JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
The roof apex is probably the worst place aerodynamically to disrupt airflow over the vehicle. The only way to avoid this would be to make a retractable cubby for it up there or somehow shape it aerodynamically and keep it low profile. Wiping down is also not particularly effective when moving if there is no sill to push the water away, like is on most vehicles. Even pushing snow down means that snow is now on your bonnet and will want to come up the seamless frunk and windscreen again when you drive along. Better wiping side to side and get whatever is on the windscreen off the sides.
Sponsored

OP
OP
nomadmusk

nomadmusk

First Name
Droxx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic to Cybertruck
Occupation
2nd infantry of Tesla's Quality Division
Country flag
The roof apex is probably the worst place aerodynamically to disrupt airflow over the vehicle. The only way to avoid this would be to make a retractable cubby for it up there or somehow shape it aerodynamically and keep it low profile. Wiping down is also not particularly effective when moving if there is no sill to push the water away, like is on most vehicles. Even pushing snow down means that snow is now on your bonnet and will want to come up the seamless frunk and windscreen again when you drive along. Better wiping side to side and get whatever is on the windscreen off the sides.
What about all the long storage potential under the a pillar outer? there could be a bigger recess made, and the doors have to drop down anyway. I know based on the m3/y that the B applique (camera module) and b pillar in general has a lot of wasted space; even the thin mX's appliques too.

Would a retractable gooseneck hinge with a wiper attached work?

*Edited for clarity*

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
What about folding out from the top of the b pillar applique (camera) or somewhere under the a pillar outer. There is plenty of long storage space above the doors, you could create even more below the roof rail where the door seal sits and the windows already drop down when opening the doors.

Based on the m3/y there is a lot of wasted space on the b piller applique
So this was from the conversation of having a horizontally mounted windscreen wiper instead of vertical.

I don't think having it vertically like the BAW will be too bad, if you can keep it low profile and it wipes to the side edges to expell water.

OP
OP
nomadmusk

nomadmusk

First Name
Droxx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic to Cybertruck
Occupation
2nd infantry of Tesla's Quality Division
Country flag
I meant for storing the actual wiper when it's not raining to provide better aero.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I meant for storing the actual wiper when it's not raining to provide better aero.
Righto.
If we still do the linear motor thing, I think we can get the wiper itself down to about 1", definitely under 2" thick, if we use a molded rubber wiper with integrated stiffening ribs plus a integrated flat steel plate in either end. At that thickness and if we can keep it about 2-3" from the edge, and we keep the wiper smooth and flat, I don't think we need a aero cubby for it. In fact that would add thickness and would always be there.

A couple of brackets on the edge of the windscreen or a electropermenant magnet setup can hold it there, or on either side.

Deleted member 3316

It would only be aerodynamically different when the wiper is deployed. And when deployed would likely have limited effect (depending on design).

If a linear motor design is used only the first wipe would be a downwards swing, all subsequent wipes would progress horizontally as you suggest would be optimal.
My reference to snow was describing an overnight snowfall snow load, the wipe could be programmed to first push vertically down then if required revert to horizontal sweeps or simply return to being stowed.

Deleted member 11233

I support the vertical parked position of the BAW. However, move the parked position to the left edge of the windshield to minimize a blind spot produced by the BAW if it is parked on the right.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I support the vertical parked position of the BAW. However, move the parked position to the left edge of the windshield to minimize a blind spot produced by the BAW if it is parked on the right.
It's probably behind the pillar from the Driver's point of view.

-Crissa

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I thought of this before but not sure if I'd shared the idea with the forum yet...

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a mode you could put the BAW in where it would not stop at horizontal but keep going brushing snow accumulation off the frunk as well?
Sponsored