Hunter

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Nissan Leaf, Toyota Tachoma, Jeeps
Occupation
General Contractor, retired / Electronics designer/manufacture & software developer in years past
Country flag
This is pretty standard Linux network stuff. I think what we really need is an open source OS for the Tesla, so 1000's of more engineers can move it forward, more quickly, with lots more ideas and features. It already runs Linux. Open it up please.

I think the smartest thing IBM ever did, was open up the design of the early PCs. Yes, they lost it, but look how many more millions of PC's flooded the market because of this.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
W
This is pretty standard Linux network stuff. I think what we really need is an open source OS for the Tesla, so 1000's of more engineers can move it forward, more quickly, with lots more ideas and features. It already runs Linux. Open it up please.

I think the smartest thing IBM ever did, was open up the design of the early PCs. Yes, they lost it, but look how many more millions of PC's flooded the market because of this.
What is stopping software programmers from submitting code, code snippets and executing, in Linux, prototype functionality for submittal to Tesla.

API’s are open source. Tesla obviously is capable of compiling Linux. It is straight forward to cross-compile over to Tesla unpublished UI API’s and write new API’s where trade secret integration occurs. Its not like programmers want SpaceX UX inside their Tesla exactly same as astronauts on Crewed Dragon runs.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I’m pretty sure most of Tesla’s console runs on Linux already.

Older versions definitely were, and I don’t see why they would have changed recently.