Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Here's the video of yesterdays meeting. The question about his succession starts at 2:01:03

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
You should be parsing EM’s aspirations not his askance dogfood for press critters. Otherwise its all trees no forrest.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
The question came from a fund manager who was more worried about succession than anything else.

I think the answer, although flamboyant is legit and emphasises that EM is considering and planning a future for Tesla when he is no longer there.

It's a sign of a great leader to make yourself redundant. In this case it's also a sign of successful continuity of the brand.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
think the answer, although flamboyant is legit and emphasises that EM is considering and planning a future for Tesla when he is no longer there.
That’s one take.
I saw the flippancy as Musk twitter-patter. I did not think EM answered the fund mgr’s question. But immediately expounded on his continued involvement in Tesla, Tesla future and future Tesla products.
That would have answered my question whether EM is planning a potential unthinkable orderly transition with steady hand to grab Tesla’s helm.
Were it not a follow up so structured in an unmistakable “irreplaceable” set of skills, I would take it Tesla is in good hands. But nothing offered in that meeting suggested that any one individual is in mentorship, delegated associative duties nor “chosen” successor.
Investors have to rank succession as “watch”. SteveJobs pumped his life into Apple, packed it product pipeline and chose a man who could meticulously keep it running “if he did nothing” for the next ten years.

Tesla is not that far advanced, yet. Twelve GigaFactories is interesting but not a guarantor to marketshare like technology. Biden’s re-homing manufacturing stateside actually cuts into Tesla’s six year head start on US automotive mfgrs. It might take the affordable market out from under Tesla, since EM hasn’t even started planning for that car.

Last edited:

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
I think the key man problem is overstated with Tesla. Hopefully there is a Tim Apple (;)) type with a bit more charisma in the wings. In the meantime, Mr Musk's wild ride will continue unabated with many cheering him on.

I'm guessing many of his stockholder supporters are uncomfortable with the messaging instability but unlike Twitter, there are BOD level constraints that make him accountable.

So it goes in the crazy world of EM ...
Sponsored