Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
68' Olds - Hidden headlights and it was front wheel drive.

images.jpeg
Yep, There's a 66 Tornado for sale at our local Dodge dealership. They had a huge empty parking lot, so they bought over 50 classic vehicles, and now they are a hybrid car dealer. The Tornado is one of those CRAZY large 2 door cars of the 60's. Also the hood is about 7'. As you said one of the early adopters of front wheel drive. With all that weight and poor suspension, imagine the front tires on that thing!

They even had classics in the showroom. Here's a couple of photos I took while I went there for service on my Pacifica.
I wonder what is going to happen to the value of these old classic cars after the transition to EV's.

Tesla Cybertruck Etu, Honda? 56belair

Tesla Cybertruck Etu, Honda? 66vwbus

Tesla Cybertruck Etu, Honda? austinhealey
Sponsored

Last edited:

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just Purchased: 2021 F150 Hybrid Platinum
Country flag

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
25% of the top-selling automobiles in 2021 are sedans (Camry, Corolla, Civic, Accord, Sentra). They may not be as sexy as trucks, SUVs and crossovers, but I think it is a bit of a stretch to call them dead.

Source: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g36005989/best-selling-cars-2021/
There is nothing special about a sedan except maybe a secure trunk. You might as well have a hatchback. That is the direction most automakers are going. Ford got out of the sedan business for a reason.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
25% of the top-selling automobiles in 2021 are sedans (Camry, Corolla, Civic, Accord, Sentra). They may not be as sexy as trucks, SUVs and crossovers, but I think it is a bit of a stretch to call them dead.

Source: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g36005989/best-selling-cars-2021/
A big part of why sedans are less popular is due to CAFE legislation which has huge loopholes allowing automakers to ignore fuel efficiency regulations on cars which are bigger than a certain size. So US automakers focus on cranking out as many big over-sized fuel economy exempt vehicles as they possibly can. Because it's cheaper to produce big inefficient vehicles.

As we switch over to EVs, it's almost the opposite. Vehicle size, aerodynamics, and weight determine how large the battery capacity you need. The most efficient vehicles on the market are often the least expensive to produce.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
There is nothing special about a sedan except maybe a secure trunk. You might as well have a hatchback. That is the direction most automakers are going. Ford got out of the sedan business for a reason.
Ford’s exit wouldn’t have anything to do with how compelling their sedans were of course.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Didn't Ford get out of sedans because they were getting their assess handed to them by Honda and Toyota... then by Kia and Hyundai. Then Tesla came in and kicked their ass too.

I've owned a couple Ford sedans and my mom owns one now and they all pretty much suck.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
That thing is what happens when design engineers sniff glue.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
A big part of why sedans are less popular is due to CAFE legislation which has huge loopholes allowing automakers to ignore fuel efficiency regulations on cars which are bigger than a certain size. So US automakers focus on cranking out as many big over-sized fuel economy exempt vehicles as they possibly can. Because it's cheaper to produce big inefficient vehicles.

As we switch over to EVs, it's almost the opposite. Vehicle size, aerodynamics, and weight determine how large the battery capacity you need. The most efficient vehicles on the market are often the least expensive to produce.
Right! Early days in EV’s still, the switch hasn’t begun..

Hindsight will reflect Aptera precient - ahead of their time. People are smart. Their tornado strewn, ocean warming hot as hell planet; change is unmistakable and undeniable theirs to make. Capitalism won’t without competition.

Backflash has not ignited. It will. When it does, Teslas may be seen through a lense of abundance. Caution and contempt drive a demand for small, efficient and the affordable.

Mass transit goes Eco-cultural. Personal carriage - the new Jet set. Flying may just be too high a cost for a planet, at tipping point.. Mainstream, whole society’s downsize, disengage and debunk mass consumer psychology.

Range is shrinking along with demand and with it - the products people buy. Consumption for bigger, better, faster and more will be the unacceptable fashion, however you roll.

Apteras futuristic look compared to Teslas which assimilate Apple highend products or Tesla beats SXS to the next new thing in automotive by then.

It will get interesting.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Love the Aptera. Once I get my Cybertruck I need to decide if I'm going to keep my Model Y or get one of those.

Correction. My wife needs to decide since she does most of the in town driving. She's already vetoed the Arcimoto so I'm not sure this will fly.

How close is Aptera to delivering their first units?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

On Betas, expect the first production at the end of 2022. They have their three Alphas done.

-Crissa
Tempting to invest in the company since investors get free reservations.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Love the Aptera. Once I get my Cybertruck I need to decide if I'm going to keep my Model Y or get one of those.

Correction. My wife needs to decide since she does most of the in town driving. She's already vetoed the Arcimoto so I'm not sure this will fly.

How close is Aptera to delivering their first units?
Apteras might be a the cult EV before people catch-on and Aptera punches its own ticket to mainstream (i.e. VW Combi Van, 2002’s, Willeys)

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
Sorry to be a bore,

"Et tu, Brute" is what Caesar said to Brutus in Shakespeare play. Caesar says as he gets shanked by the Senators. Caesar thought Brutus was his friend and he's showing his surprise of the betrayal. Caesar was being more and more of a jackass and he was still surprised when his friend "frontstabs" him.

So when you say Etu Honda, I'm thinking you think Honda is betraying Tesla. I'm thinking you really mean "even you" or "you too?", Ah and to that I say Yes!

More CT and CT knockoffs, throw out the old ideas and start new or even fast follow someone else who is breaking out. When a car is a complete redesign, the outside should say it too.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Sorry to be a bore,

"Et tu, Brute" is what Caesar said to Brutus in Shakespeare play. Caesar says as he gets shanked by the Senators. Caesar thought Brutus was his friend and he's showing his surprise of the betrayal. Caesar was being more and more of a jackass and he was still surprised when his friend "frontstabs" him.

So when you say Etu Honda, I'm thinking you think Honda is betraying Tesla. I'm thinking you really mean "even you" or "you too?", Ah and to that I say Yes!

More CT and CT knockoffs, throw out the old ideas and start new or even fast follow someone else who is breaking out. When a car is a complete redesign, the outside should say it too.
I cringed a bit about spelling also, but I believe Et Tu Brute simply means “You as well Brute”. The phrase doesn’t really indicate betrayal.

the spelling I think is indeed off though
Sponsored