 MY LR AWD, 21 F-150
Occupation
Retired and Loving It...
Country flag
Elon just tweeted a USD 2k mark up on FSD as of next Monday as well... so if you’re on the fence.

Tied to improvements and the roll out of limited release of more ability. It’s a ploy for more revenue, but I’ll bet it works.

ß

CyberDingo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual engine
Occupation
Farmer
Country flag
GDay All, I was wondering if there is a "forum" for just asking questions?
I was reading about spare tyres, and IMO a must have in Oz. Have wrecked a tyre 800km from anywhere..I did have three (3) spares though.
Well, my question is: If the rims are sort of of the shelf stud pattern and sizes, are they available out of USA?

maconjt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hoping to be a Cybertruck owner.
Occupation
FMEA Coordinator
Country flag
GDay All, I was wondering if there is a "forum" for just asking questions?
I was reading about spare tyres, and IMO a must have in Oz. Have wrecked a tyre 800km from anywhere..I did have three (3) spares though.
Well, my question is: If the rims are sort of of the shelf stud pattern and sizes, are they available out of USA?
Knowing Elon, that tires would be designed to never deflate or be self-repairing! :)

Hoodie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
Most likely just small design tweak to meet regulation standards, 3rd brake light, brake lights on body, wheels inside fenders, headlights, mirrors? etc.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Most likely just small design tweak to meet regulation standards, 3rd brake light, brake lights on body, wheels inside fenders, headlights, mirrors? etc.
I do not think that Elon Musk would consider any of these 'improvements'. Must be something else.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Most likely just small design tweak to meet regulation standards,
Ya. All minor things. Like migration to 800V architecture, 350 kW charging, structural battery pack... That kind of trivial stuff.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ya. All minor things. Like migration to 800V architecture, 350 kW charging, structural battery pack... That kind of trivial stuff.

What's interesting about the GMC Hummer EV is that it is 400V architecture, but it can charge at 350 kW charger due to "clever switching and relays" that turn the 400V battery into an 800V. The battery is 2 packs stacked in parallel but the electronics turn into 2 packs in series which make it 800V for charging.

I posted several articles stating that GM and other big EV manufacturers was going to 800V architecture.

At least with the new Hummer EV truck they decided to go 400V. But then sometimes the reporting gets watered down to a bit of disinformation, who knows.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I do not think that Elon Musk would consider any of these 'improvements'. Must be something else.
no but could be things like air vents for ac, glove box, center console, pass through to the vault, winches, tow hooks, "crab" or "tank" steering, battery pack designs, solar panels, etc

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
We're going to see lots of discussion on this. The batteries are easily configurable for either 400 or 800 (Rivian also does this), the motors can easily be wound for 400/800. It shouldn't be that big a deal to redesign inverter/rectifiers for 800. I believe the essential fact to be that Tesla must go to 350 kW charging to be competitive and that this is done with nothing but minor tweaks.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We're going to see lots of discussion on this. The batteries are easily configurable for either 400 or 800 (Rivian also does this), the motors can easily be wound for 400/800. It shouldn't be that big a deal to redesign inverter/rectifiers for 800. I believe the essential fact to be that Tesla must go to 350 kW charging to be competitive and that this is done with nothing but minor tweaks.
I can't see Tesla lagging behind other EV manufacturers on charging(they've been a leader in EV's and continue to be), so I'm confident that the CT will have 350kW charging.
Sponsored